Help me find a new laptop - best solid keyboard

holdeN

Limp Gawd
I'm in the market for a new laptop and wanted to see if you guys had any good recommendations based on what I need. Basically, above all else (performance, features, etc) I want something that is built real well and with a good keyboard. I went to Best Buy and Circuit City to scope out their selection and was pretty disappointed. Almost all of the laptops felt cheap. Especially their keyboards. I like the keyboards that have the hard solid buttons. If they had a laptop that sported a clicky keyboard, I would invest :) The Lenovo's are the best I've seen yet. But I really hate the location of the Fn key. It's a terrible design flaw in my opinion. I saw a Compaq Tablet (tc4400) and it had a pretty sturdy keyboard. But, the screen was too small for my liking. So does anyone know of any models of laptops that have the best design in terms of sturdiness and solid keyboard?

Also, can anyone give any opinion on 15" vs 17"? I've been using small laptops the past few years (12" and 14") and have decided that I'm tired of the cramped feel. Is 17" overkill?

the few people I know who have 17"'s regret it, they feel they're too big and bulky. Niether are gamers however. I like my 15", but I bought it mainly for occasional road trips. Otherwise it's not much more mobile than my desktop. In targust backpack it's not any more trouble to move than the 14" d600 in a breifcase bag I have at work.

HP business line laptops are the way to go. Their keyboards are comparable to those in IBMs.

The 17in is a overkill IMO if you're not going to game on it. 15.4 is the sweet spot for a laptop size. I concur with onetouch40's recommendation. Also see if you can find a lenovo laptop with the FN key where you want it.

Two brands stick out with good keyboard support. IBM Think pads and Dell's latitude Line.

Dells Latitude keyboards are not at HP business level, but IBM's are the best next to HP.

Back