Heavy Rain : new video

i love quick time event... but i hope there is more to this game!

This game has really started to interest me. They are supposed to give a release date at E3

i love quick time event... but i hope there is more to this game!

From the way I understand it is different from standard QTE. You still control the character but are given options to execute...sounds weird but there is a video of them discussing it...unless they discussed it in this one, I can't see it.

What I hated about the old QTE in Fahrenheit was that it took your attention away from what was actually happening. In this it looks like you can still pay attention to the scene and do the QTE.

I'm not a fan of quicktime events because in the past they were simply Pass/Fail. In this game it seems that even if you miss a quicktime event you have a chance to make up for it later, like this video shows. He still gets to fight on with the badguy after missing one press.

I'm not a fan of quicktime events because in the past they were simply Pass/Fail. In this game it seems that even if you miss a quicktime event you have a chance to make up for it later, like this video shows. He still gets to fight on with the badguy after missing one press.

Was gonna say the same thing

Game has fallen of my radar, and others. The quality of everything (graphics, physics and animations) have dropped from the original trailer substantially. And talk about QTE overkill.

And I have seen better acting on Saved By The Bell. WTF were they thinking?

from watching the footage it seems to me like you are playing a prettier version of Dragon Lance. Hit the buttons the only way to win and they tell you what they are on the screen. I think this has been downgraded to a rental for me now.

I hope there is a demo for this game. I think it looks awesome, but looks can be deceiving. It could just as easily be a complete dud. I would definitely give the demo a go and probably rent it if a demo is not released. The game is now back on my radar though.

Game has fallen of my radar, and others. The quality of everything (graphics, physics and animations) have dropped from the original trailer substantially. And talk about QTE overkill.

And I have seen better acting on Saved By The Bell. WTF were they thinking?
OK, the acting is not the best, but considering the entire game is voice acting and likely motion captured, it probably has the most in any game ever made: Quality vs Quantity's fine line. Secondly, graphically, the game still looks incredible. What video where you watching? /sarcasm off Those characters look real and they move like real people. And lastly, sure there are a lot of quick time events but in other games your constantly pressing buttons, this is going to be a nice change of pace.

Well this type of game isn't going to appeal to the masses anyway. Its an adventure game not a 3D shooter so its not going to sell like COD or anything. Not everyone has the patients for adventure games. You really have to like the story and characters because often the game will have many flaws in the combat or action sequences. These games are more like interactive movies.

This game looks as exciting as alan wake to me...which is to say not at all. A game made of bad dialogue and QTE's? It's like someone decided to make a frankenstein of my biggest game pet peeves.

Does not impress me at all.

This game looks as exciting as alan wake to me...which is to say not at all. A game made of bad dialogue and QTE's? It's like someone decided to make a frankenstein of my biggest game pet peeves.

Does not impress me at all.

This.

I was looking forward to it, but this gameplay video looked VERY bland imo.

I was excited for this game until this video. That looked painfully boring.

and I LOOVED Fahrenheit

Do Quick Time Events make ramping the graphics up in games easier?

From what I'm familiar with, QTEs lock the camera and possible animations. Considering that, I wonder where the line between in-game video gameplay and button-mashing cutscenes exist.

QTEs usually confine the player's actions, which is a different ballgame than games that allow freedom for the player. And to compare graphics from a game like that to one with different rulesets seems to be a bit unfair.

Basically, I wonder in relation to the rendering and game engine, how are QTEs different from cutscenes? How are QTEs different than sandbox games (like GTA or anything that allows freedom)?

From what I'm familiar with, QTEs lock the camera and possible animations. Considering that, I wonder where the line between in-game video gameplay and button-mashing cutscenes exist.

QTEs usually confine the player's actions, which is a different ballgame than games that allow freedom for the player. And to compare graphics from a game like that to one with different rulesets seems to be a bit unfair.

Basically, I wonder in relation to the rendering and game engine, how are QTEs different from cutscenes? How are QTEs different than sandbox games (like GTA or anything that allows freedom)?

That's why I hate them. The dev just takes what is otherwise a cut scene, and makes you press irrelevant buttons just to give you the illusion that you have any input on what is happening in the game. Ohh, I pressed, A, B, then X. I'm so immersed in this game...

it may take stress off the proc because there would be no ai or interactive physics, but killzone 2 is amazing in detail, physics, and ai, i would put right up there with it graphics wise, judging by the vids anyways.

looks interesting, i was following this game since it showed up on the physx website, but then i thought it was just a tech demo.

i hope they do it right.

OK, the acting is not the best, but considering the entire game is voice acting and likely motion captured, it probably has the most in any game ever made: Quality vs Quantity's fine line. Secondly, graphically, the game still looks incredible. What video where you watching? /sarcasm off Those characters look real and they move like real people. And lastly, sure there are a lot of quick time events but in other games your constantly pressing buttons, this is going to be a nice change of pace.

Looks incredible? Not from the vid and gameplay I watched. Not to mention, they have the typical robot fingers. This isn't what we expected.

Not impressed personally.

The out of game renders look good, sure. However from watching this video I'm not impressed at all.

The first thing that came to mind was Max Payne or one of the many Matrix games, model wise even (seriously, no joke here). The models look nothing like they do in the out of game renders. And as someone else mentioned "robot hands", almost looks like they didn't even bother to make it look like their hands are actually holding items, they're just kinda clamped shut.

Not much to say about the acting, it's quite bad.

I am not impressed by the graphics anymore. The game looked amazing when they first demo'd it a few years back, but looking at it now I can't help but think of how bland it looks. Whoever pointed out the robot fingers was right on. The animations are smooth though.

The gameplay though, holy shit that looks boring. It's like we're going back to those old arcade games where you'd have to hit the button at just the right time or hit the joy stick in just the right direction. Ugh, those things are 15 years old, and I don't want to go back to that.

Oh and the blood splotch that appears on the ground at about 2:42 into the video is terrible. "Oh no, my shirt is stuck in a cat track!!" Blood suddenly appears in the mud.

so why not ask the same question over on teh xbxo 360 forums?

...what? I should ask on the xbox 360 forums (which ones??) why Zamardi is glad that Heavy Rain is PS3 exclusive?

You're being twice as incoherent as you usually are, and that's impressive.

There has to be a reason to own one console over the other, is what I think. If you like all games then by all consoles.

If all systems had the same games, there would be nothing that would stand out, and would be pretty redundant. We'd most likely get even higher price gouging than it already is for games.

...what? I should ask on the xbox 360 forums (which ones??) why Zamardi is glad that Heavy Rain is PS3 exclusive?

You're being twice as incoherent as you usually are, and that's impressive.

No, why do xbox 360 fans are glad that gears of war, halo etc etc are glad its a 360 exclusive.

No, why do xbox 360 fans are glad that gears of war, halo etc etc are glad its a 360 exclusive.

If you can point me to where anyone said that in this thread, or where I've ever said anything like this on this forum, you might have a point. As usual though, you don't.

Back