• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build a temporary computer

Nalif

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
223
I'm going on vacation for a month starting Dec 3 - Basically, it would be easier for me to build a computer and have the parts shipped to my destination than it would be for me to take apart and ship my desktop. As an added bonus, I can give the temporary computer to a family member once I'm done with it as a Christmas gift. Keeping in mind this computer will ultimately become a gift, I don't want it to be TOO bad. Here's what I have in mind:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I record and edit video and play a lot of games. I'd like this computer to be able to handle Fallout Vegas on max settings at 1080P WHILE I'm recording my gameplay. The video card MUST have HDMI on it.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Under 1000 including tax and shipping.

3) Where do you live?
I live in CA, but the parts will be shipped to Florida, my destination for Christmas.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
The only part I have is a monitor, so I'll be needing a tower, hard drive, mobo, processor, RAM, power supply, DVD-ROM and any other misc parts I might have left out. For the case, I'm fond of Lian-Li, but it's not a deal breaker if it's not. I like minimalistic over flashy though, so Lian-Li usually fits the bill.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I'm not refusing parts.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Basically I'm using a beater for a monitor, but I plan on upgrading it to a 1080P one in the future.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I fly out Dec 3, and I'd like the parts to be there before I am.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
I don't need any special features. A single video card should be fine, RAID would be pointless. Firewire might be a plus as I do occasionally record video and transfer it over to my PC.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? I don't have an OS, but I'll be wanting a 64-bit one.
 
So you're ordering the parts in California but having the items shipped to Florida? In November basically? And then you're gonna build the PC in Florida?
 
Basically. I'm in California. I'm ordering parts, having them shipped to Florida, where my family lives. I'm living with my family for a month, and plan on using the PC. When the month is over, I'll be giving the PC to a family member for Christmas, and flying back to California.
 
you must be rich bro

i'm sure they would buy a PC locally cheaper instead of you sending one.

r u smoking crack btw ?
 
$200 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU
$94 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 ATX Motherboard
$75 - Corsair XMS CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$240 - Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video CArd
$67 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$20 - LG GH22NS50 DVD Burner
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU
$85 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$110 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM (tax factored in)
----
Total: $981 shipped.

I went with Amazon.com for most of the parts since they don't charge tax for CA residents. Went with a Phenom II X6 over my normal recommendation for a Core i5 since the extra two cores should help out with the recording aspect far more than the Core i5's higher base speed.

@ p.i.m.p
Unless the OP's Christmas present is for a non-gamer, it's cheaper to build a gaming PC than to buy one locally from a store.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
While most places do charge CA residents sales tax, technically the OP is buying parts from Florida since they'll be asking for that address. Right?
 
While most places do charge CA residents sales tax, technically the OP is buying parts from Florida since they'll be asking for that address. Right?

If the OP has the billing address set to and/or if the address on file for the credit card for the purchase is in California, he'll be charged tax since under CA law, he's technically buying parts in California.
 
i'm sure they would buy a PC locally cheaper instead of you sending one.?

If this weren't going to be a gift, I wouldn't be doing this. And this is going to be for a gamer ;)

Also, my brother is going to be making the purchase. As he lives in FL, I won't be charged tax by Newegg. Sorry I forgot to mention this.
 
Also, my brother is going to be making the purchase. As he lives in FL, I won't be charged tax by Newegg. Sorry I forgot to mention this.

Yeah that would have saved me a bit of time, man.

Anyway, since you're buying these parts from Florida and from Newegg, you can take advanatage of Newegg's combo deals. Unfortunately you've made this post a bit early since Newegg's combo deals expires at the end of every month. However, please come back in a week or two and bump up this thread. By then, Newegg's November combo deals should be fully refreshed and readily available. That means you save money.
 
Have you considered a laptop? Not sure if it would meet your NV requirements. A $1k laptop could most definitely run it, but maybe not maxed out.

Another consideration is returning the components after 1 month and paying the 15% restocking fee. Essentially, you "rent" the computer listed above for $150
 
Have you considered a laptop? Not sure if it would meet your NV requirements. A $1k laptop could most definitely run it, but maybe not maxed out.
Not interested in a laptop as my family member would have no need for one.

Another consideration is returning the components after 1 month and paying the 15% restocking fee. Essentially, you "rent" the computer listed above for $150

Then I'd be out of a gift for Christmas :confused:
 
Back
Top