help me choose a smart phone

the snake

[H]ard|Gawd
okay , deal here is that i have an old alltel flip phone that i still use on verizon, i pay a total of $82 after taxes for this old POS.

so i am looking at either a SGS3 or a note 2, but no way am i paying what verizon wants per month, they said about 90 - 100 before taxes ect.

i have kinda looked into straight talk, but they don't offer these phones as far as i can tell, plus i am not sure about the coverage with them.

i went by a t-mobile store today and i can get a S3 for $500 out the door on the month to month deal, or $650 for the note 2, same month top month deal, which is 4g speeds up to 2gb data, and then it goes down to 3g, which i think i can live with, that plan is like $72 per month total cost for plan, insurance, taxes, ect.

i checked online at t-moblie, and i can get the phones for about half those prices, but i will pay from 20- 30 more per month, so it iwll be cheaper to but the phone outright in the long run, if i did the math right.

so my question is , what is the cheapest way to get either phone, and have the lowest total 2 year cost ?

oh and what about this phone, the LG optimus L9, is it worth even considering ?
https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=LG-Optimus-L9

I would look on your local craigslist of on ebay and buy a phone from there. You will save LOTS of money by buying it from someone versus buying it from the store. as for service you can either use straight talk like you posted or simple mobile.

Plan:
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

500 min, unlim txt, unlim data (throttled after 2GB) = $49.99/mo, add $10 for unlim mins, and/or $10 for unlim 4G data for a total of $69.99/mo

Phones:

T-Mobile Galaxy Note II - $699.99
Samsung Galaxy Note II (international unlocked) - $649.99
T-Mobile Galaxy S III (32GB) - $649.99
T-Mobile Galaxy S II (16GB) - $599.99
Samsung Galaxy S III (international unlocked) - $529.99
HTC One X Plus 64GB (international unlocked) - $649.99
Google Nexus 4 - $299/$349

If you want a "cheap" phone paid in full, avoid anything not named "Google Nexus 4." The HTC One X Plus and the Samsung devices are outstanding, just keep in mind that their global successors are about to come out (for the One X and Galaxy S, not the Note). Also, you can get similar hardware in the Blu Quattro series for about half the price (predominantly sold on Amazon). They sell the 4.5, 4.5HD, and the 5.7HD. I'd avoid the 4.5HD given that it's the same price as the Nexus 4 and has lesser hardware. The 5.7HD is a cheap alternative to the Note II but at $300ish, and the 4.5 is a decent starter smartphone with respectable hardware for about $250ish.

You can also T-mobile's no-contract Monthly 4G plans. You lose a few things (e.g. conditional call forwarding, roaming, etc.), but in exchange the plans are cheaper and you don't need a 2-year contract. There's:

$30 for 100 min talk/unlimited text/unlimited data (5GB at full HSPA+, throttled afterwards)
$50 for unlimited everything (100MB of data at full HSPA+, throttled afterwards)
$60 for unlimited everything (2GB of data at full HSPA+, throttled afterwards)
$70 for truly unlimited (no throttling whatsoever)

As for the phone, definitely check out the Nexus 4. If you need more than 16GB storage, consider a Galaxy SII and an SD card (Wal-mart is still selling them new for $329 with $30 of prepaid credit, and you can find them for lower used). It's an older phone, but it's still extremely competent smartphone.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Pre-Paid-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-w-30-Airtime-Card/21631986

Throw in a $30 32GB microSD and you're set.

Last edited:
You can also T-mobile's no-contract Monthly 4G plans. You lose a few things (e.g. conditional call forwarding, roaming, etc.), but in exchange the plans are cheaper and you don't need a 2-year contract. There's:

$30 for 100 min talk/unlimited text/unlimited data (5GB at full HSPA+, throttled afterwards)
$50 for unlimited everything (100MB of data at full HSPA+, throttled afterwards)
$60 for unlimited everything (2GB of data at full HSPA+, throttled afterwards)
$70 for truly unlimited (no throttling whatsoever)

The only problem that I have with those plans is that some are largely useless compared to the Value plans. For example;

$30 plan - If you use very few minutes or don't mind the VOIP workarounds, this is an ideal plan with no competition (except from republic Wireless, but that has serious phone limitations).

$50 plan - T-Mobile offers a value plan for $49.99 that comes with 500 minutes, unlim text, and unlim data (throttled after 2GB). So, there's a choice here between unlimited minutes, or higher unthrottled data allowance. Still, a solid suggestion.

$60 plan - Here is where the wheels fall off the bus. For $59.99, a user on the value plan can choose between 500 min, unlim txt, and truly unlimited data, or unlim minutes, unlim text, and unlim data (throttled after 2GB). In either case, you have more choice, or essentially the same plan for one cent less, but all of the features and roaming you get with a non-pre-paid plan. I see no point in going with the pay as you go $60 plan.

