HELP !!! Did CrossFire Of Two 7950's Fry My Onboard Audio ???

Decided to setup 2 HD7950's on my Asus P8z77v- Pro and i7-3770k CPU setup to improve FPS in gaming. Especially for games with ultra video settings. Started up my rig in X-fire mode and nothing connected to the realtek audio works. I can only get audio via HDMI.

From advice from another forum, I checked the BIOS and Windows Settings to see if the GPU drivers bumped out the Realtek audio, but answer is no. The Realtek speakers were still default.

Removed both cards and plugged video into the onboard GPU, still nothing. Even the optical out isn't generating that red light.

What a horrible outcome for my first multi Card setup, if my realtek audio is really toast.

First thing to try is reinstall your motherboards audio drivers, if you haven't already.

same thing happened when I crossfired my 7970s on my P8Z68-V and only the optical audio out works now. I ended up getting a Xonar DGX and disabled my onboard ound.

No, you didn't fry anything. You simply introduced a new audio driver / source to your PC ( HDMI Audio ) which is now the default audio source. Go into the audio control panel and change it back to the realtek on-board audio.

That's educated guess.

No, you didn't fry anything. You simply introduced a new audio driver / source to your PC ( HDMI Audio ) which is now the default audio source. Go into the audio control panel and change it back to the realtek on-board audio.

That's educated guess.

Yup, this is probably it, happens often enough.

Yup, this is probably it, happens often enough.

It does with my 3770K system. It's always had this issue.

When I install the AMD video drivers I go the custom route and uncheck the HDMI audio drivers.

They seem to battle with the onboard audio. Occasionally it will reset the audio to HDMI. I would put it back, but after a couple of reboots, bam, back to HDMI again. I just deny it the drivers and it stays with the onboard audio route.

My HDMI monitor has speakers but they sound like ass.

I did change it back several times. The realtek speaker option says nothing plugged in, but they are and not being detected.

The onboard audio worked fine for several months when there was just a single card with all catalyst video driver components installed. It went belly up only after booting up in crossfire. No other drivers were installed.

So did going into crossfire mode activate this driver conflict?

Just ran another experiment. Removed all HDD's and video cards with the monitor connected to the onboard video. Installed a fresh instance of windows 7 on a spare drive I had. Only installed realtek drivers, but not the video drivers.

Same result, no audio.

I used to have an Asus x58 Sabertooth that did the same thing. had two video cards installed and the onboard sound went poof. everything else still worked fine, just no more audio. After I did some research I found that it was a known problem with the Asus x58 sabertooth. So, it is possible that is what happened with you but just keep trying the normal troubleshooting stuff too

Edit: and the second video card was the catalyst to the onboard sound no longer working

I used to have an Asus x58 Sabertooth that did the same thing. had two video cards installed and the onboard sound went poof. everything else still worked fine, just no more audio. After I did some research I found that it was a known problem with the Asus x58 sabertooth. So, it is possible that is what happened with you but just keep trying the normal troubleshooting stuff too

Edit: and the second video card was the catalyst to the onboard sound no longer working

Hah, happened to me as well, asus sabertooth x79. I sli'd my cards and now no more onboard audio! It detects the headset/speaker, but does not produce sound,( although I can see the sound bar moving as if I were to hear something. I'm just waiting till I dig my motherboard disc out.

I ended up buying a sound card.

Maybe it is Windows fault! Stupid updates,

When I install the AMD video drivers I go the custom route and uncheck the HDMI audio drivers.

This seems like it would work. Use AMD's driver removal utility and reinstall without the HDMI audio. There should be no "AMD High Definition Audio Device" under Sound in Device Manager. If it installs a driver from Windows Update you can try right clicking and disabling it.

I've had the same problem on at least two motherboards as well, it isn't limited to Asus, Gigabytes do it too. After a lot of fiddling around with it I ended up getting my onboard back but I have no idea how. I went through two OS installs and multiple driver installs and then eventually it started working somehow.

This seems like it would work. Use AMD's driver removal utility and reinstall without the HDMI audio. There should be no "AMD High Definition Audio Device" under Sound in Device Manager. If it installs a driver from Windows Update you can try right clicking and disabling it.

But a fresh install of windows 7 and all GPU's removed did not bring back onboard audio. There were no AMD drivers installed and video was from the onboard video. Just the onboard realtek drivers were installed.

Back