Modded SG02

Ryun

Limp Gawd
Sandy Bridge Update

(Updated 4/29/2012)

I've updated to Sandy Bridge! You can see the original mod below the green line.

I'm bringing over most of the old parts, save for the motherboard and processor. It's now equipped with an Asus Gene Z IV PCI-E 3 and a 2600K. :D I also added a beefier cooler (Noctua NH-CP12).

I got the SG02 aluminum case at performance pcs: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23388

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

After many, many hours of work I've finally completed the mod I've done to my silverstone SG02 (Aluminum). This is my first mod (well, second if I count the initial failure I had) and I think it turned out great.

I managed to fit a 140mm fan, ATX PSU, and the ability to put in a tower cooler.

Anyway, I don't have any pictures at the moment (The last thing I want to do right now is open it up again. :D); I'm just so glad it's put together that I wanted to tell as many people as possible.

If you have any interest in pictures let me know.

EDIT:

Here are some pictures:

Last edited:
pix plox

translated to

lets have some pics of your handy work

No pictures please, we have no interest, but thank you for asking. Usually people just post pictures without even asking, how rude!

Alright, so I guess it was a little silly to ask if you wanted pictures, haha. Hard drives are cooled by a 80x15mm fan (I have it on low as it's too loud on high, so I may need to get a new fan or buy a controller), 140mm in the back as intake, and a 80mm fan outtake on top.

My E6600 @ 3.0Ghz is cooled by a Samuel 17 (I could fit my Mugen 2 in there, but I'm lazy and I know I'd have to fight with the wiring some more), and my SSD is velcro-ed to the top of the DVD drive. I wanted to put it under the PSU, but I thought this would be easier. Especially since it will eventually go where the 2TB HDD is when I get my NAS.

Anyway, here you go (sorry for the quality as I just took them in a rush):

Oh, I should mention too that the RAM modules I have totally fit underneath my PSU. So if I ever get a longer board, I'm covered. I just can't buy any of those crazy, tall heatsinks memory manufacturers use to add $20 to the MSRP --- err, differentiate their products. :D

Damn, I might have jumped the gun on this mod having (overall) better CPU heatsink support. Right now, I can fit much taller heatsinks but my motherboard has the CPU socket pretty close to the IO cluster.

However, I've noticed that CPU sockets on newer boards are farther away.

Would anyone be able to measure the distance from their IO cluster to the CPU socket for me on, say a microATX Z68/P67/H67? Rough estimates are fine :).

I can probably move the power supply back a bit more, but not by much.

I know this is kind of a necro, but it's also kind of relevant... anyhoo...

I'm in the process of making my original mod compatible with my new Z68 mobo and 2600K. It mainly involves moving the power supply forward, but I'll have more pictures up (with a beeifer CPU heatsink included :D) when I'm done in case anyone else would like to recreate what I've done.

So I finally got around to putting up pictures of the completed build. I had some rough patches here and there getting it all together, but nothing a little ingenuity couldn't fix.

Back