$70 plan - Same thing here, unlimited everything for $69.99/mo. One cent less gets you the same plan, better roaming and more features.

Lastly, the contract plans are subject to corporate discounts whereas the pay as you go plans are not. This is a HUGE difference for me as my employer gets a 15% discount on T-Mobile, to include their Value Plans.

I just bought two bundled StraightTalk plans ($45/mo. unlimited everything), plus AT&T sim cards. I can now go and buy a very nice used AT&T smartphone for pennies on the dollar for what I would spend at retail. This will save me big bucks over my Verizon plan ($165/mo for the two lines), and I can choose a new phone whenever I want, just move the SIM.

what is conditional call forwarding ?
do i need that ?

roaming, how important is that feature ?

not sure if i could trust a used phone

Nobody has commented on the Optimus L9. It looks like a pretty good phone for $200, no contract.

Any thoughts on that?

Nobody has commented on the Optimus L9. It looks like a pretty good phone for $200, no contract.

Any thoughts on that?

Looking at the specs of that phone, it's pretty "meh". The hardware that phone has is 2 years old. Nothing I'd pay $200 for, I'd rather spend an extra $100 for a Nexus 4 and have current specs or find a used Gnex.

Plan:
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

500 min, unlim txt, unlim data (throttled after 2GB) = $49.99/mo, add $10 for unlim mins, and/or $10 for unlim 4G data for a total of $69.99/mo

Phones:

T-Mobile Galaxy Note II - $699.99
Samsung Galaxy Note II (international unlocked) - $649.99
T-Mobile Galaxy S III (32GB) - $649.99
T-Mobile Galaxy S II (16GB) - $599.99
Samsung Galaxy S III (international unlocked) - $529.99
HTC One X Plus 64GB (international unlocked) - $649.99
Google Nexus 4 - $299/$349

If you want a "cheap" phone paid in full, avoid anything not named "Google Nexus 4." The HTC One X Plus and the Samsung devices are outstanding, just keep in mind that their global successors are about to come out (for the One X and Galaxy S, not the Note). Also, you can get similar hardware in the Blu Quattro series for about half the price (predominantly sold on Amazon). They sell the 4.5, 4.5HD, and the 5.7HD. I'd avoid the 4.5HD given that it's the same price as the Nexus 4 and has lesser hardware. The 5.7HD is a cheap alternative to the Note II but at $300ish, and the 4.5 is a decent starter smartphone with respectable hardware for about $250ish.

The value plan gives you unlimited talk text and unlimited (5GB throttle) data for $70 month..

The value plan gives you unlimited talk text and unlimited (5GB throttle) data for $70 month..

As confusing tmobile is with their throttling and plans/prepaid I think its very hard to pick something you won't be happy with.

Any thoughts on that?

Because the Blue Quattro 4.5 is much better for $25-50 more. I mentioned it in my first post in this thread. It's got a Tegra 3, which is 2012 tech, as opposed to 2011 tech. Also as mentioned by several here, you can get a Nexus 4 for $300-$350. But yes, if you want closer to $200, the Blue Quattro 4.5 is the best you can do today.

You are mistaken. The $69.99 Value Plan is unlimited 4G data. They removed the throttle. Now, the pre-paid $70 plan still has the 5GB cap.

Im on the $30 plan with a galaxy nexus. way better that paying outrageously monthly fees for a shitty "free" smartphone

I do the exact same thing. I don't talk much so if I need to make a important call I will use my minutes if it's important I will use the groove ip app. As long as you have good signal the $30 a month is unbeatable

Because the Blue Quattro 4.5 is much better for $25-50 more. I mentioned it in my first post in this thread. It's got a Tegra 3, which is 2012 tech, as opposed to 2011 tech. Also as mentioned by several here, you can get a Nexus 4 for $300-$350. But yes, if you want closer to $200, the Blue Quattro 4.5 is the best you can do today.

You are mistaken. The $69.99 Value Plan is unlimited 4G data. They removed the throttle. Now, the pre-paid $70 plan still has the 5GB cap.

oops forgpt, it's 5GB if you tether for the same price

My wife recently had her phone stolen so we had to buy her a new one but were on a tight budget. We went with the LG Optimus L9 for $200, and I must say that it is a very competent phone. You can get one from Target with a $50 prepaid T-Mobile card for $210 out the door with their promotion going on until February 30th. I am contemplating getting one myself as a personal media player and phone replacement. Currently I am using a Blackberry without a data plan and using an iPod Touch to do stuff with when there is wifi. I would have loved to get a Nexus 4 for $300, but the extra $100 was not justifiable for my family budget.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, unless you need more than 16GB of storage, a slightly better camera, or an AMOLED screen, the Nexus 4 at $349 is a much better option.

another option you can consider depending on whether there is 4G coverage where you live is MetroPCS. While they have been the butt of jokes for years I know quite a few people using them and they have all been pleased with their service especially when you take cost into consideration. Their plan with unlimited minutes, texts, and 4g data is 55 bucks and that is including taxes.

