Help make a choice?

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
hmms.

I don't have any motherboard issues with my Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 rev 1.0. Maybe you can help me make a choice.
Option A
1. Sell my UD3 and buy a ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z (230$) Sell UD3- 80$
2. Sell my 8120 and buy a 8320 (164$) Sell 8120 100$
Option B
3. Keep both 8120 and UD3 and grab another radiator and a GPU water block. (7950 GPU) (200$)

I'd like to see how the Asus board stacks up against my UD3 rev 1.0 in the overclocking department. Opition B would give me the largest performance boost in games, as a water cooled graphics card would clocked much higher than it can on air due to heat concerns, as well as much my computer silent completely.

Hard choices. haha.

I have also considered just selling the UD3 and 8120 and picking up a 3570k or a 3770k., Although those options are a bit out of budget.

Option A.3
Sell UD3, buy Asus Sabertooth 990fx.

I'd go with A.2 + A.3, if you can.

I don't like the sabertooth. I would get the crosshair v Z if i changed motherboard.

I have a problem with the AM3+ boards they are still rather expensive for something that is going to get one more round of cpu before it is end of line.

According to Jim from Rage3D (from his interview) Kaveri should launch early 2H of this year, that would mean that somewhere close around the corner there should be Steamroller before the end of the year ?

I'd get the 83XX chip and sell your current one. I can't imagine that the new board is going to clock $150 better than your current one, compared to the $65 bump for a better processor.

its not always about clock rate.

The crosshair board has better audio, and better lan as well. I doubt I will clock much higher as i'm at 4.9ghz already.

I ordered a 8320, and gpu water block + another radiator today. Cpu was a bit cheaper than exected at 152$. Got the radiator and gpu block for 180$ shipped.

bit over budget, but I sell my 8120 to a friend today, so all works out.

I don't think you will get any higher overclock on another mb. (maybe less) The added features will be nice and we have possibly one more upgrade left from AMD on that socket. I even have a hard time believing it runs stable at 4.9 on that board or any. My cpu wont. Gets way to hot to be stable while stressing with my cooling. The 83xx series is about 200mhz faster than the bulldozer per clock. Give or take on what you run. If your not happy with that cpu @ 4.9 now well ide say go with Intel and see what all the fuss is about. That AMD @ 4.9 should do anything you need. If you just want to look at benchmark numbers then overclock the 3770 and enjoy.

well i sold the 8120, and got the 8320.

Its not so much that I need to upgrade, its I'd like a bit more performance in some games. the 8120 even at 4.9ghz doesn't boast great single core performance. The Gpu water block is because my computer is already water cooled. Heat is not really a issue for me.

Anyway I put the 8320 in last night, didn't change any settings in bios or anything, and attempted to boot. 4.9ghz at 1.5 volts. Computer started up just fine, and completed all stress testing. This cpu is also stable at 4.9ghz with 1.5 volts. Great news! back to the bios i go.

Set bios for 5052 (215 fsb x 23.5) same voltage 1.5 volts. Stable.
Set bios for 5160 (215fsb x 24) same voltage 1.5 unstable
Set bios for 5160 (215x 24) voltage 1.525 stable
set bios for 5267 (215x24.5) same voltage 1.525 unstable
set bios for 5267 (215x24.5) voltage 1.55 unstable

Max clock settled for 5052 at 1.5 volts. Performance wise it is a small upgrade over my previous processor. However for the 40$ to make the switch was well worth it.

Think I am going to order the gpu water block and another 240 radiator. I like silence.

Last edited:
Back