• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help an audio noob out.

missing theory

Weaksauce
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
117
Hello [H],

You've all been quite helpful before and I'm looking for some more advice. :)

Currently, being the noob that I am, I'm running two Sony speakers which I'm content with through a Yamaha R-V901 which is pushing the sound from my PC which uses a SB Live! 24-bit card. When I want to crank up the sound a bit, I can tell something is lacking.

It could've been last year or late 2008 when I was looking at receivers in a magazine and took a picture of a Pioneer VSX-918V incase I was interested in picking something up that was considered best value according to the magazine I was reading the at the time. It's been awhile and know that the prices have dropped a little and would pick one up if you all suggested it was actually worth its value.

Also, should I look at another sound card if I plan on updating my receiver?

Thank you!
 
You should not be lacking volume with pretty much any receiver that close. If you're lacking "oomph" then it's the speakers. Distortion would probably be speakers at that range, though receivers do "distort out."
 
Okay cool. Well my current speakers are Sony SS-U311. According to my receiver, what speakers can you recommend me to take a look at with a ~$500 spending amount?
 
If your main goal is to crank up the volume, I recommend you look up "Cerwin Vega" on Amazon and find something that fits your bill.
 
Back
Top