Hearthstone

Liking this game so far, though I haven't spent any money on it yet. I mainly tend to use a priest deck, how do they tend to fare in higher level play?

Priest is pretty much the worst class in upper-tier play. Sorry. :(

That could all change though after Adventure Mode releases this summer and the Nax dungeon cards coming with it.

Priest is pretty much the worst class in upper-tier play. Sorry. :(

That could all change though after Adventure Mode releases this summer and the Nax dungeon cards coming with it.

Ouch >.> Bad news. Guess I won't keep pursuing a good priest deck for the future. :p

I'll definitely keep an eye on it when the new stuff comes out though.

Looks pretty solid , I hope they give more balance to ALL classes, some feel broken . Like priests .... and the majority of the ladders are loaded with the same deck builds. Makes me think it isn't so much about being a good player...its more about having a great deck. I grinded down to Rank 6 .... then without the legendaries I simply couldn't make anymore headway.

Looks pretty solid , I hope they give more balance to ALL classes, some feel broken . Like priests .... and the majority of the ladders are loaded with the same deck builds. Makes me think it isn't so much about being a good player...its more about having a great deck. I grinded down to Rank 6 .... then without the legendaries I simply couldn't make anymore headway.

Some notable people have made it to Legend without spending any money or grinding the game. For others it is easier with access to more cards. That goes for pretty much any CCG game ever though, you need to cards to make the hot decks. People keep playing the game decks as the meta game changes and people find themselves losing to those decks.

I am actually pretty impressed with how the meta keeps shifting even with minimal changes from Blizzard. New cards from NAXX will change everything almost immediately.

Last edited:
Some notable people have made it to Legend without spending any money or grinding the game. For others it is easier with access to more cards. That goes for pretty much any CCG game ever though, you need to cards to make the hot decks. People keep playing the game decks as the meta game changes and people find themselves losing to those decks.

I am actually pretty impressed with how the meta keeps shifting even with minimal changes from Blizzard. New cards from NAXX will change everything almost immediately.

I agree. The meta even shifts without any changes people are shifting the meta back and forth. Though I think it is more dependent on the person than the cards they have about how far they make it. I just like building decks and playing them. Ladder really doesnt drive me.

How far have you gone through the first wing? I've done the first 3 bosses, did the druid class challenge, and best the first heroic boss. Man, these are some pretty tough bosses with some pretty powerful cards/class abilities.

I beat it all. Now I have to pay for the rest. Because I'm nowhere close to having the gold to pay for the other wings.

I tried the heroic mode after beating all bosses and doing the class challenges.

Eff that. 45 health, and can summon a 4/4 with only 2 crystals.

I tried the heroic mode after beating all bosses and doing the class challenges.

Pretty sure heroic bosses can also have more than 2 copies of a card in their deck. I think they can have 4

The first time I tried them I felt the same way. I took some time to build some simple decks around their mechanics and ended up going through them fairly quickly.

I ended up using a Priest deck built around Mogu'Shan Warden, Inner Fire and Divine Spirit for the first two bosses. Took 2 games for the first boss thanks to bad draws the first game. One game the second boss, that was incredibly close because the deck is kind of a slow the first few turns so I took a lot of damage from their special thanks to larger hand sizes until turn 5 when I was able to just about empty my hand.

Third boss I went with a Druid deck. The catch here is the AI will always use the special first regardless of what creatures you have on the board. So I was able to play Voodoo Doctor just about every hand, was returned to hand and kept getting life to draw out the game. I ended up having to use pretty much all my damage cards for CC instead of against the boss like I had originally hoped to do. Only other creatures in the deck were Elven Archer, Keeper of the Grove, and Druid of the Claw. Keep using the Keepers to kill creatures, silence them if needed, or deal damage to boss. Druids choose charge otherwise you risk they will never get to attack since you don't get to pick their ability again unlike Keeper each time they are played. The 2 cost Panda might be a good choice for late game since you could then use it to potentially cast either Keeper or Druid twice in a turn but I don't have 2 copies of that one. =\

Casual player, no money spent but I have been playing for a few months making sure to try to do my quests at least every few days. Spent most the gold on packs until recently saving up to get access to the rest of Naxx. I was lucky enough to get a foil legendary pretty early on that I didn't really want so that has allowed me to have a decent stockpile of crafting points to get those uncommon and rares I didn't have that I've needed for certain decks.

I started playing this over the weekend... pretty damn fun game! Lots of the cards seem OP though and it's pretty frustrating getting raped by legendary cards all the time.

Also, it seems Blizzard has made the grind in this game prohibitively slow... slower than any other free to play game i've played. It makes LoL seem balanced and quick at grinding the free in-game currency.

I started playing this over the weekend... pretty damn fun game! Lots of the cards seem OP though and it's pretty frustrating getting raped by legendary cards all the time.

Also, it seems Blizzard has made the grind in this game prohibitively slow... slower than any other free to play game i've played. It makes LoL seem balanced and quick at grinding the free in-game currency.

Unless you are against spending *any* money, it is a good idea to pickup the Naxx expansion and get the cards from it. There is some pretty fun content in there and people have found ways to beat all of the bosses with Basic Set cards.

I play HS mostly while watching TV and I was up to 2100 gold and 15 unopened packs of card when GvG launched. Didn't feel like much of a grind to me, once you get over the initial hump and start making decks you like to play with, the games feel faster to play.

Unless you are against spending *any* money, it is a good idea to pickup the Naxx expansion and get the cards from it. There is some pretty fun content in there and people have found ways to beat all of the bosses with Basic Set cards.

