• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me decide! 3200+ or 3000+ for overclocking

mikelz85

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
1,342
I'm going to buy a new chip/mobo (DFI NF4UT) in the next 48 hours, but I can't decide if the 3200+ is worth the extra 25% or $50. I am familiar with overclocking and am surely no newb, but haven't owned a A64 setup yet (does HTT pretty much mean cpu FSB now?). I'm looking to hit 2.7+ with a RBX and a pretty good lab chiller in the loop. I also will run some form of winbond memory, so figure 250 fsb for the memory. From what I've heard the 3000+ might not be the best choice due to the lower multiplier, but can I run really high fsbs with a divider? I don't see why I'd have to run 1:1 (IE 300+ fsb with a memory divider to run 250ish). However the 3200+ is a lot more money to pay for a bigger multiplier. So which should I choose, and can I run dividers (as UTT isn't going to run the 300+ fsbs I need to hit 2.7+ on a 1:1). Personally unless a 3000+ multiplier is going to tie me down despite my cooling, I'd go with the less expensive CPU, as $50 towards a video card is far better money spent IMO, then again I do want to be able to play with my CPU (otherwise the chiller is pointless).
 
You want the 3200+ because the 10x multiplier is nice to have....because 2.7GHz means you're gonna need your memory (if you wanna stay 1:1 that is) at 270MHz, hopefully with tight timings. You're gonna need 300MHz on your memory if you get a 3000+. But, you can always run a divider and keep your memory as high as possible...I just personally prefer 1:1.
 
Dividers won't kill you with A64's. I'd see what bus speed you can get running maybe 2-3-3 and then figure out what divider you need to run that bus speed to get the OC you want out of your 3000+.
 
well, I guess it'd be dividers no matter what, as I don't see running 270 2-2-2 with TwinMos UTT (from what I've seen 245 or so is what to expect). Another question, why is everyone so stuck on 1:1 dividers, is there a performance/post/stability issue with non-1:1? I'd think that 250 2-2-2 with a 1:1 would perform the same as 250 2-2-2 with a divider. So seeing as how I'm going to have to run a memory divider (especially since UTT is not a super high frequency ram), is there any reason to care about the CPU divider? or better, is there a $50 reason?
 
Back
Top