Help me backup a business (DATs & Backup Exec)

DragonNOA1

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to backup a Windows 2000 desktop that a business has put all their important software on (they said it was cheaper than buying a server OS). Anyway, I was looking at Acronis, which looks good, but also wanted to compare Backup Exec and there are literaly hundreds of versions. Can anyone recommend me a version or their experiences with either software?

Also, they will need to take those images away from the business at night. With backups being a max 80GB, can anyone recommend a backup solution that can easily be taken home, like DATs or DLTs (preferrably links to products) that you have used or that would work good for this situation?

Is there a budget for all this? Probably $500 dollars for software and hardware, but I'm sure it could be squeezed upwards a little.

Thanks for your help.

I havent used Backup exec much,....does it let you restore from a CD or something?

When yo usay they have there 'important software' on it...do you mean all there files or actually installed programs/software.

if its software..then youd need an imaging program like Ghost or Acronis..if its files, you could use NTBackup or Backup exec (I actually just setup a small biz with 'Second Copy' and its pretty easy for them)

Good luck with "software AND hardware" for a server for under 500 bucks.

I'm pretty much done with tape drives, prefer removable disk now. Iomega REV drives..internal SCSI, or Dells PowerVault RD1000..which is a removable hot swap laptop SATA drive.

I would like to image the whole HD so that they could be back up with as little downtime as possible.

Have you used Dells PowerVault RD1000 StoneCat? How is the backup software? What about using the RD1000 with Acronis?

I would like to image the whole HD so that they could be back up with as little downtime as possible.

Have you used Dells PowerVault RD1000 StoneCat? How is the backup software? What about using the RD1000 with Acronis?

Yes I have several clients using the RD1000...I love the drive. Fast, so far...it's been durable. The backup software that comes with it stinks. Same with the backup software that comes with Iomegas REV drives.

Some backup software won't work with it directly...so I share it out, and within the backup folder, select backup to folder..going to \\servername\vault for example.

Recently tried to get Acronis working on it..no luck yet, but I don't think it's the drives fault.

Probably stupid question but the RD1000 says it has laptop drives in them; are you able to swap out the drive and put a new one in or is it all sealed up?

I'll probably be going with the RD1000. Thanks for the recommendation!

Back