Heatkiller LGA 1700 Heavy Backplate Question

kurdt

n00b
Hey, a quick question for anyone that's using the Heatkiller LGA 1700 'Heavy' Backplate. Did you use any nylon/plastic isolating washers when installing it? The manual for the backplate seems to imply you don't need isolating washers and doesn't mention their use (outside of the 'washer mod') for either the stud holes or the water block studs themselves. While I understand the 'contact frame' portion of the backplate has a protective insulating film, the 4 post holes do not; yet the manual doesn't mention using washers and none are included with the backplate. I've never encountered a backplate that doesn't employ insulating washers, but using them on the back side of the mobo would change the clamping pressure. I'd just like some confirmation they didn't make a mistake in the manual.

For clarity, these are the washers I mean:

Heavy.Backplate.jpg

I can't remember what I did when I installed mine 4 years ago.

I have the Threadripper version of this block, so it might have been different

I will say, that I would be concerned about anything conductive in that area as well.

I will say, that I would be concerned about anything conductive in that area as well.

Actually, I forgot my case opens easily to view the back of the socket.

Looks like the Threadripper version of the block uses the built in AMD socket backplate.

PXL_20230706_234305959.jpg

Sorry, I have no additional info.

Yeah, for the standard backplate, the Heatkiller IV manual shows using plastic washers as you'd expect. However, the 'heavy' version has its own specific manual, and it clearly shows not using washers. All my prior experience says to use isolating washers, but I don't want to put too much clamping pressure if the manual is actually correct.

This is all that the 'heavy' backplate manual shows; no mention of isolating washers.

Heavy.Backplate-01.jpg

I ended up going ahead, using no washers between the backplate and mobo with plastic washers on top for the studs.

However, for anyone curious, it appears the manual was correct and isolation washers aren't required. Watercool got back to me just a minute ago, and their suggestion was exactly the same arrangement.

Dear Customer,

start with the installation of the heavy backplate ( https://shop.watercool.de/mediafiles/Manuals/MA_HEATKILLER_LGA1700_HEAVY_BACKPLATE.pdf )

the washers included are just for the washermod of the intel socket ( ILM ). ( i would do it )

after the installation of the backplate, proceed with the normal installation of the block. ( ignore the parts on the backside of the mainboard, just focus on the front of mainboard )

on the front side the washers are there to protect your mainboard from scratches when you tighten the studs. please dont forget these :)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Dominik Gerth / Entwicklung - Development
[email protected] / +49 3991 63124 - 15

Back