Head Scratcher: Can't see Network or Networked Computers

turb0

Gawd
Ok.

I have this computer:

Dell Latitude D520
XP Pro SP3
Wirelessly Connected

It's connected to the office network and can access the internet just fine but the machine will not see other computers on the network or access the workgroups?!?

Network Printing and Inet work just fine.

My problem is that this computer needs to access a mapped Drive on another Computer but can't access it at all.

Things to note:

Computer is on the proper Workgroup.
Computer's Firewall is turned off
Computer's AV is AntiVir.
Computer MyNetwork Places is blank... and will error that it can not see other computers on the network

I have 4 other Dell D520s just like this lappy and they are all configured the exact same way and work just fine.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Start -> Run -> //computername ?

there's probably a service not running that's keeping My Network Places from working... I just can't think of which one it is off the top of my head.

and maybe a dumb question, but Client for Microsoft Networks is checked in the LAC properties on the laptop with issues, correct? :p

I've had problems with Anti-Virus programs blocking shared information on a network. Everything was set right but Trend Micro IS was blocking me from getting info on other workstations. Try stopping all Anti-Vir services from running on either machines, then try again. If that works, tweak with your Anti-Vir settings and find where it blocks network drives.

I say this because I know Anti-vir is a pretty sensitive program.

and maybe a dumb question, but Client for Microsoft Networks is checked in the LAC properties on the laptop with issues, correct? :p

It's checked and Anti Vir is all set like the other machines...

I can't find this service or issue that's keeping this machine from loading the network properly....

I'm off to re-google the issue..

network neighborhood doesnt always work right, you shouldnt rely on it.
Easiest, most reliable way is to just make a shortcut to \\OtherPCName\SharedItemName

you didnt asnwer j-ta's post #2, does Start>Run \\OtherPCName\SharedItemName work or not ?

yeah, no those don't work.

ex: \\Filesrv1\Utilities ------ can not find...

I did do start >>run >> cmd nbtstat -n and all looks fine, so I know the netbios is working alright.

Here's a shot in the dark...

can you ping the workstation?

Is the IP address on the machine that's having issues being retreived from your DHCP server, or is it staticed out? If it's staticed out, verify that the IP address isn't used and on the same subnet.

Check that the TCP/IP netbios helper is running. If it's not, start it up and set it to automatic.

I saw that earlier today in another google search i did....

waiting for machine to get free and I'm gonna jump on it and double check that.

Back