Help me break the laws of physics here

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
So I sold my reference 7900xtx and bought a thick boy sapphire omg wtf jfc oc one. This fucker is huge, quad slot. I measured before I bought it, I just measured wrong. Now the middle case fan can't fit.

How can I make the middle fan fit?

Attachments

• PXL_20240512_165113939.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240512_165113939.MP.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240512_165118109.jpg
    PXL_20240512_165118109.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240512_165133674.jpg
    PXL_20240512_165133674.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 1
It's not going to fit unless you want to get ghetto with a Dremel or you have mad welding and paint skills to redesign your case. Even if you have the skills for the latter, I'd recommend getting a bigger case. It's probably going to be a lot less of a headache.

Last edited:
Hmmm put in a 140mm and then take the now two un used be quiet fans and replace the noctua a12x25s in my noctua dh15.

What's the quietest and best 140mm?

NF-A14? more air, less noise.
but those stock noctua fans are hard to beat...

Move all the fans to the front side of the case and screw them from inside. May require a bit of fudging the front panel but I just did mine that way to accommodate a giant 3070 into a mid size case.

If you decide to just change nothing (a strong option here), you could tell yourself that would you put a fan there a large part would simply be blocked right away by the GPU and you can see the CPU fan (that not that far) by that hole

its 2db quieter than you a12s... guess youll have to hit up google, see whats out there.
I had multiple noctua 14s and the 15 that came with my dh15. They were anything other than quiet the whooosh when they spun up ffs.

But I think this was before I delidded my 6700k.. Still though

Slim 15mm such as the arctic 120mm slim, mount them on the front of the case if possible? Or just plain not put one there.

I have the same card. Yes it is a quad slot beast. Runs quiet and cool tho.

I had a Corsair Air 540 and was able to mount the fans on the front of the case and the front panel had enough clearance for the fans.
would that be possible with your case?
IMG_0828.JPG

Noctua's slim 120 is okay, not super quiet but it pushes a decent amount of air for the noise. Silverstone's slim 120 is very quiet, but probably doesn't push as much air.

Keep in mind, the noctua fans included with their CPU coolers are tuned differently than the ones you buy individually. The CPU fans are tuned for static pressure, and are louder, because they aren't meant to be on a case intake/exhaust where they can be heard easily, and you need more pressure to push through the tight fins.

you dont. upgrade the top to a 140. well i guess if theres room you could front mount it behind the bezel.
This is closest to what I'd do.

If you have a 14mm/fast 12mm case Noctua fan, what is likely happening is that the Noctua static pressure fans don't like being close to other fans, which is what you have going on in your smaller case.
What you can try to lower noise is shimmy them by 5-10 mm front or aft; you have a chance of obtaining a sweet spot where the interaction between the Nocs and the CPU fan won't be significant enough to manifest as whooshing. If you get a boxed NF fan, some come with the low-noise adapter that takes away some RPM but can also fix noise.

Even if you could make it fit, is it worth it? It'll be 60% obstructed, making more noise than airflow.

Here's ss and Arctic's slim fans specs, fwiw:

Screenshot_2024-06-04-08-04-42-29_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

Assuming they are accurate, the arctic fan would be way better on a heatsink or with a very restrictive filter/mesh in the way, but it'd be more than double the noise at top speed. Either ss fan would be way quieter, but also have much less static pressure and move less air. The one I have is the FN124, use it in my misterfpga case since it's quiet and doesn't need much airflow, but it does move a decent amount.

So I took the path of least resistance and ordered a SilverStone SST-AS120B, slim 120mm. I just want it to move some air, better than the nothing that is currently there. I can plug it into a separate fan header so it's not the same profile as my two BeQuiets.

Why this fan? This review convinced me

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiRMyCz1Cz0&ab_channel=CrazyTechLab

The SilverStone SST-AS120B came in at the top, Noctua slim 120mm was in the middle, and the SilverStone FN124 mentioned above as at the bottom.

Will let you all know when it comes in and how it performs. pics too

Do you even need the fan? It looks like you have plenty of airflow even without it.

yeah but then i need to research the queitest 140m, buy it, then decide what to do with the be quiet silent wings one I just bought. made more sense to add in a thin one, keep everything out exists, and get moderate air

I used the 140mm version of that slim fan, it worked fine but couldn't go above about 50% max rpm without striking blade to frame. I figure the 120mm will be better, but know that it will move some air, but not a ton. But at least it was quiet.

The fan came in today, damn it is thin. I'll install it tomorrow and report back.

We didn't break the laws of physics, but we sure gave it a run for it's money

Yeah, 15mm is small, and they make 10mm thick fans too! (but they're less than 60mm and spin > 3000 rpm minimum, only really good for unrestricted air or if you have no alternative)

Something is better than nothing! doing the job and I can't hear it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240606_132412570.jpg
    PXL_20240606_132412570.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
You cant hear it because it isn't moving any air lol :p

So why couldnt you just mount it on the other side so it isnt fighting against pressure/turbulence?

Id remove it, increase your exhaust fans so that pressure moves air through the opening, maybe 3d print a mount to tilt the fan above it down toward the video card to move air across it.

That's exactly what I was doing with mine- didn't seem to move a ton of air, but there was a noticeable drop in water temp (it was like adding another 140mm rad).

Back