Help Decide a New Office Desk

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to replace my existing office desk. The current one is very basic; it holds a single (raised) monitor with a few random shelves. I'm looking around online to find some good places to buy from. I've been considering some L-shaped desks and corner units. Material preference would probably be wood, though I've also considered glass or metal.

I will be using the desk for work/personal computer programming projects, some light gaming, and doing personal finances.

Some thoughts...
- Support for two monitors is required (three would be a plus)
- No large cabinet- or pull-out-style units.
- Plenty of depth for keyboard, mouse, and monitors. Or a pull-out tray for keyboard and mouse. (I just don't want to be directly in front of the monitors.)
- Built-in shelves or other small storage areas would be a big plus.
- A brick-and-mortar store would be nice; there's something to be said about seeing something in person.
- I do like the "raised" shelf that the current desk has, and would like to have the monitors sit at eye level with the new desk. Alternatively, a wide enough monitor platform could be purchased and placed on the desk. (Please share any thoughts on that idea.)

Please include a link to any manufacturers' websites and/or links to specific candidates. If possible, please share where you've purchased a home office desk. Also include any other questions that would help give better suggestions.

I'm a huge fan of the Ikea Galant series. They make a variety of shapes (rectangular units, corner units, etc.). You can also add a drawer unit and everything about them is modular, so you can extend the desk or change its shape later. There are 3 different surface types (birch - light wood, beech - slightly darker wood, and black), and you can view them in person at any Ikea Store. You can also buy a raised shelf for the monitor. One of the desks at my nearest Ikea store had a corner desk set up with the shelf, and it looked great.

Here is a picture posted by someone else on this forum; I liked the setup so much I saved the pic and eventually bought my own Galant (I have yet to put it together; still deciding on paint color for my room):

wallcolor.jpg

If you want a pull-out tray for the keyboard and mouse, you might consider the Matteus:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30064057

Ikea FTW. I got a DIY 'table' from ikea for about $45. It's basically their biggest table top (black) with four screw on legs. The table is really sturdy and really big. Like big enough for three or four 24" monitors. Very cheap too. If you're going for more class, go with the Galant.

Table top: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10071172

Legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10105290

Not as cool as a Galant but about three hundred dollars cheaper. lawl.

I also mounted a LACK wall shelf (also black) a few inches above the table on the wall, creating a monitor stand. Looks really modern and clean. I'll post pics soon.

LACK Wall Shelf: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40159106

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the good details, I'll look more into these links after work.

Slightly off-topic thought...
I feel that the pictures on the Ikea site are really lacking. It's difficult to truly visualize a desk in any location by picture alone. The dimensions help some, but the tiny pictures are really hurting the visualization. Are there any better sites that show-off Ikea furniture? (I'm asking b/c several votes were for Ikea's products.)

Edit: Just remembered about monitor arms from imyourzero's picture. That could be a good alternative to my previous statement of fitting multiple monitors with a shelf.

Last edited:
Edit: Just remembered about monitor arms from imyourzero's picture. That could be a good alternative to my previous statement of fitting multiple monitors with a shelf.

That would depend on your budget. Naturally monitor arms look sick, but a $30 monitor shelf/stand is hard to beat for the price/looks ratio.

Here is my current setup:

100_4349.jpg

100_4354.jpg

Another Ikea Galant desk with the T-Leg option. I need to add a third monitor but I've had other priorities as of late.

Nice setup Dan_D. I bought that desk in black, got it home, realized that everything else is black (keyboards, mice, speakers, receiver, PC case, HDTV, monitors, file server, headphones, etc.) and that if I kept that one it would be looking into a black hole. So I drove 3 hours each way to Ikea the next weekend and exchanged it for the birch :eek: which should make for a nice contrast.

But I really like your setup; it's clean and yeah, you do need a third monitor. That would be just bad ass.

I also like how you're prepared for zombies or a sudden break-in. Is that a 1911?

