• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Heaphone Suggestions

KillerFry

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
373
Hello;

I'm thinking of buying some kind of good, quality headphones as a Christmas present for me. I would use them mostly for listening to music - rock mainly - from my computer and Zune HD, and some gaming - mostly WoW, SC2, some RPGs, but no Call of Duties or the such.

I've been reading a lot of good stuff about the ATH-A700 that I was convinced to get them or the Grado SR80i. Unfortunately I have a patience problem, so I went to my local audio stores and found none.

What I did find was:

  • Sennheiser HD280
  • Sennheiser HD201
  • AKG K240
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50s
  • Shure SRH840

I figure they are good, and have also read some review of them and they seem to be good options to. Yet, I've not heard much about them on the [H], so I was wondering what the community here had to say about them.

Some of them are also more expensive... is it even worth it? Or should I just... learn to be patient and order either the ATH-A700 / SR80i online?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 
grado is great for rock as ive heard but not much else.
ATH AD700 are great for gaming for 3d sound space
ath m50s are great for music and meh for games cause of sound space. easy to drive though so dont nesisarily need a DAC/AMP. i just got the asus xonar DG (what ever the lowest one is) with the headphone amp and i heard a minor improvement in my M50s but nothing huge
 
No matter what I try I always end up back with my ATH-AD700. I just bought a pair of HD280's for my brother because he plans on being seen in public with them on, but I have not heard them yet. I hear they run a bit small.
 
Olraity then.

I take it I should take this opportunity to develop my patience, hahaha.
 
sometimes the audio section of the forum can be slow. id also recomend joining headfi for headphone and audio questions

they are great in that area
 
Well your uses are perfect for a pair of Grado. Mainly rock music + non-fps games = Grado

You might or might not like the Grado sound and comfort.

If I was in your shoes though, I would go with the Shure SRH840, they're a very solid set of headphones that's jack of all trades but a step up from everything else you listed.

I also agree with Corban, head over to head-fi and you'll have even more options for your needs than the regularly recommended stuff over here since all they talk about are headphones :)
 
I must say i'm new to high end headphones. I was the same way when i saw the ath-a900 drop to less than 200 at a local store, but they were out and i tried some others. Just got the shure srh840 myself. They are built like a tank and sound great. They aren't the most comfortable headphones i tried though. Go try the headphones out if possible before you make a decision, you'll be happier with your purchase.
 
Have owned the Sennheiser HD280's for over 8 years and never have liked them. Use them for home studio recording and always find myself maxing out the volume to mix the basslines down and killing my eardrums for the next couple days because the mids and highs are way out of balance. These headphones produce almost no bass at all and distort like crazy when you turn them up. Sennheiser HD25 dj headphones are way better and the higher end Sennheisers are much better as well but also more money. I'm gonna snatch up a pair of the Shure840's for my next purchase!
 
^ pretty much that. I replaced mine w/ Beyer 770 250 ohms and they're better in every way.
 
i have a pair of sennheiser HD 265's which are discontinued. but they have been the best set of headphones for the last 6 years (I like them more than my older HD600's)

if you can find some new somewhere on ebay or something i'd recommend them
 
I really like the Beyerdynamic DT 990s for the price. Not on your list but I picked them up a few months ago like them much better than the Senns or AKGs you have up there for both music and games.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The hd280s are not a very good rock headphone.
I would go with the shure's since they are comfy and have an all around good sound
 
I really like the Beyerdynamic DT 990s for the price. Not on your list but I picked them up a few months ago like them much better than the Senns or AKGs you have up there for both music and games.
Friend of mine ordered those and the AKG 701's. I brought some Senn 580's and Beyer 770's over. Out of a Little Dot Mach III, he REALLY enjoyed the 990's. I did too. :p
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top