Help! Laptop going crazy! HP DV9000

Shadowssong

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, got a friends laptop here and it has a very weird display problem.

Let me start by showing you this:

1256c88.jpg

This is what shows when the laptop is hooked up to my monitor via VGA. The actual LCD on the laptop is slightly lit up but doesn't display the same picture (it doesn't display anything).

Story is he was on skype video chat and then it said over and over again that it "Display driver has failed, but has been successfully recovered". Obviously the display isn't working.

Model: DV9330us HP DV9000 series

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know all that much about troubleshooting laptops, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
since these are the nVidia Geforce 7600 it most likely is the video card has died. It may not be but we everex xt5000T users with go 7600's have seen many a problen with the video card.........

Thanks TAN, I googled 7600 go and I got a ton of hits for DV9000 failure. Turns out HP was putting in subpar parts and caused the gpu to overheat therefore frying it. I was going to ask if disassembling the laptop and possibly trying to increase the cooling (replace the paste, lap the heatsink) but I realized the damage has probably already been done. Seems like the laptop is just a scrap piece now unless HP offers to replace it, which they most likely won't.
Well time to give my friend the bad news about his laptop :(

i had similar experiences with older inpspirons. the thermal paste fails within a couple years and the laptop, if not corrected, will fry itself.

im pretty much at the point, that, with cheap laptops its best to bleed out the 1 yr warranty then disassemble yourself and repaste everything. clean out all the dust and then youll be set for at least a few years.

It doesn't mean much, as HP still only covered a few select models (likely models which sold less) with a 'special' warranty.

So this is why I haven't bothered to buy a new laptop.. I'm still using older 2002 year laptops without a problem

I have tried the penny between the gpu and heatsink.. it's working for me. I didn't have the video problems BUT I have the reboot 3 times before it stays on problem which required me to hold my torch lighter to every moffet chip and power ic on the mainboard. :D

Back