Nice setup Dan_D. I bought that desk in black, got it home, realized that everything else is black (keyboards, mice, speakers, receiver, PC case, HDTV, monitors, file server, headphones, etc.) and that if I kept that one it would be looking into a black hole. So I drove 3 hours each way to Ikea the next weekend and exchanged it for the birch :eek: which should make for a nice contrast.

But I really like your setup; it's clean and yeah, you do need a third monitor. That would be just bad ass.

I also like how you're prepared for zombies or a sudden break-in. Is that a 1911?

Yes, that's the gun that never leaves my side. A Springfield Armory M1911-A1 TRP SS in .45ACP. :D

The Ikea desks are a good option as they seem to be pretty good for the price. I was thinking of getting one myself but didn't feel like driving an hour and a half each way to get to the nearest store.

I went and got a 6 foot folding banquet table. Picked one up from staples for like 65 bucks. Thinking of going and getting another. These tables are designed to business use and to stand up to some abuse. Mine currently has my dual 22 inch lcds on my main computer, a 19 inch lcd, speakers, mac mini, and 2 sets of keyboards/mice. Main computer(in a 4u case) is sitting on a stand under it. Might pick up a 4 foot or another 6 foot to do the L thing.

Closest Ikea is about 4 hours away, so I'm considering a weekend roadtrip with a cargo van. The "Everything Office Furniture" site does have a few alternatives. Just need to sort out the office arrangement first.

@Dan_D -- I like that setup.... Is your desk the black/brown color listed on Ikea's site? The pictures on the Ikea website much less quality than what you posted, and I'd like to be sure.

Closest Ikea is about 4 hours away, so I'm considering a weekend roadtrip with a cargo van. The "Everything Office Furniture" site does have a few alternatives. Just need to sort out the office arrangement first.

@Dan_D -- I like that setup.... Is your desk the black/brown color listed on Ikea's site? The pictures on the Ikea website much less quality than what you posted, and I'd like to be sure.

Yes, that is the black brown color. It's an extremely dark brown. At a glance it's more black than brown. The pictures actually depict the color pretty well.

Yes, that's the gun that never leaves my side. A Springfield Armory M1911-A1 TRP SS in .45ACP. :D

Nice! I like the SA 1911s. And if it was in anything other than .45 ACP, you'd have lost a ton of points. ;)

this is a good thread. I've been wanting a new desk for awhile now. I haven't been too impressed with ikea, just because most of their stuff is cheap..but..these pics have me leaning towards checking out one of these ikea desks. Thanks fellas.

Nice! I like the SA 1911s. And if it was in anything other than .45 ACP, you'd have lost a ton of points. ;)

the only problem with .45 is..it's sold out everywhere. I've got a .40, and it's still hard to find affordable ammo for it. .9mm is what seems to be everywhere and you can get a box of 50 rounds for like 10 bucks. Anyway, happy shooting fellas. I got my guns in my sig.

the only problem with .45 is..it's sold out everywhere. I've got a .40, and it's still hard to find affordable ammo for it. .9mm is what seems to be everywhere and you can get a box of 50 rounds for like 10 bucks. Anyway, happy shooting fellas. I got my guns in my sig.

I can find any caliber of ammunition I want all day. Local, online, whatever.

Another option if you want some storage is to get one of the $45 4-cube shelves (I don't remember the name, but you'll know it when you see it) and the tabletop with screw-on clamps to connect to that, use it for one or both sides to replace the legs.

(Looking back, it may not be very clear what I mean... Don't know how to phrase it better, though)

Another option if you want some storage is to get one of the $45 4-cube shelves (I don't remember the name, but you'll know it when you see it) and the tabletop with screw-on clamps to connect to that, use it for one or both sides to replace the legs.

(Looking back, it may not be very clear what I mean... Don't know how to phrase it better, though)
Is this something from Ikea?
What color/material is it?

Is this something from Ikea?
What color/material is it?

Yes, and I looked up the name. EXPEDIT. The 4 cube (2x2) version is only $45. There's a bracket you can use to connect a tabletop to it, and you can use one on either side, or just one side, with a normal leg on the other. You can get a bigger one too if you want. They should have one set up like that at the IKEA for you to see; it might not be deep enough for you, but I think you can change out the table-tops to make it more or less exactly what you want. You can get baskets / drawers / doors for the cubes, too, so it's very flexible. I sometimes kick myself for not going that route instead of my current glass top L desk. Could've made it exactly what I wanted and I'd have a lot fewer shitty looking wire shelves in my office..

