Headphone recommendations

Rageypoo

n00b
Hello!

I have a new Yamaha receiver, and it comes with a 1/4" headphone jack port. I was wondering what brand/model would you recommend for the best sound experience when I decide to go headphone only instead of the 5.1 surround.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced either of these headphones, feedback appreciated!

It would really help to know how much you are looking to spend. I could recommend you a pair of headphones for $50 or a pair for $500... both of which would sound proportionate to the amount of money spent.

well I guess I could spend maybe...oh $150 at the most, but that's REALLY pushing it. I'd like to try and stay at $50 and under, I've also considered the turtle beach x12's but that's only because I DO sometimes game, but what I'd really like is something a bit more audiophile savvy.

audio technica athm50 are awesome and can be had at around ~$100 when on sale.

but i'd just go with samson sr850 which can be had all day $40-50 and these are awesome for gaming. also, if you go this route do yourself a favor and buy audio technica ad700 velour pads. headphones are same size so these are a direct replacement. can be ordered direct from audio technica for about $4/pad.

audio technica athm50 are awesome and can be had at around ~$100 when on sale.

but i'd just go with samson sr850 which can be had all day $40-50 and these are awesome for gaming. also, if you go this route do yourself a favor and buy audio technica ad700 velour pads. headphones are same size so these are a direct replacement. can be ordered direct from audio technica for about $4/pad.

Seconded. The Samson's are about the best your getting for around $50

I have a chance of getting a pair of Panasonic RP-HC500's for only $50, and they look really good, does anyone own or have used these?

Panasonic isn't really known for headphones these days...

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Thanks Alai, I tried out the panasonic and they're actually really nice, for my needs anyways. The construction is terribly flimsy, I can't see anyone spending $200 for these new, but the sound quality and noise cancellation is actually...not bad!

For $200, Denon D2000 (closed) or ATH-AD900 (open) are pretty amazing. I bought a pair of AKG K701 used for $175. You can find really good deals on head-fi.org. Additionally, head-fi.org is THE premiere online headphone community. You will likely find the best recommendations there. People are really friendly and helpful too.

For $200, Denon D2000 (closed) or ATH-AD900 (open) are pretty amazing. I bought a pair of AKG K701 used for $175. You can find really good deals on head-fi.org. Additionally, head-fi.org is THE premiere online headphone community. You will likely find the best recommendations there. People are really friendly and helpful too.

To OP, Instead of a direct recommendation, some research is warranted like above.

The first two big decisions is whether you want 'closed' or 'open' cans. Open cans in theory are easier to make produce accurate reproductions. The disadvantages are that they essentially send sound outward to a degree so people will hear what you're playing, but also there is essentially no blocking of sound from your environment. So if you have a house full of teenagers, closed cans might be the better choice.

The next choice is whether you want circumaural headphones which the cans are large and seat against your head around your ear or supra-aural headphones which seat directly on your ear. This is more a comfort vs. cost question. Although there are some sound reproduction questions too although maybe splitting hairs depending who you talk to.

Back