• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build a new gaming computer

Kagato Obsidian

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 9, 2002
Messages
265
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
3D graphics design, photoshop, and gaming.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
It's not set in stone, but around 1k

3) Where do you live?
Florida

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, mobo, processor, video card, RAM, harddrives, monitor. Mouse and keyboard not needed.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
mouse and keyboard

6) Will you be overclocking?
I'm not against it.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I'd like at least 24"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Near future/Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
No specific features required.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I do not. I'd like to use Windows 64bit.


Basically, I'd like to build a new computer and give my old one away to my girlfriend. My old machine is a Q6600 with GTX 260. For this new computer, I'd like to get an SSD if it can fit into my budget, and have a larger secondary hard drive for storage purposes. For cases, I've always leaned towards minimalism. I've usually gone Lian-Li in the past. My last case was a PC-A05NB, and I'm not totally against using that case again. Also, I'm picky about having a neat looking inside, so I'd like a modular power supply.
 
$284 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU + Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard Combo
$120 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$189 - Gigabyte GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$96 - Seasonc X650 Gold 650W Modular PSU (use promo code "PSU126" to knock it down to that price. Buy the PSU ASAP!)
$150 - Acer G235HAbd Black 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor
---
Total: $910 plus tax and shipping

Case wise, choose your own case. I recommend these cases:
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S 1000 RC-1100-KSN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$200 - Cooler Master ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$200 - Lian Li PC-B25F ATX Case
$240 - Silverstone FT02B-W ATX Case
$220 - Lian Li PC-A71F Black ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case
$330 - Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Full Tower ATX Case
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the help! I ordered the power supply right away since it was such a great deal. I'm kinda worried about the mobo/CPU combo, though. I noticed the mobo has on-board video. I realize that I can turn it off and simply use the video card, but it just feels like I'd be throwing money away for a feature I'm not going to use.

Also, I'd like to get a SSD. If budget is the problem, I can go higher. 1500 isn't a problem, and I could go as high as 2000 if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.
 
Thanks for the help! I ordered the power supply right away since it was such a great deal. I'm kinda worried about the mobo/CPU combo, though. I noticed the mobo has on-board video. I realize that I can turn it off and simply use the video card, but it just feels like I'd be throwing money away for a feature I'm not going to use.
The non-onboard video version, the 890FX chipset, of the mobo I chose actually costs more. So you're actually not throwing away money. Not to mention, that onboard can still be used as a backup just in case your video card ever dies. Also, IIRC, you can still use that onboard video in conjunction with a dedicated AMD video card to add additional monitors to the PC.
Thanks for the help! I ordered the power supply
Also, I'd like to get a SSD. If budget is the problem, I can go higher. 1500 isn't a problem, and I could go as high as 2000 if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.
Then I recommend these SSDs alongside the build above:
$145 - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SSD
$200 - Intel SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" 80GB SSD
$250 - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SSD
 
I've been out of the loop on hardware for a while, but looking around, it looks like there's some new stuff coming out shortly after ( 10 days? ) Christmas. Would I benefit greatly if I were to put off purchasing until around that time, or is it mostly not going to make a difference?
 
Last edited:
I've been out of the loop on hardware for a while, but looking around, it looks like there's some new stuff coming out shortly after ( 10 days? ) Christmas. Would I benefit greatly if I were to put off purchasing until around that time, or is it mostly not going to make a difference?

The new CPU releases won't affect current AMD pricing. If you want to extend your budget by another $150 or so, then it might be worth waiting till January 5th for the release of Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs.
 
Back
Top