Help Booting XP Without Mouse

Alaska Wolf

Weaksauce
I am working on a PC in Arizona from my home in Alaska. MSCONFIG had been changed adding the /BOOT with Networking option. I can get the fellow to hit F8 and get to the Advanced Options Menu, but any option I've had him select ends with his stuck on a Select User Name Showing Admin and his account. The rub is he cannot select either Admin or his user name. The arrow keys don't work nor does tab.

He's got a Logitech Wireless combo.

Been a LONG time since I had to do this and it's complicated by the fact you have wonder-boy in Alaska who's trying to help an 85 year old man 2500 miles away in Arizona.

I have been using RADMIN to maintain his computer but until I can get it booted I obviously can't access it.

Any help will be very much appreciated!!

Thank you for the reply! He says the Tab key does nothing. He keeps describing a small hand but neither the arrow keys nor the tab key will move it. The arrow keys work fine navigating the Advanced Menu Options window, he ca n select safe mode, start normal etc, but no mater which option chosen there he ends up with the select a username and no way to do so.

If I could go to his house I'd just bring along a basic wired mouse but trying to do it over the telephone is not getting the job done.

If its an XP Pro machine just Ctrl + Alt + Del twice. That will bring up the old style interface and he can enter his password, or tab to ok.

P.S. If 'tab' isnt working at that point, Alt + Tab will activate the login window, and then tab will get him to 'ok'

(I run without a mouse all the time)

Back