help choosing components for non-gaming SFF system

tonygibbs

n00b
I'm building a non-gaming SFF system that I'll be using as I travel the country. I've ordered an M1 case from NCASE, so I'm hoping you guys can suggest the best components for use in that case. These are my answers to the list of questions in the sticky post:

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).

Prioritized as 1, 2, & 3:
1. Primarily for software development. Mostly running bloated MS products like Visual Studio, SQL Server, but also web servers (Apache, IIS). I’ll mostly be running compilers and debugging code
1. I’ll be taking the PC on the road pretty regularly, so durability and weight are also concerns.
2. Would like to be able to use multiple monitors
2. Occasional need for running Photoshop and other Adobe Products
3. Less occasional use as HTPC, though this is a very low priority
I’m planning to install the OS on an SSD and use HDD for all other data. I will not be using it for gaming.

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)

No

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

Including tax and shipping, my budget is about $2000K, but it’s flexible. The most important factor in component selection is performance. Cost is secondary.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California, so I have access to brick and mortar chains.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).

I’m planning to use an M1 case from NCASE, unless it turns out this is a poor choice for my needs. I’ll need components that will work with that case:
A powerful CPU, RAM, motherboard, SSD for OS, HDD for data, power supply, appropriate fans. Optical drive (slim)

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

No reused parts.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

At least a couple USB 3.0. *required*
HDMI output *required*
integrated wireless. * required*
ethernet *wanted*

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
If I can get 2 monitor output, that would be perfect. 1080p playback would be nice, but not required. I assume I can get this with integrated graphics?

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

It needs to fit in carry on as I travel. This is why I got the M1 case. I’d really like an internal optical drive, which is another reason I went with M1. If it ends up being untenable, I can make do with an external drive.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

Not comfortable at all.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care

Noise level not important, within reason. I'll be using the system in an office.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

Mobility is very important. I’ll be taking it as carry on for trips at least 3-4 times year. Weight and dimensions should fit within these constraints. The M1 carry bag looks perfect.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards
I have a legit version of Windows 8.1

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?
As soon as my M1 case arrives in 6-8 weeks.

How much storage do you need? For a $2000 budget and no gaming you can likely afford a larger SSD.

Does the budget include any need for monitor(s)?

You could likely build something smaller than the M1.

I mean, you could go with something the size of the Lone L1 or L2, put 2x 512gb SSDs in it and power it with a pico PSU. More than plenty for powering a 4790k CPU.

The only thing you would lose is optical but yeah... I haven't used a dvd in years. If you might need it you could easily carry a slim usb dvd drive.

The case is like half the size and weight of the M1? If portability is important to you this is what you should consider.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see you already had the case ordered.

Thanks for the replies...

The 2K budget does not include a monitor. I'd need about 1000GB of total storage.

I took a look at the Lone L1. I like the size, for sure. My concern was that at that size, it wouldn't be able to properly cool the higher powered CPUs. Is that not an issue?

The 2K budget does not include a monitor. I'd need about 1000GB of total storage.

The 1TB Evo 840 SSD is on sale today and tomorrow for $409 at Newegg.. cheapest it's ever been. Still relatively pricely, but having only a single drive (and/or adding a 2nd 2.5" mechanical drive when needed will keep your weight down).

And +1 to the new 4790k.. that and maybe a C14 air-cooler (if you can do without 3.5" drives) would be nice, so you don't run into the possible issue of having liquid as carry-on with a water cooler. The C14 fits nicely on ASUS boards.. the Z97 ROG and Deluxe should be out in a couple months for $200 to $250, but that CPU will also work on the existing Z87 ASUS boards. The integrated graphics on the 4790k should be fine for anything other than gaming. Also, go with either 450W or the upcoming 600W SFX power supply, which should be lighter than any ATX options. Get their PP05-E slim cables if you're getting the 450W (should be included with the 600W).

It seems like the slot-load optical drives are being phased out, so I wouldn't wait too long to order one. The Panasonic UJ-265 Bluray and UJ-8C5 DVD are good choices, and not having to deal with an external drive in your travels is a plus.

