Hearthstone

Ahh okay, they need to get on that!

They also need to hurry up with their windows phone support, but i suspect that's at the very bottom of their priorities :*(

Hopefully we're at least above BB

You don't need a 6" device. I'm running an unofficial version some dude modified that's making the rounds on the internetz. It works fine on my GS3 and has been for the last few weeks. Use at your own risk obviously, but so far I haven't had any problems. It's laggy sometimes like I mentioned before, but it's 100% playable.

Just google "hearthstone phone apk reddit" and you'll find what you're looking for.

You don't need a 6" device. I'm running an unofficial version some dude modified that's making the rounds on the internetz. It works fine on my GS3 and has been for the last few weeks. Use at your own risk obviously, but so far I haven't had any problems. It's laggy sometimes like I mentioned before, but it's 100% playable.

Just google "hearthstone phone apk reddit" and you'll find what you're looking for.

You do need a 6" device to officially download it and have it show up in the app store. I was just explaining why it wasn't appearing, obviously people can hack APK's to work on unsupported devices and have done that for many games not just Hearthstone.

Personally I would have loved to see them modify the interface a bit to make it work better on mobile devices. Some sort of cover flow like interface for scrolling through your cards when making a deck would be cool.

Pretty silly they are doing a closed beta and not going to wipe everything before the game launches. People that spent money should get their money back (in the form of gold), other than that this is just going to create a pretty big divide on launch between people who have been farming for better cards and people just starting out.

You called it. As a new player starting out with about 40 hours in, I am getting my ass handed to me. Between the lopsided & uneven matchmaking, the RNG hating your guts, and the comparatively OP decks you face, the message is loud and clear. Either come with Trump level skills, grind for a couple thousand hours to be able to build a decent deck with which you won't get immediately slaughtered after turn 6 or 7, or PAY THE FUCK UP to stop the thumping. Very off-putting in conjunction with the rampant bad sportsmanship I have witnessed.

Last edited:
You called it. As a new player starting out with about 40 hours in, I am getting my ass handed to me. Between the lopsided & uneven matchmaking, the RNG hating your guts, and the comparatively OP decks you face, the message is loud and clear. Either come with Trump level skills, grind for a couple thousand hours to be able to build a decent deck with which you won't get immediately slaughtered after turn 6 or 7, or PAY THE FUCK UP to stop the thumping. Very off-putting in conjunction with the rampant bad sportsmanship I have witnessed.

As a new player you should be building a lot of cheap aggro decks to get your daily quests done. You can make make aggro hunter, mage, warlock, paladin pretty easy with mostly basic cards. Then play arena if you want an even playing field.

As a new player you should be building a lot of cheap aggro decks to get your daily quests done. You can make make aggro hunter, mage, warlock, paladin pretty easy with mostly basic cards. Then play arena if you want an even playing field.

Not quite sure how to go about building such decks, I will look into it. Thanks.

Go on Hearthpwn and use free decks. People have gotten to legendary rank using all free cards.

I'll be honest....every deck I've built myself is average to terrible. LOL!

I still try making a unique deck here and there, but there are just so many tried and true builds out there to use it never gets old.

you know you can 'squelch' those emotes right?

first thing i do in a game

I just launch rocks at them with the catapult or shoot them with the laser ... or cry if I have one of the boards that doesn't let me do it lol. Also I have rarely been in a game when my opponent does a single emote besides Greetings at the beginning and Well Played at the end.

yea I haven't really run into anything of note in the bad sportsmanship dept. only had to squelch a handful of morons. Pretty glad there isn't chat tbh, I don't need to hear ppl bitch just cause they're sore losers

I've played well over 1000 games of HS and it is pretty rare that anyone spams emotes. Are you playing a Murloc deck or something? That is just asking for it :p

emote spammer = squelch and me letting my turn to take the max time to expire if I'm going to lose while I do something else on the computer

emote spammer = squelch and me letting my turn to take the max time to expire if I'm going to lose while I do something else on the computer

Ha, I do this as well. I usually play on a tablet while watching shows on TV. If they are doing emotes I just rope out on the next few turns while I am watching TV.