My wife recently had her phone stolen so we had to buy her a new one but were on a tight budget. We went with the LG Optimus L9 for $200, and I must say that it is a very competent phone. You can get one from Target with a $50 prepaid T-Mobile card for $210 out the door with their promotion going on until February 30th. I am contemplating getting one myself as a personal media player and phone replacement. Currently I am using a Blackberry without a data plan and using an iPod Touch to do stuff with when there is wifi. I would have loved to get a Nexus 4 for $300, but the extra $100 was not justifiable for my family budget.

so you get the first month paid on this deal ?

looks like what i may get :)

Nexus 4 @ $299 no contract, no handcuffs.

Straight Talk AT&T @ $45/Month = Unlimited minutes + Unlimited Texts + 2GB/Data.

My Brother and I rocking this setup, zero issues, great service and network, phone is blazing fast, and surprisingly great battery life. I average around 16h total battery with 5h On Screen time.

There is no way, I will a sign a 2yr contract again, and pay double the price for no reason. Is nice to be free :)

got the LG optimus L9 for $200, no contract and a $60 per month plan. might change the plan to either 50 or 70 depending on my usage.

thanks everyone for the advice, it was a tough decision, but i should be happy with this phone

oh and what is a good cover and case to protect this phone, i have heard of otterbox or something ?

My top picks, for some of the best smart phones besides the flagship devices like HTC, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy's would be:

LG Optimus G: Quad Core, 2GB of Ram, 2100 mah battery, 4.7 inch screen 318 ppi, 8mb camera (13 on Sprint version).

Sony Xperia TL: Dual Core, 1GB of Ram, 1850 mah battery, 4.5 inch screen 323 ppi, 8mb camera.

HTC One X+: Quad Core, 1GB of Ram, 2100 mah battery, 4.7 inch screeen 312 ppi, 8mb camera. Also this is a Nvidia Tegra 3 device, on some games and apps you get extended effects.

got the LG optimus L9 for $200, no contract and a $60 per month plan. might change the plan to either 50 or 70 depending on my usage.

thanks everyone for the advice, it was a tough decision, but i should be happy with this phone

The LG Optimus G, is better in my opinion. It's right up there with the Galaxy S3, Note 2, HTC One X+ (actually better), and the iPhone 5.

okay silly question time

is there any way to hook my phone up wireless to my PC to share a connection, i bought a new router a few years ago, but didn't get a wireless router, i kinda doubt that, but wasn't sure if maybe i got a cheap wifi card or something ?

okay silly question time

is there any way to hook my phone up wireless to my PC to share a connection, i bought a new router a few years ago, but didn't get a wireless router, i kinda doubt that, but wasn't sure if maybe i got a cheap wifi card or something ?

It's called mobile hotspot. If you bought the T-Mobile branded L9, then you cannot do this without paying extra for mobile hotspot. If you had bought the $238 Blu Quattro 4.5, as I had suggested, you could do this without a plan, and you'd have a much more powerful phone.

It's called mobile hotspot. If you bought the T-Mobile branded L9, then you cannot do this without paying extra for mobile hotspot. If you had bought the $238 Blu Quattro 4.5, as I had suggested, you could do this without a plan, and you'd have a much more powerful phone.

i don't need to make the phone a mobile hot spot, i want to connect it to my home network without having to buy a new router if i can :)

So I went back today to pick one up for myself. I have been on a dumb phone up until now, but after seeing my wife's phone, I was blown away at what I could be getting for roughly $170. So I went into Target and grabbed one with the $50 prepaid card. Total came out to $215 with the 5% Red Card discount, I walk right up to the return line to return the prepaid card and got $40 back with no hassles. I had the Nexus 4 and the Blu Quattro 4.5 in my cart ready to check out online all night, but I just couldn't justify the extra costs for what I would be using my phone for, which are phone calls, internet, and GPS, which this thing does just as well as those two. If this thing does indeed get Jelly Bean sometime this year, even better!

i don't need to make the phone a mobile hot spot, i want to connect it to my home network without having to buy a new router if i can :)

Ok, so your current router doesn't do wifi? Do you have a Windows 7 laptop? If so, download a program called Connectify, and it (the laptop) will act as a wifi router, broadcasting your internet connection. I don't know of any way to reverse tether over USB.

negative ghostrider T-mobile will auto direct you to webpages that ask you to upgrade...

Back