Help explaining Windows HDR settings

MRAB54

Gawd
I have an Acer XV273k monitor with HDR-400. Do I need to set "Use HDR" in Windows display settings as well as turning on HDR on my monitor settings to make everything work the way it should? Or is it enough to simply turn it on in the monitor? If I only set it in Windows, everything is totally washed out. If I set it in both, looks good. If I turn off in Windows and turn on in Monitor looks Ok too but seems slightly different than with both on. Is there a reason to turn it on for a game when it doesn't support it? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, turn it on on the display and in the windows settings. expect shenanigans if you enable it. Might be fine, might look a mess. Used to be it made the whole desktop look washed out but I think they eventually “fixed” it with a brightness slider?

Enabling HDR on my 27GL850-B makes everything look completely washed out. I don't even use it even thought my monitor supports HDR.

On my LG 34" UW, HDR can be enabled in both Windows and on the monitor, and everything looks good.

It's only HDR 400, so it's not the most amazing experience, but it does help a little bit.

The other cheaper HDR monitors I've tried look horrible in Windows (washed out) no matter the settings.

So it depends on the monitor if this will work for you.

Everything in PC uses SDR and unfortunately SDR stuff in HDR container usually looks bad. Sometimes you can tweak it to make it look good but it is better to keep it off if you want the best SDR image. Some games like Red Dead Redemption 2 require you to turn it on if you want play in HDR (which is a hassle) but others like Mass Effect Andromeda and Shadow Warriors 2 do not require it. They will bypass the Windows 10 HDR setting and send HDR signal anyway if they detect a HDR capable display and your screen will happily play it as such.

Back