I've played well over 1000 games of HS and it is pretty rare that anyone spams emotes. Are you playing a Murloc deck or something? That is just asking for it :p

No, I was just playing a basic mage or paladin/druid deck that you earn off F2P. Still, obnoxious when you already know you're most likely to lose at the end of the game due to stacked matchmaking against OP decks

No, I was just playing a basic mage or paladin/druid deck that you earn off F2P. Still, obnoxious when you already know you're most likely to lose at the end of the game due to stacked matchmaking against OP decks

Time
Money
Elite 5killZ

Pick one of the three if you want to advance. I haven't spent more than a few $ for Naxx, however I have a bunch of Legendary cards, and enough Rare/Epics cards to make a lot of the meta decks just from doing the daily quests and Arena for packs and gold. Just by doing the dailies, you can earn almost 20 packs a month. Get all classes to level 10 and look around for free deck guides. Spending money on Naxx would help a lot as well, and the content is pretty fun.

If it's a close game but I know I'll be winning next turn, I usually do 2-3 Well Played emotes, but not because I'm rubbing it in. I'm doing it because it was honestly a good game. That seems to be the only way to get the point across since there is no chat. I don't find that annoying either. I have yet to come across someone who is retarded with it.

If it's a close game but I know I'll be winning next turn, I usually do 2-3 Well Played emotes, but not because I'm rubbing it in. I'm doing it because it was honestly a good game.

No matter how well you think the game went, the opponent sees it as you rubbing it in. Especially if you do it three times. And even more bad manners if you do it a full turn before you win.

I really wish there was either a chat or a few more emotes. I totally get why they didnt implement a chat system though.

No matter how well you think the game went, the opponent sees it as you rubbing it in. Especially if you do it three times. And even more bad manners if you do it a full turn before you win.

Yea I would interpret 3 Well Played on my turn as someone rubbing it in. Do it once on your turn right before you play your cards to win. Anything more is excessive and being a dick, if a bit of a passive aggressive dick.

Looks like time and money it is, since I'm not that great. Sucks though that I'm at such a disadvantage for being a late starter. Story of my life, I suppose :rolleyes:

Time
Money
Elite 5killZ

Pick one of the three if you want to advance. I haven't spent more than a few $ for Naxx, however I have a bunch of Legendary cards, and enough Rare/Epics cards to make a lot of the meta decks just from doing the daily quests and Arena for packs and gold. Just by doing the dailies, you can earn almost 20 packs a month. Get all classes to level 10 and look around for free deck guides. Spending money on Naxx would help a lot as well, and the content is pretty fun.

I really wish there was either a chat or a few more emotes. I totally get why they didnt implement a chat system though.

I'd guess it's so they don't have to police it and deal with all the associated drama. That is a metric shitload of man hours saved by not having it.

Yea I would interpret 3 Well Played on my turn as someone rubbing it in. Do it once on your turn right before you play your cards to win. Anything more is excessive and being a dick, if a bit of a passive aggressive dick.

I use it on my turn before I played if they did a good job, or at the end if it was a good game.

Is this game worth getting into??

I was wayyy into Magic: The Gathering way back in 95-95 (sold all my cards back in '99)

Is it p2p or really f2p etc?

Last edited:
It isn't that hard to do free to play. Just do the daily quests etc. If you have like $20 to throw out there to start it would help quite a bit. That being said, I haven't put much money at all into this game, but have managed to get a lot of legendaries. The trick is really in building a deck that synergizes... doesn't matter if it is rare cards or free cards. If you get good combos, you win.

If it's a close game but I know I'll be winning next turn, I usually do 2-3 Well Played emotes, but not because I'm rubbing it in. I'm doing it because it was honestly a good game. That seems to be the only way to get the point across since there is no chat. I don't find that annoying either. I have yet to come across someone who is retarded with it.

yeah, you'd get squelched. I never emote well played to anyone right before I finish them off. That's just being a passive aggressive dick.

