heatsink/fan for SG02F

paperwastage

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a new build here, already bought the parts below, wondering what to do about CPU cooling

CPU: i5 2500k
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
CASE: Silverstone SG02-F
PSU: Corsair 430v2
RAM: don't remember, should check (at least the height of the heatsink fins if any)
HDD: some 2.5" SSD

NOT using any DVD(so the 2x Drive bays are unused/clear)
NOT using any GPU for now (relying on IGP)

Problems:
a) PSU has long cables i know... hoping to route it around the drive bays or other free space
b) PSU intake is just above the CPU cooler/fan. Need something better than that (eg the silverstone crossfan that attaches just above the IO panel, or some other mod below

Taking inspiration from this SG02 PSU mod and SG02 H50 mod

Solutions (in order of preference):
1) Use a low profile heatsink with fans blowing towards the back, minimize heat going into the PSU. No hardware mod necessary
2) Do the PSU mod. Move the PSU into the drive bay(remove the drive bays). Drill hole on top of case for PSU fan intake. Cut/Drill hole on-top of the expansion cards for the PSU power cable to go out. Use a tower heatsink, put a 120mm fan where the psu screw holes used to be. optionally a 120mm fan onthe top of the case over the CPU
3) Use a watercooler like the H50 mod above (put radiator/fan in drive bay). (not a big fan of watercooling though).drill hole on top of case for radiator fan intake, or just use a drive bay fan (no hardware mod necessary)

What would you suggest for a heatsink in (1)?

I haven't done any case mods before. The case is SECC (steel). What kind of tools do I need to cut holes for 120 mm fans/PSU fan intake?

Last edited:
Back