Help, for a little kid, fast responses please!

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
Hi my fellow [H] forumers :)

I am building an old pc for charity donation. It will go to a poor family with two kids, a 10y old girl and a 5y old boy. The pc is really old, a K6 450mhz amd 128mb ram and god knows what gcard (though, the box is really small and really beautiful, I would date it... eeerrr I mean it is good looking :) ).

Now... what games can I reasonably install in that machine?

If you have ANY good suggestions, I would love to hear them. It is 24:00 here now, and I must have it ready till tomorrow morning, so I would love fast as possible responses.

I want them to take it and have fun with it, and be all happy faces :)

PS. I have installed windows xp on it
PS2. The boy LOVES spiderman

um.. oregon trail, um maybe some of the old math blaster games.. thats about all i can think of that a kid these days might find fun..

btw installing xp on that thing was probably a bad idea.. windows 98 SE would of been a much better choice with that amount of ram..

Oregon Trail is pretty win.

I loved this game called Dino Park Tycoon when I was little. My school had it on the computer lab pc's, and we'd all play that instead of actually doing what we were supposed to (usually Mavis Beacon lol)

edit: Where the hell did you get those parts? Those things are OLD lol.

Last edited:
Some version of "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego".

Unreal Tournament, Freespace 2, possibly Serious Sam. The Sims for the girl, maybe even MYST.

Diablo 1 / StarCraft 1 / Red Alert

It was a blast in old time...

btw installing xp on that thing was probably a bad idea.. windows 98 SE would of been a much better choice with that amount of ram..

Agree. There's not going to be much left for anything else as XP likes to use roughly ~90 - 150mb of ram by itself. If possible throw in another 128 MB atleast.

By the way, I wonder if it will even be able to browse the internet, all the flash ads these days could probably bring a system like that down to its knees. Do them a favor and increase the lifespine of it by setting up a high restriction guest account, then give the parents the administrator's password. Maybe setup Firefox with Adblock+ too so the system doesn't die trying to load up useless Flash ads.

In addition to those already listed;

Warcraft II, X-com, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, Duke 3D (debatable, I played it at around 12 or so, and I turned out ok :p), Roller Coaster Tycoon, Stars!, Civ II, Half-Life 1 (if the thing has any sort of 3Daccel, though might run fine in software), System Shock 1/2, Balders Gate... probably a few more too, though you'll have to determine the suitability of the games (or maybe their parents will).

this system might be able to run counter-strike? +1 for oregon trail, get the kid some games that teach him something. also, Gizmos & Gadgets! that game was so fun and teaches you physics.

Don't really know games for a 5 year old boy or 10 year old girl but heres some.

(Since we don't know what video card you have, some of these may not work or will run slow)
Spider-Man (came out in 2001, never played it but has low requirements and you said the boy loves Spider-Man)
Mechwarrior 4 (free at mektek.net)
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2
Command and Conquer Renegade (fps game)
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Warcraft games (W3's minimum requirement is 400mhz, 128mb ram, 8mb video card but needs to be Directx 8.1)
Starcraft
Total Annhilation
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Ages of Empire 2
You could almost run BF1942 (graphics card will need hardware texture and lighting feature)

Depending on the graphics card you could possibly run a decent amount of games that came out before 2003. My friend had a similar computer in 2003 and I had a 600mhz amd and we both could run most games .

Last edited:
that machine is frankly so old its not that useful.. would think u could find some old spare p4 old business comp for donation someplace.

Adding to this good list, I would suggest

Dark Reign (RTS)
Wizardy Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Loom
SpaceQuest (perhaps a bit too young for this)
Monkey Island

By the way, I wonder if it will even be able to browse the internet, all the flash ads these days could probably bring a system like that down to its knees. Do them a favor and increase the lifespine of it by setting up a high restriction guest account, then give the parents the administrator's password. Maybe setup Firefox with Adblock+ too so the system doesn't die trying to load up useless Flash ads.

firefox is a horrible choice on a system with only 128mb of ram.. firefox alone uses 150 megs with 1 flash page.. i'd go with google chrome but since it already has IE on it might as well just use that.. but all the other stuff i agree with..

You Don't Know Jack would also be a good choice for the machine of it's age.

Guys thank you for all your answers :)

After seeing that the pc could barely run snes emulators, and feeling sad trying to imagine a kid that takes the pc and finds out it is insanely underpowered, I went out and bought some used components.

So, I built for them a Pentium 4 @ 3GHz, 1.2gb ram, onboard vga, and 80gbs hdd. Plus the 15 inch tft i would give to them anyway :)

I keep many of your suggestions, but regarding the change of specs, I would love some more :)

Will keep it today and try to get it ready so I can hand it over in a day or two tops.

Thank you again, have in mind that some of their smiles that the pc will hopefully cause will be due to you.

Guys thank you for all your answers :)

After seeing that the pc could barely run snes emulators, and feeling sad trying to imagine a kid that takes the pc and finds out it is insanely underpowered, I went out and bought some used components.

So, I built for them a Pentium 4 @ 3GHz, 1.2gb ram, onboard vga, and 80gbs hdd. Plus the 15 inch tft i would give to them anyway :)

I keep many of your suggestions, but regarding the change of specs, I would love some more :)

Will keep it today and try to get it ready so I can hand it over in a day or two tops.

Thank you again, have in mind that some of their smiles that the pc will hopefully cause will be due to you.

Good choice IMO. I was originally going to post that I thought it was almost a waste to give them a PC that is so old that you couldn't even really browse the web on it. I changed my mind thinking perhaps that was all you could afford to put together, and it was for a good cause.

Anyway, the new system opens up a TON of options for games for the kids, and it won't have problems on the web. They will definitely enjoy it more and get more use out of it now. Good work!

What kind of video card does it take and whats the onboard? I have some old vga cards that might be better than the onboard, but not by much.

the internet is the best thing you can give them. maybe cover a cheap dialup acct for a year or something.

btw, you can probably install steam and some free games.... but then I realized the specs...

Thank you all again, the pc was given today and the kids were all smiles :D Great help fellow [H] people :)

Back