Forgot the colors question. Black-brown, white, birch, walnut.

Last edited:
I can find any caliber of ammunition I want all day. Local, online, whatever.

well yeah, if you want to pay a premium for it. I'm talking about cheap range ammo, that you can just blow through just because you want to shoot some shit.

@Dan_D: How did you handle the wire management with your setup?

@silent-circuit: Very cool. Thanks for the details about the shelves.

The more I look at the Ikea desks, the more I'm liking the various options. Some of it is still a bit difficult to visualize, but a weekend visit to the Ikea store should clear up any details.

I'm really considering the Galant series of desks. Probably the L shaped or L-Combination. Please pass along any other tweaks/suggestions to that desk, too!

I really like this desk, because of it's simplicity. Can you tell me is this thing sturdy enough?

I've got 2 24 inch dell monitors, and i also like to put my rig up on my desk. The Rig probably weighs like 20 or 30 lbs. And then the usual stuff, speakers, keyboard, mouse, a drink, maybe some books or papers if i'm reading or studying. I also like to put my feet up on the table too. Will that be an issue?

I guess i'll have to go on down to the local ikea and check this shit out.

@Dan_D: How did you handle the wire management with your setup?

@silent-circuit: Very cool. Thanks for the details about the shelves.

The more I look at the Ikea desks, the more I'm liking the various options. Some of it is still a bit difficult to visualize, but a weekend visit to the Ikea store should clear up any details.

I'm really considering the Galant series of desks. Probably the L shaped or L-Combination. Please pass along any other tweaks/suggestions to that desk, too!

I just zip tied the wires to the desk frame. It's all tied up under the desktop where you can't see it. The only wires you can see are the audio wiring that goes to my receiver. Those wires were simply too short and as a result, they aren't where I want them to be. I've been planning to do something about that but I haven't gotten around to it.

I really like this desk, because of it's simplicity. Can you tell me is this thing sturdy enough?

I've got 2 24 inch dell monitors, and i also like to put my rig up on my desk. The Rig probably weighs like 20 or 30 lbs. And then the usual stuff, speakers, keyboard, mouse, a drink, maybe some books or papers if i'm reading or studying. I also like to put my feet up on the table too. Will that be an issue?

I guess i'll have to go on down to the local ikea and check this shit out.

These desks are extremely sturdy. I wouldn't worry about that.

another question for you. It looks like those legs in that picture go down at an angle. (it also looks that way in the ikea photos). Do those legs, come down under the desk, OR do they extend outside the area of the desk? Meaning, this desk is a corner desk, so i'm assuming you can push the desk up against a corner right? theres no wasted space in the corners, or on the edges right?

another question for you. It looks like those legs in that picture go down at an angle. (it also looks that way in the ikea photos). Do those legs, come down under the desk, OR do they extend outside the area of the desk? Meaning, this desk is a corner desk, so i'm assuming you can push the desk up against a corner right? theres no wasted space in the corners, or on the edges right?

Neither the A-leg or T-leg versions extend past the desktop. So yes, you can push the desk all the way into the corner if you so desire.

I dig the ikea simplicity, but They dont make them big enough for my taste..

If you have basic sanding screws & the knoledge of how to work a screw driver & paint brush you can make your own.. I Dont remember the total cost, but it was well under 200 bucks.. & I know it looks like its sagging in the pic, but its not & I easily have a total of 300+ lbs on it now..

I dig the ikea simplicity, but They dont make them big enough for my taste..

If you have basic sanding screws & the knoledge of how to work a screw driver & paint brush you can make your own.. I Dont remember the total cost, but it was well under 200 bucks.. & I know it looks like its sagging in the pic, but its not & I easily have a total of 300+ lbs on it now..

Technically with the extensions you can make these as big as you want to.

Technically with the extensions you can make these as big as you want to.

