HELP! Just hooked up my gigabit switch, now the internet is crazy slow!!!

I just plugged in my gs108 gigabit switch into my network, and now the internet is going incredibly slow? Where could the problem be. Here are the before and after:

AFTER:

Cable modem ---> WRT54G (nothing else plugged into)----> GS108 (Has auto uplink) ---> 4 networks PC's

BEFORE:

Cable Modem---> WRT54G ----> 4 networked pcs

I didnt hard reboot or restart the router? Should I have?

i would recommend powercycling everything..in order of how u have it.. make sure one is up and running properly before u power on the next.

what cables are you using? cat5's?

As a general rule, you want everything running before the PCs come on (although its not that big of deal with XP+)

Unplug/Shut Down everything.

Power up the modem. Wait for the lights to tell you it is online and functional. Then bring up the switch. Then the router. Then the PCs.

This gets everything plugged into the router turned ON before the router is on (PCs go on last though). Some routers (the WRT54G is funny about this sometimes) have to have everything else on first or they get screwed up.

See if that does anything. If not, the next question will def. be... How do you have everything configured?

I shut everything down and powered it up in order -- no luck.

I disconnected the switch and went back to the old setup (shutdown and startup in order) and now the NET is STILL slow.....what gives.

Change the NICs back out for Fast Ethernet?

Change any router settings going over to Gigabit that you forgot to switch when going back to the old system?

If you can find what is causing the slowdown with the old system- you probably found the slowdown with the new system as well.

Your cables all plugged in OK?

Try directly connecting the modem to a PC. Does it still run slow (IOW its the router)?

Change the NICs back out for Fast Ethernet?

Change any router settings going over to Gigabit that you forgot to switch when going back to the old system?

If you can find what is causing the slowdown with the old system- you probably found the slowdown with the new system as well.

Your cables all plugged in OK?

Try directly connecting the modem to a PC. Does it still run slow (IOW its the router)?
To add one more question ... Is Jumbo Frames turned on? (If so, turn it off.)

Might want to manually set the ethernet speed and duplex settings on the computer's ethernet interface. A duplex mismatch would cause a crazy slowdown.

Here are my dr tcp settings

TCP receive 256960
Windows scaling Yes
time stamping No
Selective Acks Yes
Path MTU discovery Yes
Black Hole Detection No
Max Duplicate Acks 2
TTL 64

MTU

To add one more question ... Is Jumbo Frames turned on? (If so, turn it off.)

Clarification - Is Jumbo Frames turned on at the GS108 box? (If so, turn it off and power cycle the network and all attached devices.)

Considering that you have this problem with the switch disconnected, I don't think it's the switch. Besides, it's unmanaged so you can't configure it.

Try connecting just a single computer to the network and see what its performance is like.
Try connecting directly without the router.
Try contacting your ISP's support.

Try connecting directly without the router.

I've already asked him to do this and so far it seems he has ignored it...

The bottom line? If it works without the router- it is going to be your router. As because the old system is now slow too (with just the router), its the only thing stopping you.

If it works directly connected- you found your problem. It may even be DNS settings (I recommend OpenDNS for that).

When i switched back to only router, the performance drop was still there.

When i plugged my laptop in front of the router , to the cable modem, it was very fast.

When i switched back to only router, the performance drop was still there.

When i plugged my laptop in front of the router , to the cable modem, it was very fast.

then its your router

I don't know. I still think you changed something though...

Have you tried resetting everything to factory default?

I'm also trying to setup my htpc now, and its having a really rough time connecting to the network. At first it was troubles with the NIC, but now it cant find a network address. It just get stuck when trying to aquire one. Could this be attributed to my current problem?

I've enabled openDNS , but the diminished speeds continue.

I'm also trying to setup my htpc now, and its having a really rough time connecting to the network. At first it was troubles with the NIC, but now it cant find a network address. It just get stuck when trying to aquire one. Could this be attributed to my current problem?

Is your router the only device giving out IP addresses?

Might want to manually set the ethernet speed and duplex settings on the computer's ethernet interface. A duplex mismatch would cause a crazy slowdown.

QFT - I've seen lots of situations where the AUTO setting just doesn't cut it, and that applies to duplex settings also. If this is a managed switch, make sure the port that connects to your PC has matched settings to the computers NIC.

Well i picked up the buffalo router on the way home from dinner. I'll do a new setup tonight and report back with some speed tests.

Wow. Installed the buffalo router. Tested it with and without the switch. Here are the results.

With WRT54G 2 days ago (4/8/07)

Speed test Last Result: - Similar With and without Switch
Download Speed: 9729 kbps
Upload Speed: 490 kbps

New buffalo WRH -Similar with and without switch (4/10/07)
3768kbps down
377 kbps up

Straight into cable modem
4100 Down
375 Up

Now i assume its on their end. So i called up and she sent some "refresher signals" but they didnt do so good. They scheduled a tech to come out thursday. I know we have some crappy wiring from the alley behind our house ( In brooklyn, ny , so everyone shares old equipment). New coax was barrelled into the old crap that came from the box. Who knows what they are going to do.

dude - you are getting 9729 down in brooklyn ? Which provider do you have ? I'm stuck in Queens and, with regard to cable, can only get Time Warner and Earthlink -- enough said.:mad:

where did you get your speed tests from ?

Try this site, it uses distributed servers across several countries.

www.speedtest.net

with regard to your issue -- it doesn't seem to be an issue with your router. I'd take the switch out of the equation and test your download speeds. If the problem persists, then it would appear to be an issue on the carrier side and/or duplex/speed settings mismatching between the cable modem and router.

FYI -- www.openDNS.com is a great tool for faster name resolution on the web but it doesn't speed up download speed.

Back