Also, maybe save $100 of your budget and order the M1 carrying case (they're custom-made, so I'd order soon since there will be a wait). Get the reservoir version, if you plan on leaving any external antenna attached to your mobo..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800249

<$250 NCASE M1
..$340 4790k
<$300 ASUS board w/C14 cooler
..$410 1TB SSD
<$130 ODD (or ~$50 for DVD)
..$130 SFX w/cable kit
<$200 16GB RAM (get low-profile)
~$100 M1 carrying case
_____

$1860

Just stuff that I'd consider.. get whatever makes you happy! ;)

EDIT: For low-profile RAM, just get the Ballistix Sport very low-profile. Other companies' low-profile RAM is close to standard height.

Last edited:
Including tax and shipping, my budget is about $2000K, but it&#8217;s flexible. The most important factor in component selection is performance. Cost is secondary.

When I first read this I read that as 2000 * 1000 or 2 million dollars! (as K = 1000)...and I was like :eek:

Potentially instead of 1TB SSD get 2x 512GB SSD and put them into a Raid 0 for even more speed! I feel SSDs are reliable enough to have them in raid...and you may be able to make use of the extra speed, depending on your workload...and how much storage you need...

There was an issue a few years ago that you'd lose trim with raid 0...but I believe since the intel 7x chipsets (or ivy bridge chipsets) you can enable trim with raid 0...but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And IMO the M1 is too big for your needs since you don't game...it was designed to allow for full length graphics cards and watercooling....if you don't need or want any of those...then you should look smaller...but since I assume from your post you already have an M1...I'd stick with it.

2 million dollars? A wishful typo :)

Thanks, everyone for the recommendations and tips. I ordered the 1TB drive and the M1 carry bag. I'll be ordering the other components over the next few weeks. I considered canceling my M1 order, but I ended up just sticking with it. I can downsize in a year or 2 if it ends up being too unwieldy.

Have you considered a NUC format PC - something like a Brix or a Nano?

A friend of mine has suggested NUC to me. My concern was with trying to balance speed/power with size/portability. I don't need something that fits in my pocket, lol. I want to get as high a level of performance as possible that I could carry on a plane. I also liked the idea of being able to upgrade individual components, like CPU, memory, motherboard, etc.

You can get an i5 in a NUC

That's actually a 15W i5 with less than half the power of a desktop i5. It's only a dual core. This shows how good Intel is at confusing people with i7>i5>i3. Bahaha, his desktop only has an i3! my ultrabook has an i7!

So, how about this as a Lone L1 setup? I think I'm going to switch away from the M1 after all, based on some feedback/discussions/soul searching. It comes to about $1200 altogether.

Lone L1 Case
Intel Core i7-4790S
Gigabyte GA-H97N Motherboard
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1 TB SSD
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB RAM

I'd get a normal Core i7 and not bother with the lower voltage part. The reason is that during times you are NOT at full load, you'll probably be using the same amount of power and creating the same amount of heat. The difference comes from it being capped at the high end. With the normal wattage CPUs, you'll have better performance so your full load tasks will be completed quicker. SPCR did some tesing and found the real world average power usage difference to be minimal. Something in the order of 5W or so, IIRC.

The low wattage chips ARE useful in certain situations where you have a hard cap on power or cooling.

So, how about this as a Lone L1 setup? I think I'm going to switch away from the M1 after all, based on some feedback/discussions/soul searching. It comes to about $1200 altogether.

Lone L1 Case
Intel Core i7-4790S
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1 TB SSD
Sounds good to me. You can also throw in a decent low-profile sound card like the Xonar D1 if you need to.

I'd get a normal Core i7 and not bother with the lower voltage part. The reason is that during times you are NOT at full load, you'll probably be using the same amount of power and creating the same amount of heat. The difference comes from it being capped at the high end. With the normal wattage CPUs, you'll have better performance so your full load tasks will be completed quicker. SPCR did some tesing and found the real world average power usage difference to be minimal. Something in the order of 5W or so, IIRC.

The low wattage chips ARE useful in certain situations where you have a hard cap on power or cooling.

This +1. Only under rather rare and extreme circumstances are the S and T series CPUs actually worth buying.

(16) No BUYING, TRADING, or SELLING anywhere with the exception of the For Sale / Trade forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lone L1 Case
Intel Core i7-4790S
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1 TB SSD

Looks very nice. I think a case of this size fits your needs way better than the M1, which is basically something you only need if you need a large PSU, graphics card and watercooling. You're not interested in either of those things, so I'd say the L1 is perfect for you.

You also have to consider which PSU and power brick to get, as far as I know the L1 is built for the pico PSU 160XT. There's lots of more info to get in the L1/L2 threads.

Back