hdt cooler orientation on socket

hdtpipesandcorehorizontal.jpg
hdtpipesandcore.jpg

so i got the Vendetta 2 and was wondering what would be the most efficient way to mount these hdt coolers. I made some not to scale pictures on where the heatpipes would be touching and where the core is. From these it's looking like having the cooler blow out the top instead of outback would have more contact. I have an antec 900. Then again these pictures are not to scale and was wondering you guys had tried this already. Heatpipes are the slashed out portions

What CPU are you using? If its a Quad the orientation is different.

Anyway with these coolers on a C2 Duo, its more important that you get the cooler pointed in the right direction to work with your system cooling airflow (which is not much of an issue with an Antec 900 anyway).

You'd generally want the heatpipes perpendicular to the long side of the core, to maximize the number of heatpipes that are in contact directly above the die. However, in practice it probably doesn't really matter. It's more important to have it in an orientation that works with the airflow in your case, like ocellaris mentioned.

well i'm using a duo and not a quad
and perpendicular to the long side of the core?
it seems like there is more contact being parallel to the long side, The perpendicular one has less contact but the other two heatpipes a tiny bit little closer. so that's the dilemma. Also airflow in my 900 isn't an issue because i'm running 4 fans in the front.
airflow.jpg

Not sure it applies to your situation but I have been playing with a Q6660 and an Artric Freezer Pro in an Antec 900 case with the 200mm big boy fan in the top.

I have discovered that if I reverse the direction of the rear case fan (normally blow out) to blow in and have the cpu heatsink fan (normally points towards rear fan) pointing up, I can OC to 3.6GHz and let the cpu fan use EIST and C1E in the bios to reduce the noise. In other words the airflow from the rear fan hitting the Freezers fins lets me run the Freezer in PWM mode and its a heck of a lot quieter. Big Boy fan on medum. Normally I would force the Freezer to 100% due to the high OC and its fan makes a fair amount of noise at 100%.

With all that intake in the front and if you have a big boy up top, you really dont need the rear fan to blow out if the cpu heatsink points up.

Oh IHS = Intergrate Heat Spreader one guess as to what it does :p

eh try it both ways and see for yourself, its half the fun, of course one must include tearing your computer apart as entertainment to call it fun. ;)

The other thing I like is with the Freezer (your heatsink might be so tall it will not matter) pointing up the fan sucks air right past/through the MCH/northbridge heatsink eliminating any cooling worries about it too.

One thing I asked Artric about was fan bearing life in this orientation as it was not mentioned in the installation instructions which all show sideways orientation. Got no reply. On the other hand the fans on my WC rads have been laying down for 2 years now so /shrug.

Installed the side window fan and then took it right back off. Totally uneeded and I hate the wiring in the way. I am only running 3 120s in front. Dear God man, youse gots da fans - wow !!

Interesting, I too moved the drive cages/fan up one slot position like your pic shows.

How are you getting drives in the cages with fans on both ends ? I mounted drives in the upper bay so the bottom one has clear shot at video card. Oh nm I see what is likely your drive mounting scews in the very lower bay. Not sure I like that, would want drive to get some of that huge front intake air. But thats just me. Plenty of drives lived many a year with no air on them.

Just some random thoughts ideas.

haha i did a harddrive reversal, so that the cables don't run straight back, also the 92mm on the bottom is used to pull some air over the harddrive, and it doesn't go over 35C. I did it this way because it looks cleaner, i get stronger airflow, and to keep it within non-fail prone temperatures. In google's fail rate study they show that drives that are cooler than 30C and drives that were hotter than 45 failed significantly more than those within 30-45C. So when i had it mounted in the bay with the 120mm blowing over it, it must have been below 30 (didn't really check until i hardmounted it on the bottom).
Oh i am also a bit of a silence freak myself, so my 8800GT is "passive" and the two fans in the front are at 7V, the back, the inner intakes are 12V (scythes) the 200mm is at 7V, the rear exhuast and heatsinks are are 12v (scythes), the blower is on low (i plan on removing th is anyway), the spotcool is on low and the 92mm at the bottom is at 5V. I just noticed i don't run any of the non-scythe fans at 12V haha.

ahhh thats what the 90 is for, doh !!! nice job on the drive, until I noticed the screws I would have missed it completely.

well i'm using a duo and not a quad
and perpendicular to the long side of the core?
it seems like there is more contact being parallel to the long side, The perpendicular one has less contact but the other two heatpipes a tiny bit little closer. so that's the dilemma.

The Vendetta 2 has three heatpipes. when the heatpipes are perpendicular to the long side of the core, You have a greater amount of heatpipes making good contact with the core. The length of the contact area with each heatpipe is not important, it's the amount of heatpipes that are in direct contact with the die that matter.

Back