• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me decide on a PSU

lolivegarden

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
117
Hi, I'm building a machine, it's a Dual 8800gt (for now) will be a single GTX 295... Core i7 920, 6GB ram, 3 HD's, 1 Wireless card.

So, I know I should buy something around the 750W range, and I've been looking at the following 4:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256049
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

They are all in the same price range, but I can't really decide, Two of them say "core i7 ready", what does that mean? I figure if it's some sort of connector, the other PSUs can easily adapt. Thanks for the help.
 
"Core i7 ready" is just a marketing gimmick. No special adapter or anything.

The PC P&C S75CF and S75QB are basically the same except for the color and the CF being cheaper. The 700W version of the Silverstone ST75EF 750W PSU was incapable of actually providing its rated wattage/amperage in this JG review. So it's not a good choice.

So basically it comes down to the PC P&C S75CF and Corsair 750TX. IMO, flip a coin. Granted the PC P&C S75CF does perform better than the 750TX, I just happen to like Corsair better as a company.
 
+1 for the Corsair 750TX , if you ever have problems thier customer service is top-notch!
 
The 700W version of the Silverstone ST75EF 750W PSU was incapable of actually providing its rated wattage/amperage in this JG review. So it's not a good choice.

That was the ST70EF...which is based on a new FSP platform. The ST75EF is based on the Seventeam ST-750ZAF
 
Well the pc p&c is a better psu than the corsair. Both have 5 year warrantys though, I'm sure you'll be happy with either
 
They're all perfectly solid supplies. The Corsair and PCP&C units are 60A single rail, while the Antec Truepower looks like it can manage 62A over 4 25A rails. I really don't like the rail design on the Silverstone though. It's 60A split between 25A and 35A rails, which doesn't leave as much flexibility.

Other than that, I'd look at the cooling design and the connectors.

The PCP&C has an 80mm rear fan. Supposedly it's louder than a good 120-140mm bottom fan design, but I've never tried one of those out since they won't work in my pedestal style server case. I've got a Silencer 750, and I don't find it at all bothersome. The fan spins quite slowly at idle, and I'm pretty sure it makes less noise than my case fans. Then again I just replaced a Turbo-Cool 510W with it, and the 510 was loud as hell.

Then there's the connectors. The main differences are the CPU power connectors and the PCI-e plugs.

The Corsair has one 4+4 pin mainboard power connector, while the PCP&C and Antec have a 4 pin and and 8 pin. The extra wires are useful with some mainboards. Many dual proc boards require both, and some overclocking oriented boards have an extra plug to feed the board more power. OTOH, it results in one more extra wire in most cases. I've gotta give the nod to Antec and PCP&C on this one.

The Corsair has 4 6+2 pin PCI-e connectors, while the Antec and the PCP&C have 2 6 pin and 2 6+2 pin plugs. The Corsair setup is possibly more future proof. Currently the way they're building cards they seem to favor 6-pin connectors. If they actually used 2 8-pin plugs on one card that would mean it's pulling more than an 8-pin and a 6-pin could handle together, so probably more than 225W. That could change though, as it's quite possible just using 8-pin plugs everywhere could become the next standard. Corsair wins this round (though the anal retentive about making the inside of a case look as pretty as possible crown might object to the dangling 2-pin extension as unsightly.)
 
Back
Top