• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

help a noob OC

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
6,781
so i moved my fsb up to 400 to get my cpu to 3.6 with a 1.25v, stable. How do i go past this, seems like I'll have to tweak the memory. How do I do that? I'm also havign issues burning memtest
 
Another good guide:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

But to save a bit of time, up the CPU Host Frequency 5 to 10Mhz at a time, test with Prime95, OCCT, or Orthos for an hour or two, reboot and repeat. Make sure that the System Memory Multiplier is set to 2. Once you start getting errors or random problems, up the voltage a little bit. Remember that the max voltage for the E8400 is 1.4V. So you still have a bit of wiggle room.
 
so i dont have to plaay with the memory per say, just the things you stated?
 
never mind i see now, thank! So whats safe idle/load temps for e8400 and how can i monitor memory temps?
 
never mind i see now, thank! So whats safe idle/load temps for e8400 and how can i monitor memory temps?

RAM does not have temperature guages. So you have to use ol' finger trick: If it burns, too hot.

The max load temps for the E8400 is 60C IIRC.

Some more advice:
- Set the RAM voltage to 1.9V to make sure that the RAM is stable since you are now overclocking it.
- Stick a small fan on the northbridge heatsink to make sure that the MCH can handle the RAM and increased FSB.
- Since you're overclocking with 4 sticks of RAM, don't be surprised if your OC won't go any higher than 3.6Ghz. Overclocking with 4 sticks of RAM is pretty stressful on the MCH/northbridge
 
I took out 2 sticks of RAM so only doing 2x2. So far I'm at 3.78 @ 420 fsb.
Where can i pick up a NB fan, think microcenter will have one ?
 
Any kind of small fan around 40mm to 50mm should work. MC should have fans of those size. Figure out how a way to mount the fan though on the NB.

Nice OC BTW.
 
Bumped it to 430 at 3.87, runnign orthos now.

Which one is the NB hs? the one right by the CPu or the one away from it :p
 
Hmm... Then does that mean if I plan to OC a Q6600/6700 to about 400Mhz, then I shouldn't have 8G of RAM?
 
i was told it wouldnt work so well, so i took out 2 sticks, figure ill toss them in a another system soon.
 
Hmm... Then does that mean if I plan to OC a Q6600/6700 to about 400Mhz, then I shouldn't have 8G of RAM?

A 400MHz FSB OC is very doable with 4 sticks of RAM. It's only when you go higher than a 400Mhz FSB that 4 sticks of RAM may pose a problem.
 
Back
Top