I play HS mostly while watching TV and I was up to 2100 gold and 15 unopened packs of card when GvG launched. Didn't feel like much of a grind to me, once you get over the initial hump and start making decks you like to play with, the games feel faster to play.

I don't mind spending money, but I wait until i know i'll be in the game for the long-haul. Haven't been playing it long enough to know yet.

Thanks though, I hope to feel the grind pick up soon.

I do have a weird issue with the game... and i can't seem to find anything online.

I've had to load it on my laptop and play on there because the game just doesn't seem to work right on my gaming rig. All other games work fine but this one...

If i launch it right after a reboot, it'll seem to work fine. Then it begins to turn into a slide-show. The sound is uninterrupted, but the graphics start slowing down to updating like once a second. Then slower and slower until it's just kinda frozen there. At this point if i close the game and relaunch, starting the game even slows to this same crawl. If i wait long enough it will come up but it's completely unplayable.

Anyone encounter weirdness like this?

I do have a weird issue with the game... and i can't seem to find anything online.

I've had to load it on my laptop and play on there because the game just doesn't seem to work right on my gaming rig. All other games work fine but this one...

If i launch it right after a reboot, it'll seem to work fine. Then it begins to turn into a slide-show. The sound is uninterrupted, but the graphics start slowing down to updating like once a second. Then slower and slower until it's just kinda frozen there. At this point if i close the game and relaunch, starting the game even slows to this same crawl. If i wait long enough it will come up but it's completely unplayable.

Anyone encounter weirdness like this?

It wont run on my rig in fullscreen mode, it runs window mode flawlessly

Thanks, i'll try that.

There's some easy achievements you can get that will give you gold and card packs. That's a good way to get started for free. I reached a point where I ended up spending money to get over that grindy hump. Losing tons of games just to get a few wins and cards isn't fun for long.

There's some easy achievements you can get that will give you gold and card packs. That's a good way to get started for free. I reached a point where I ended up spending money to get over that grindy hump. Losing tons of games just to get a few wins and cards isn't fun for long.

Yea that's the feeling the game left me. They really want you to pay to get past the initial hump. Not that I blame them, but still annoying.

I'll have to look into these achievements! Thanks for the tip.

The pay to win reminds me vaguely of the cases in CS GO, only in CS you don't get any real boost for paying. I guess it comes with the territory for a free to play game.

It wont run on my rig in fullscreen mode, it runs window mode flawlessly

This was it! Thanks for the tip, game runs just fine in windowed mode. Strange :confused:

The pay to win reminds me vaguely of the cases in CS GO, only in CS you don't get any real boost for paying. I guess it comes with the territory for a free to play game.

Some free to play games, anyway. League of Legends has never left me feeling like I'm underpowered because I haven't played long enough or haven't spent real money.

Hearthstone is a F2P CCG. Most players will need to spend money in order to compete up the ranks (or even casual) in a reasonable time. You will lose a lot if you just try and grind out gold and cards.

There are some really good players that can reach legend with a F2P account but then you miss out on quest and such focusing on ONE class.

Lastly, if you are good at Arena (which I am not) you can grind a little faster, but it is not much.

I too just started a few days ago. I have to second the extreme grindy aspect of it. I also don't like how trying to complete my quests I go into play mode and it is matchmaking little old me with 5 games played and a completely basic deck against people with multiple epics and rares and occasionally a legendary or two.

I started the same time as my brother and he got some golden legendary card (yesra or something) which apparently is really rare and hard to get, so yeah I am jealous.

Honestly,

Its a free to play game, doesn't necessarily mean free to enjoy.

All games need money to survive (especially multiplayer), if you don't feel like spending $5-$10 to enjoy a game, you should probably stick with checkers.

A lot of people are terrible at the game and have lots of Legendaries. So it is quite possible you get paired up against them as a new player if they have a bad win/loss ratio.

if you like playing Arena, you can switch between US, EU, and Asia for some initial Arena runs

I've been getting back into this and realized I had made some pretty big mistakes. I've got all but two heroes to level 10 and I spent all my gold on card packs. Not sure if that was a bad idea as I hear it costs a lot of gold to "unlock" Naxx wings.

I think once I get everyone level 10 I'll practice some deckbuilding and start doing the daily quests.

I want to like this game, because playing in on my Macbook Pro is a dream. Very trackpad and gesture friendly. But I just suck. Seems like I either spend to much time putting minions on the board, or I spend too much time attacking the enemy hero. Either way, I then get trounced. The few times I actually thought I was going to beat a real player, they throw down like 6 awesome cards in a row, and I lose.

My biggest trouble is deck building. I should probably just go look up popular builds, but that's lame.

There's really just too many sweet cards. I can't fit them all in my deck!

I have found that playing ranked gives me much more even matchups than the casual play. Casual play has a tendency to match me up against people with much more stacked decks than I could possibly hope to contend with.

I have found that playing ranked gives me much more even matchups than the casual play. Casual play has a tendency to match me up against people with much more stacked decks than I could possibly hope to contend with.

This is definitely my experience as well.

Ahh, I may try again then. I was under the impression that "ranked" was for better players. So I was playing unranked, and getting trounced. Thanks for the info.

Depends on the rank. Rank 20+ seems to be newer Hearthstone players. Good players have to start somewhere though, so you will still encounter them.

Muster for Battle, Purifier and the Shielded Mini Bot are good against aggro decks.

Back