• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build gaming computer

t3kneak

n00b
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
41
Hi Guys,

I am from Canada and am looking to build a gaming machine. My budget is somewhere between $850-1000 (before taxes) and no higher. I would like to order this computer in within the next week so any input would be appreciated. I am really indifferent between AMD and Intel. As long as the computer is fast and it has a good graphic card and everything is compatible I am happy. I appreciate any input thanks :)

PS. I already have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and windows software so i'm just looking for the desktop pc.
 
If you can squeeze a good i7 rig in there, then that would be the good choice.

If not, go Deneb.

I'm sure everyone else will chime in shortly (answer the FAQ\sticky questions)
 
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$850-1000 before tax

3) Where do you live?

Canada (toronto area)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.



CPU, RAM, MB, DVD/cd combo, case, video card, power supply, hard drive (basically everything you see in a desktop excluding the stuff outside of the case and don't need sound card :p )



5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

-Monitor
-Keyboard
-Mouse
-Speakers


6) Will you be overclocking?

Probably not.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

I will use one that I currently have.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within a week


9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

Whatever is the best and fits within my budget - ie. no preference as long as everything is compatible

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?

Yes I do.



P.S. I probably won't get a sound card and just use the onboard instead :)
 
Last edited:
With your budget in Canadian dollars, an AMD Phenom II X3 or possibly Phenom II X4 will do. But, in regards to your monitor, what size monitor? is this an LCD display? CRT?
 
I wish someone posted a good build for me.... I am on the ncix website and I came up with this.. don't know if the parts are compatible or not...



Processor (CPU) AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Quad Core Processor Socket AM2 2.5GHZ 4MB Cache 125W Retail Box (HD985ZXAGHBOX) (sku: 29153)
$182.75


Motherboard ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/HDMI ATX Nforce 780A SLI Socket AM2 3PCI-E16 2PCI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard (M3N-HT DELUXE/HDMI) (sku: 33504)
$181.26

DDR2 Memory (RAM) Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN Memory Kit (TWIN2X4096-6400C5) (sku: 25228) x 2 = 8gb
$116.72

Video Cards Visiontek Radeon HD 3650 512MB DDR2 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDCP HDTV Out Video Card (900232) (sku: 30041)
$106.27

Computer Case NZXT Apollo ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT No PS Front Audio USB Firewire Black (APOLLO-BK) (sku: 21382) In Stock
$99.78

Power Supply Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan (CMPSU-650TX) (sku: 26414)
$129.99

Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty (WD6400AAKS) (sku: 30004)
$82.99

YOUR TOTAL
All quoted prices are in CANADIAN DOLLARS $899.77


P.S. My monitor is the Samsung Syncmaster 226BW
 
I'll post a sick build for you. But, just need to finish something at work before I can get back to you.
 
I wish someone posted a good build for me....

Dude, it's only been two hours since your first post. In addition, you're Canadian so it takes us(well me at least :)) twice as long to come up with a proper build from Canadian retailers than an American build. So please be patient. Besides you still have a week before you need to buy the parts
 
This is a forum, not a chat room. If you'd like a list of parts faster, look at all the other existing replies for gaming system builds. ;) Otherwise, relax and just be patient.
 
Half of the fun of building your own PC should be picking out the exact parts that YOU want. ;)

Having said that - I would take a close look at the AMD AM3 platform. The X3 and X4 processors can be had for $139 - $189 here in the states. If this is a gaming machine I would get a decent processor but the bigger focus would be a good graphics card.

If you going to game with this machine look at something a little more powerful than a ATI 3650. Look more at the ATI 4800 series or the Nvidia GTX 260 series if you can afford it. You will get a much better gaming experience from those cards. If you are going to only run 1 video card then a 650W PSU is over kill. Look at a decent 520W or 550W. Unless of course you are starting with one card and upgrading to a Crossfire or SLi system.

That WD hard drive is a good drive. They also have a Black edition 640GB drive that has a 32MB cache. ;)
 
hehe fine fine ! I will be more patient, I am just curious to see what sort of builds some people will come up with that's all :)
 
 


Nice build I like it. I am not a fan of the case, I really like the nzxt apollo case for $79 ( http://ncix.com/products/?sku=21382&vpn=APOLLO-BK&manufacture=NZXT )

Will 4gb of ram be sufficient? How will this build be, for it's price ? :) Very nice build again and also very good price. Thanks HardwareGuru :) I would like to still see more builds :D
 
Computer cases are personal preferences. As far as this build, it's pretty good to where I don't see any other better build configurations. Adding a Phenom II X4 Quad cpu into the build will raise the budget. Therefore, you will need to downgrade the graphics. This build I just posted will scream at 1680 x 1050 gaming.
 
NewEgg build

CASE - Antec 300 for $64
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

PSU - Antec EA650 for $100
http://secure.newegg.ca/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

MOBO/CPU - Biostar Tforce TA790GX AM3/AM2+/AM2 790GX + AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0ghz both for $349
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.201075

RAM - 4GB G. Skill DDR2 800 for $52
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

VIDEO CARD - Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB for $240 ($15 MIR)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102830

HDD - WD6401AALS 640GB for $100
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

OPTICAL - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner for $33
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Total: $938
 
Any other builds guys? Thanks HG for the efforts, out of the two which one should I go with :) What is the major difference between the two?
 
Ignore the quad-core processor, as the HD4890 in both of HG's builds is more important when it comes to gaming.

If overclocking is a priority to you, go with HG's first build. The Gigabyte motherboard (in the first build) would give you more overclocking features/options to work with. The Biostar board (in the second build) isn't really a board that's capable of overclocking things well.
 
Okay, so the first build is the best within my budget? Time to order? :) Any other opinions anyone?
 
Is it me or did the price of the Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 jump up to $280 from $265 ? :(
 
Come up with a final list of what you want to buy.

Check out various online retailers -- there is a list available in the GenHard FAQ sticky -- and/or Google to see if there are any deals or sales that you could take advantage of. (Make sure that you're looking at Canada-based retailers if you're using Google.)

Post the final list here for us to make some last-minute critiques. Ensure that you include what you're considering as well as a link that we could view.

There should be at least a couple of comments on your "final" list between now and Monday. But don't wait until Sunday night to post -- research now and post your final build list tonight.
 

I guess this is my only build since no one else posted any, plus people seem to think it's good so I guess that's what I will go with. Any comments?
 
I guess this is my only build since no one else posted any, plus people seem to think it's good so I guess that's what I will go with. Any comments?

none really. It's a solid build.
 
Heh, shopping in CAD prices isn't as fun, since things are priced higher, lol. HG's build is good, go for it.
 
Guys about to order the computer right now, but had a quick question. It says that the 4890 graphic card is unavailable, do you guys think that i will have everything here within 7-10 days if i order the products all in one even if the gfx card is not in stock?
 
Wow thanks HG, finally placed my order with the xfx radeon 4890 card..... whats the difference between this gfx card and the other one? appreciate all your help and quick response... Without you I would probably not have ordered! Would I be able to do a crossfire later if I do decide to get another graphics card?
 
There is no need for your resolution. Radeon HD4890 1Gb is plenty for 1680x0150 gaming. The Antec EA650 with 45A will be pushing it to run 2 x 4890 1GB in Crossfire. But again, I don't see it being a need or even worth it at your resolution.
 
Diggin the build by HardwareGuru, I have the same case and love it... Im selling a recent build too in that case if your interested for $1,000 USD :p Dunno if you are interested or not
 
HardwareGuru Thanks alot ! just got my system and finished assembling... Installing window xp 32bit on it now :)
 
Back
Top