headphone amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbeave89

I Like Sperm
complete noob on headphone amps, just looking for a good amp for around 20-40 and want to buy it off ebay

that above is not worth the price. check on ebay for a Cmoy Amp . it goes 30$+ ..

swatX said:
that above is not worth the price. check on ebay for a Cmoy Amp . it goes 30$+ ..

I would also be interested in knowing why its not worth the price..

If you're looking in that price range, DIY amps offer a huge advantage in terms of quality vs price.

You asked:
"Who or what is a Mister X and does he have a website?"

Mister X is a highly regarded amp builder and mentor at the website head-fi.org. It's a website that is all about headphones. You can do a search on Mister X there and find many many posts that show that he's an expert on PIMETA amps and well known for the quality of his work. No website that I know of though.

I've personally owned two pimeta amps built by MisterX. Both of them opened my eyes to the potential headphones have for private music listening. He is a well known headphone amp builder with a reputation for top notch quality amps, and I might add top notch service as well.

While his recommendation may not be in the price range given, it is a fantastic deal. The power supply included will cost you $35 alone. The amp would be significantly better sounding than a cmoy and if you don't become obsessed with the hobby like many people do, you could live happily with that amp for a very long time.

Just my $.02

actually he may want to look at a sonic t-amp as I'm starting to find them much better home solutions for people on the extreme budget than a basic cmoy. Having said that, $20-40 does pigeon hole you pretty severly.

would this make my sound sound better on my iPod ear buds? lol

probally make them blow up like those poppers you throw on the grown that go snap

killernoodle said:
15w would blow just about any headphones instantly.

AKG K1000 + Sonic-T is a favorite combo

EchoMatrix said:
would this make my sound sound better on my iPod ear buds? lol

probally make them blow up like those poppers you throw on the grown that go snap

Look into better headphones first... ;)

Talonz said:
AKG K1000 + Sonic-T is a favorite combo
or beyer dt880s.....plus its not going to be putting out a constant 15w, your not having the thing on full vol constantly.

swatX said:

Are the $30 Cmoy Amps better than a Mister X Pimeta Amp? I would really like to know. Cause I am all "EARS" for that comparison. And who is Mister X, is he like a real person with legs and arms an stuff? Got skills? ;)

I HAD one of those T-amps....the sound is nice, but the quality of the unit is pretty sad. I managed to fry the PCB by using the EXACT spec and polarity power adaptor as their own.

That's just messed up.

Needless to say, that price is pretty good for a decent amp. Buying a retail amp of similar build will easily run $200...like my Creek did.

sdgserv said:
Are the $30 Cmoy Amps better than a Mister X Pimeta Amp? I would really like to know. Cause I am all "EARS" for that comparison. And who is Mister X, is he like a real person with legs and arms an stuff? Got skills? ;)

LOL. he is a moderator on [H] too :)

here is "his" laymans comparisons that he gave me a while back.. ;) I am going by memory since I deleted all my pm's.

Cmoy = Geforce 1 (cheap but get's the job done while quality could be better) $30-$75
Pimeta = Geforce 3 (quality better but at a higher cost) $150-200 ?
PPA = 6800 Ultra (cost is no object, quality outstanding) $250+ ?

correct me if I am wrong.. I was guessing on the prices

sdgserv said:
in fact he posted twice in this thread already, including the link to the ebay auction for his amp.

mustang_steve said:
I HAD one of those T-amps....the sound is nice, but the quality of the unit is pretty sad. I managed to fry the PCB by using the EXACT spec and polarity power adaptor as their own.

That's just messed up.

Needless to say, that price is pretty good for a decent amp. Buying a retail amp of similar build will easily run $200...like my Creek did.
well all I'm saying is t-amp vs cmoy, t-amp wins imo. Alot of things best the t imo, but they are much larger in budget. I mean the guy said $20-40 budget....I could have suggested a dynahi, but where would that get us?

I am sorry that my tounge and cheek reply derailed this thread. ;)
I invite you to post a new one but this one is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back