• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help building a PC... PSU & Mobo

motolube

Gawd
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
1,002
I have a Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU and I want to connect it to an EVGA 780 SLI FTW Mobo with a Q9650 CPU. This is my old Gaming Rig that I want to give to my daughter for daily use, homework, browsing, emails, etc, etc

I have hit a snag because the mobo requires an 8pin 12v plug + the std 24pin plug and the PSU only has 1 6pin and 1 4pin plug. It will ave a regular MSI 9600GT video card so I don't need the 6 pin plug and I was wondering if I would be able to utilize a 4pin to 8pin molex or a 6pin to 8pin molex and be done with it.

I really hate to spend money on a newer PSU since there won't be much power consumption with this PC and I doubt that watching a youtube video can put the CPU at 100%.

What say you?

Edit:... sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum but I didn't really know where it belong.

Edit 2:... if you see my system specs, I am only using part of my old rig since I am going to be using the 750w PSU and Asus GPU for my new rig... everything else stays with my daughter's new rig.
 
Quite a few motherboards that had the 8Pin EPS12V (it's not molex) connector could actually run just fine with just the 4Pin CPU connector. Not sure the eVGA is one of those mobos.

However, I still recommend getting a new PSU nonetheless considering how shitty the TR2 series were. Especially if it's already been in use. A replacement PSU is only $40:
$40 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Danni, this is a brand new PSU never used... bought for another build but never made it happen.

Well, I will try with the 4pin plug and see what happens... worse case, I buy the PSU you have suggested.
 
OK, I have ran into some problems here and I really need help. The case I am using is not a small case but it appears that the PSU is somehow touching with the CPU cooler and perhaps causing a short because the mobo does not want to start even if the led on the mobo lights up... that or something else is causing a short and it just won't start.

What can I check or where do I start checking? A friend told me to jump the pins on the mobo but I am afraid to do that for fear of a fire due to the psu metalic fan cover touching with the CM V8 CPU cooler.
 
Back
Top