• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headphones vs Speakers

Oleg34

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2014
Messages
484
Last edited:
of course they do, for one don't compare logitech to a real audio company...|

Also there is no "vs" they are 2 very different things really..
 
True. JBL is known company for it's audio products. As for speakers i should of went with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. What i may do is sell Logitech z623 low end speakers.
 
i prefer speakers over headphones as they dont fatigue my ears (headphones), much larger sound stage, body impact (more life like experience). in regards to detail its depends on your system. bad things cost far more than a good pair of headphones and take much more space.
 
True. JBL is known company for it's audio products. As for speakers i should of went with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. What i may do is sell Logitech z623 low end speakers.

They're about in the same league, IMHO. I wouldn't bother. Your opinion on the Logitech's changed rather quickly. LOL.
 
If you're going to replace the logitechs don't buy any consumer targeted multimedia plastic boxes. Get pro-level active studio monitors instead like the JBL LSR305/308 for example. They're perfectly suited for the job and have a sound quality that's from another planet compared to logitech or Klipsch promedia.
 
In my experience a good set of headphones will allow you to hear details that you haven't ever heard before on speakers.

Down side is its hard to get good bass, I love my subwoofer and how you can feel it. Both have their place. I use headphones at work, but at home I prefer speakers as I like to get up and move and like to have people talk to me while music is going.
 
In my experience a good set of headphones will allow you to hear details that you haven't ever heard before on speakers.

Down side is its hard to get good bass, I love my subwoofer and how you can feel it. Both have their place. I use headphones at work, but at home I prefer speakers as I like to get up and move and like to have people talk to me while music is going.

It means you haven't heard good speakers then ;)

With regular headphones you can't get the holographic stereo imaging a good pair of speakers can give you. The sound is focused inside your head and I find this extremely distracting.
 
I like to play music loud and so does my brother.
For a long time he couldnt play his hifi too loud because of neighbors so bought high end headphones to treat himself.
I was able to blast speakers as loud as I liked. Generally about 10 mins ish of really solid chest thump bass then I'd turn it down to a more manageable level.

He bought a detached house and found to his dismay that every time he played loud through speakers he had strong ringing in his ears for some time after.
(I cant recall if he also gets that through headphones now as well)
Under the same conditions, I dont get ringing and my ears have had some abuse including an eardrum issue that lasted a few years from a subwoofer test!
And he doesnt play as loud on speakers as I do.
His opinion is that playing earphones loud has damaged his hearing.

This is one opinion, see if it can be backed up by anyone else.
If you dont blast music much, it probably doesnt matter.
fyi.
 
I like to play music loud and so does my brother.
For a long time he couldnt play his hifi too loud because of neighbors so bought high end headphones to treat himself.
I was able to blast speakers as loud as I liked. Generally about 10 mins ish of really solid chest thump bass then I'd turn it down to a more manageable level.

He bought a detached house and found to his dismay that every time he played loud through speakers he had strong ringing in his ears for some time after.
(I cant recall if he also gets that through headphones now as well)
Under the same conditions, I dont get ringing and my ears have had some abuse including an eardrum issue that lasted a few years from a subwoofer test!
And he doesnt play as loud on speakers as I do.
His opinion is that playing earphones loud has damaged his hearing.

This is one opinion, see if it can be backed up by anyone else.
If you dont blast music much, it probably doesnt matter.
fyi.

Yes, earphones are extremely dangerous for hearing because people tend to use way higher volumes on headphones compared to regular speakers. Especially bad are the 'over the ear' earbuds that lack bass reproduction.
 
A lot of sense.
Non hifi friends have chatted about how loud they like to have their music.
A prevailing point is that they turn it up loud enough to get the bass level they like.
One stated that the only reason people use EQs or bass controls is if they cant/wont turn the volume up enough which to some degree is true, I sometimes do this when I dont want to play loud (does depend on the music too).
One of the more important aspects of music to me is bass quality and feel, if its not right, the experience is much reduced.
When blasting, I like to feel the effect in my body or the seat.
Because earphones cant give this effect, I would probably have the bass a lot too loud.

Something that may figure:
When I listen to systems that dont respond deep enough, I have ended up boosting upper bass which could be damaging at high level playback, I imagine worse with headphones.
So I suppose, if you like blasting music loud for bass effect, its a good idea to get as deep a response as the music needs to prevent boosting upper bass.
... should you find yourself being as daft about bass as me :)
 
It means you haven't heard good speakers then ;)

With regular headphones you can't get the holographic stereo imaging a good pair of speakers can give you. The sound is focused inside your head and I find this extremely distracting.

Go listen to Ayreon's Amazing Flight (or really they have many suitable songs for this) on speakers and then on headphones. Headphones really add a lot to their music.

Though I do prefer speakers overall. Less listening fatigue. Much more comfortable in general.
 
Back
Top