Technically no you cant.. I am a big guy & Wanted it deeper which is not something ikea does.. Mine is a solid surface thats something like 34" by 94" making it about 5" deeper then ikea offers.

Technically no you cant.. I am a big guy & Wanted it deeper which is not something ikea does.. Mine is a solid surface thats something like 34" by 94" making it about 5" deeper then ikea offers.

Apparently you haven't seen the Conference Table, which makes for a damn large desk and is deeper than what you described. It's not as wide, but I sat at this desk in person and it's plenty wide for most people who don't need it to span an entire wall. It's freaking huge, and VERY deep.

I'm not knocking what you did; the DIY was a great project and anyone with the time and skills to do that would be wise to check into it as your options are virtually limitless. But for people who are OK with paying a slight premium for pre-made components that they can just throw them together in the course of an afternoon or evening, the Ikea stuff isn't a bad option. The design is simple, it looks great, and the corner desks are completely modular so you can add and remove pieces as necessary to accommodate just about any need.

Apparently you haven't seen the Conference Table, which makes for a damn large desk and is deeper than what you described. It's not as wide, but I sat at this desk in person and it's plenty wide for most people who don't need it to span an entire wall. It's freaking huge, and VERY deep.

I'm not knocking what you did; the DIY was a great project and anyone with the time and skills to do that would be wise to check into it as your options are virtually limitless. But for people who are OK with paying a slight premium for pre-made components that they can just throw them together in the course of an afternoon or evening, the Ikea stuff isn't a bad option. The design is simple, it looks great, and the corner desks are completely modular so you can add and remove pieces as necessary to accommodate just about any need.

no actually I hadnt seen that before.. I dont like the crap built into the desk either though. The reason I like ikea is the plain simplicity & that looses some of it.

And I dont know how or why, but the black ikea legs for 3.50 each is a steal.. I couldnt find anything close on either amazon or ebay..

Here is my current setup:

100_4349.jpg

[/IMG]

Another Ikea Galant desk with the T-Leg option. I need to add a third monitor but I've had other priorities as of late.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19836057

Is this the exact one you have? Or did you "build" your own? I'm pretty interested in the desk, although, $420 is pretty steep for an item from ikea in my opinion. That being said, i've gone through at least 3 $200 desks in the last few years, moving and stuff.

I didn't like that dark black/brown until i saw your pics. The ikea stock photos, don't do the desk justice.

that ikea desk is sturdy, my uncle has the same one, 6'6 , 260lbs him self and always leans on the middle, no bending, 2 x 24' and a cooler master stacker case on top, along with a laser printer, modem, phone, speakers, and other crap.

Is this the exact one you have? Or did you "build" your own? I'm pretty interested in the desk, although, $420 is pretty steep for an item from ikea in my opinion. That being said, i've gone through at least 3 $200 desks in the last few years, moving and stuff.

I didn't like that dark black/brown until i saw your pics. The ikea stock photos, don't do the desk justice.

That's really what I have. Yeah it was about that price, but I couldn't think of anything else that was in the same price range that could handle 3 Dell 3007WFP's and some other stuff.

+1 for IKEA. I made the mistake of buying some glass desk on sale from Office Depot and it started falling apart a little over a month later. IKEA is inexpensive, and you build it yourself, but their stuff lasts and is very durable.

Does Ikea use real wood and not the fake composite junk? In other words, does the wood bow like my junk l-shaped desk from Staples? I'm digging the Galant, but I need a surface that doesn't budge.

That's really what I have. Yeah it was about that price, but I couldn't think of anything else that was in the same price range that could handle 3 Dell 3007WFP's and some other stuff.

Alright, last question and then i'll stop bothering you. The ikea site, isn't very descriptive. It lists the dimensions as Length: 90 1/2 " and Width: 78 3/4 ", but, it doesn't say which one is which, can you measure each leg of your desk and let me know? That would be a huge favor! Finally, you mentioned that these are pretty much modular, and you can customize them all you want. So i could buy the desk that we are talking about(link below), and if i needed to i could remote the little curved extension ends if need be right?

Back