Help building a silent £600 gaming computer!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly I will be gaming, maybe some light photoshoping, but that's not a necessity. I would like to play games MOSTLY like World of Warcraft, league of legends, starcraft, dota 2, counter strike GO. However if it's possible I'd LOVE to play games like bioshock, battlefield, Fallout (especially when the new one comes out)!
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
£600-£650, including shipping and tax.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
I live in the UK, London.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a motherboard, video card, CPU, RAM, hard drive and a power supply.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I won't be reusing any parts, this computer will be made from scratch, giving away my laptop.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes!
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
19 inches.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
If I'm honest I'm not really too sure what this means, I'm really sorry. I guess there aren't any specific features?
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I don't have a legit copy, but i know how to use the internet so i can get my hand on a copy.
Other?
HOWEVER there is a really important feature that this computer must have, IT NEEDS TO BE QUIET, I've heard gaming computers make alot of noise when strained, so i know this may cut its performance, but it must be quiet due to sleeping arrangements.

Thank you! :D

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I don't have a legit copy, but i know how to use the internet so i can get my hand on a copy.
If you mean you know how to pirate it then that probably won't go over well here. Perhaps you mean you know where you can purchase one cheaply (as a student, etc.) and therefore the cost does not need to be included in your budget?

I'm sorry but that after everything you've wrote, it doesn't sound like you're actually serious about getting a legal OS key. Not to mention that some companies don't like their employees using their OS keys for their home PCs.

So are you going to be increasing your budget to account for the OS or are we taking that out of the £650 budget?

What's it to you? He can Linux for free until he can afford Win7 license later.

What's it to you? He can Linux for free until he can afford Win7 license later.

Because the likelihood of anyone using Linux until they can get a Windows 7 license later on when they're building a GAMING PC is rather low. And it matters to me as a moderator since we have Forum Rules that prohibit the discussion or promotion of piracy.

Sorry, didn't realize you are a mod. It doesn't say mod by your username.

At the risk of sounding silly (yes, I know... :D) would not a lot of the noise issues be solved by using headphones?

For a really quiet PC, check out the rig in my sig. Alas, this will exceed your budget handily unless you can find second-hand equipment. If you can find a second-hand Silverstone FT02 or FT03 at a good price, then jump on it. Otherwise get a decent normal case with good top ventilation.

The key is the Nofan CPU cooler from QuietPC. Yes, it's £95; yes, it's worth it. It will cope with modest overclocking. For a GPU a Geforce 660 Twin Frozr for £145 from Ebuyer will be more than adequate for your limited resolution. Add in a 1 TB HD for ~£50; a Windows license for £80-£100, a quiet PSU from QuietPC for ~£50 (depending upon your requirements), and get the rest in a bundle from Ebuyer or Novatech.

Back