I use it when someone pulls something off I wasn't expecting or a great combo and after the game ends.

yeah, you'd get squelched. I never emote well played to anyone right before I finish them off. That's just being a passive aggressive dick.

I use it when someone pulls something off I wasn't expecting or a great combo and after the game ends.

I like to emote "Sorry that happened." when someone says "Well played." before they put down the cards that are going to win them the game. That's when I'm playing as a warrior. I never respond at all to Face Hunters. They're the new Zoo... lowest of the low.

I like to emote "Sorry that happened." when someone says "Well played." before they put down the cards that are going to win them the game. That's when I'm playing as a warrior. I never respond at all to Face Hunters. They're the new Zoo... lowest of the low.

I really dislike playing against Face Hunters. Often they lock you down with secrets (Frozen Trap) and when you finally get past those you've taken so much damage it's almost impossible to stabilize. 2x Kill Command and it's over.

Zoo is less annoying but if they get a good hand with deathrattles it's usually over as well. It's frustrating at times if you can hold on initially against Zoo, but then get overwhelmed thanks to the Warlock's Hero power. Still not as bad as Hunter though.

Lately, my zoo decks have been getting shut down left and right. I've only made it to rank 16 so far this month. Exact same deck I hit 9 on last month.

By face hunter you mean like a spell hunter?

A face hunter is a rush deck that mostly just ignores everything you do and attacks your hero (hitting face) with tons of minions as fast as it can. It's a mindless way to play, similar to zoo warlock. I've made both types of decks to see what the attraction is and all I can figure out is that it's a cheap deck to make and simple to play. Sure is boring though. Very boring.

what's zoo mean? The terminology for this game that people have come up with is so fuckin weird lol

what's zoo mean? The terminology for this game that people have come up with is so fuckin weird lol

From what I've read Zoo is a term adopted from Magic the Gathering. It is/was a deck that played a lot of cheap/efficient creatures (mostly animals), combined with spells to finish off an opponent.

While it's more a variety of creatures in Hearthstone instead of animals, it can be seen in a similar way.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Modern_Zoo_deck

So, I just started playing Hearthstone yesterday. I have about 520 gold, and I'm trying to figure out if it's better for me to save the 700 to unlock the first section of Naxxramus or if I should just arena out.

I'm trying to play 100% free BTW, which of course means a stupid amount of grinding. I think I've done all the 'special' free packs and extra gold things already (gotten all the basic decks to 10, did the dailies, been playing vs other people, even played on an iPad for the pack). I seem to have roughly a 2/3 or maybe 3/5 win ratio, playing Priest. May move to something more mindless like Mage, but as a long time control MTG player I just liked the mechanics of Priest versus some sort of mindless aggro.

So far I'm generally enjoying the game, but of course it's kinda rough as both computer and real opponents have access to cards I clearly do not. I see new stuff almost every game and I generally memorize cards quickly. I recently saw an entire Mage "Mech" deck. I didn't even know there were Mechs, lol. I generally think MTG is a better game (I actually like the complicated mechanics, the stack, deck types that mostly include control), but it seems like the cost to play MTG online is too high.

Any/all suggestions welcome to speed up the grind process.

Last edited:
There are many more ways to get free/easy gold. Can't tell if you know about them based on your reply. Here they are:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-to-hearthstone-how-to-get-gold-fast-and-for-free

Scroll down towards the bottom of the article.

These are the ones you can get while playing through:
Unlock every hero – 100 gold
Win 100 games in any mode – 300 gold
Win 1,000 games in any mode – 300 gold
Defeat all expert A.I – 100 gold
Collect every card in the Basic Set - 100 gold
Collect every card in the Expert Set – 100 gold

I've done them all (except win 1000 games), including getting all the Expert cards, which is a time sink as well as defeating all the expert AI's. The stuff at the bottom is the daily quests that are randomly generated.

Have a comment on whether I should go for Naxxramus or Arena out? I'm leaning towards Arena...

Back