Headphones

XSNiper

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
1,372
What do you guys think the best cans for gaming and music are for less than $50? I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser PC150's but I'm not sure its the best.
 
I also am looking for one within 100 bucks and is closed_cans as well. Sorry to jump on your bandwidth, I figure we could share this thread.
 
I hear good things about AKG K81. They are closed, over-the-head type. Actually I plan to get one sooner or later for portable purposes, it's $70. Go to head-fi dot org for more info.
 
Ok So I just got $200 for free. And more money on the way as I do outstanding in school..So my pricerange just jumped a little. Reviving this thread with a new light, What would be the best set a headphones for a gamer and music addict under $200? (Overthehead)
 
The Grado SR-80s are good. You might be able to find them for $50 used. They retail for $80.
 
dBTelos said:
The Grado SR-80s are good. You might be able to find them for $50 used. They retail for $80.

I heard from a number of people that Grados would not fit the bill for gaming...
 
XSNiper said:
Ok So I just got $200 for free. And more money on the way as I do outstanding in school..So my pricerange just jumped a little. Reviving this thread with a new light, What would be the best set a headphones for a gamer and music addict under $200? (Overthehead)
which music genres do you listen to the most? Given that you also want to game:

rock/metal/pop -- Audio-technica A900 (not AD900) - $190 from audiocubes. Do not need an amp.

classical - Sennheiser HD580 + amp (btw, what's your soundcard? if it's an X-fi with a front panel, you can probably forego the amp and get HD600 if you can find them for around $200).

all-around - either A900 or Sennheiser HD595. 595 does fine unamped as well.


That's the "common" recommendations that people will give you. keep in mind that if you have something like chaintech av-710, even A900 will need an amp. The amplified headphone out is usually marked on the back of the card, if it exists.
 
Battle_Rattle said:
I heard from a number of people that Grados would not fit the bill for gaming...

I know they are good for Rock music. I think this would relate to gaming well.
 
I picked up the HD555's from Sennheiser and it's the best 80 dollar headphones I have ever heard. I got them 1 hour used for 80, when they sell for 110 dollars new at certain places. You can find some used ones down near 50-60 dollar range I think.

They only have one disadvantage: the bass is slightly a little weak--but you can still hear it. But I am serious, they sound awesome. I love the "open" sound of them!!!
 
dBTelos said:
I know they are good for Rock music. I think this would relate to gaming well.
No, soundstage relates to gaming :) And the Grado, sadly has very little.
 
aZn_plyR said:
No, soundstage relates to gaming :) And the Grado, sadly has very little.

Would those fancy 5.1 headphones be what you need for gaming?
 
dBTelos said:
Would those fancy 5.1 headphones be what you need for gaming?
No! Stay far away from those ;)

I agree with the DT-770 + cheap amp recommendation :)
 
Ahriman4891 said:
which music genres do you listen to the most? Given that you also want to game:

rock/metal/pop -- Audio-technica A900 (not AD900) - $190 from audiocubes. Do not need an amp.

classical - Sennheiser HD580 + amp (btw, what's your soundcard? if it's an X-fi with a front panel, you can probably forego the amp and get HD600 if you can find them for around $200).

all-around - either A900 or Sennheiser HD595. 595 does fine unamped as well.


That's the "common" recommendations that people will give you. keep in mind that if you have something like chaintech av-710, even A900 will need an amp. The amplified headphone out is usually marked on the back of the card, if it exists.



I mostly listen to Metal/Rock/Techno and I have an Audigy 2 ZS Regular. I'm kind of looking for a set that doesn't require an amp because I don't understand why you would need anything extra along with the headphones for them to sound good???...I play alot of CS:S so I also need a pair that has a mic.
 
The K81DJ have surprising soundstage for a supraaural headphone and are relatively easy to drive.
 
XSNiper said:
I was looking around CNET for some reviews on some phones and I came across these..
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_HD_280_Pro/4505-6468_7-30235462.html?tag=txt the reason I'm interested in these is not only the review rating but the size. They look smaller than the other headphones I've been seing here and the price is good too. Anybody know if these will fit the gaming bill too?
The HD555's are pointed out to have a better sound and if the the HD280's are pricy, then HD555 price must be a miracle because you can get HD555's for just a little over 100 dollars, or used for like 50-60 possibly. Add a Zalman Mic1 for 10 dollars from Xoxide.com and you'll have one hell of a headset there. That's the combo I run and I love it. The HD280's are closed/sealed headphones so they block out outside noise including hearing your own voice. It is a pain to try and talk on a mic with sealed headphones one. It just sucks. Open headphones like the HD555's feel more natural and they don't really leak that much sound. I'd prefer the HD555's to ANY closed headphones any day of the week.
 
555s are on ebay for like 73 dollars from a big seller, probably has bunch left

here
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top