Help me decide on a budget system

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
Hello,

my brother has a system that's a couple years old.

Some gigabyte dsp mobo
Core2duo 6200
geforce 8400
2gb generic ram

the kid just games on it, mainly dota, wow tf2 once in a while.
His video card died and needs a new one. It's his bday and was wanting to get a system upgrade. Now I was lookin at some i7's setup's etc.. but it
got pricey. Kinda lookin to stay under 500 and wer gonna re use his hard drives, case and power supply.

I was lookin at some video cards on newegg and ran into this barebones deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.291132

This doesn't seem bad for the money and is everything he needs. He is just worried that with his current machine he won't be able to run Starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they're released. I don't think they will be that demanding and this barebones kit should work for him. What do you think?

We can help you better if you answer questions in the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" thread. And remember: Be specific about the PSU.

If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? 500, no
3) Where do you live? Sacto ca
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific. CPU, mobo, ram and video card
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. Hard drives, dvd rom, case and ps. I might end up buying a new ps for him since i dont know what kind he has currently to be safe.
6) Will you be overclocking? Not at all
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 19in widescreen
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Within a week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc. Nothing special, just basic stuff.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? Yes

Yes that is a nice price on it. Frys is notorious for being out of stock on items in their add. I'm gonna call them in a little bit to pick one up today. How does the fx4650 compare to the 9800gtx? I dont mind springing a little more for a better video card.

How does the fx 4650 compare to the 9800GTX

Last edited:
The 9800 would be better. If You were to get a 4850, that would be comparable and draw less watts.

Well its for him, so what you would build for the $500 you have for hardware. His requirements are in post #3

Gigabyte GA-MA770T
Phenom II x4 965BE 3.4Ghz
2x 2GB DDR3 1600 (4GB)
Asus HD5770 1GB
$545.96

if you choose a Phenom II x3 720BE 2.8Ghz instead it'll be $464.97

both will play his games just fine !!

I dunno about AMD, the last one i built was a k62-450 years ago. Im really leaning towarda the frys deal. I am going to stretch the budget and get him a nice case and ps myself. The 500 is just for cpu, mobo, ram and video.

The Antec 300illusion and earthwatts 500 will last a few years:D .The Antec 4480BII is also good paired with a lower power requirement videocard.

Back