• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDMI input for iMac?

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
4,403
Hey. I see that the Blackmagic Intensity is availiable for PCI-express slots... but what is there for something like the iMac or the Macbook pro?

Is there anyway i could get HDMI input via firewire or something?


I'm looking for a way to capture from my camera in full/non-compressed 1080p.


Thanks.
 
I don't know what exactly you are trying to do but you could get an HDMI -> DVI cable and then get a mini dvi -> DVI adapter for your iMac (assuming you have a current iMac with mini dvi out). Previous iMacs only had mini vga out.

EDIT: you could do this whole thing for about $30. $20 for the mini dvi adapter and ~$10 for the HDMI -> DVI cable from monoprice.
 
I don't know what exactly you are trying to do but you could get an HDMI -> DVI cable and then get a mini dvi -> DVI adapter for your iMac (assuming you have a current iMac with mini dvi out). Previous iMacs only had mini vga out.

EDIT: you could do this whole thing for about $30. $20 for the mini dvi adapter and ~$10 for the HDMI -> DVI cable from monoprice.

I will quote the original post with emphasis on the part you apparently didn't understand...

Hey. I see that the Blackmagic Intensity is availiable for PCI-express slots... but what is there for something like the iMac or the Macbook pro?

Is there anyway i could get HDMI input via firewire or something?


I'm looking for a way to capture from my camera in full/non-compressed 1080p.
 
WTF are you talking about, doing what I suggested would have no loss of quality. It also would allow him to have HDMI INPUT on his Mac...or should I emphasize the part you failed to understand :rolleyes:
 
Inputs and Outputs are different things.

The iMac has a Mini-DVI Output which allow using a second external display.

What the OP want is an Input. To record video from a camera to the iMac hard drive.

2 different words, 2 different uses. At least you learned something today. =)
 
Inputs and Outputs are different things.

The iMac has a Mini-DVI Output which allow using a second external display.

What the OP want is an Input. To record video from a camera to the iMac hard drive.

2 different words, 2 different uses. At least you learned something today. =)

:p whoops, I totally forgot the mini dvi was output :eek:
 
I'm glad my Dell XPS has an HDMI port.

Apple... Grrr... Steve Jobs and AT&T make me angry.
 
Well if you get a mini dvi to dvi adapter, then a dvi to hdmi adapter you can hdmi out on an iMac. I did this with my macbook. I bought the mini dvi to dvi adapter from best buy for $10. Then i picked up a dvi to hdmi *female* adapter on ebay for 5 bucks.
 
Well if you get a mini dvi to dvi adapter, then a dvi to hdmi adapter you can hdmi out on an iMac. I did this with my macbook. I bought the mini dvi to dvi adapter from best buy for $10. Then i picked up a dvi to hdmi *female* adapter on ebay for 5 bucks.

Yea, that works for output, not input.

And even then, the DVI>>HDMI would not have the audio channels passing through, it would only be video.
 
I don't believe there is another transport that can handle the requirements of 1080p video:

http://nslog.com/2006/11/18/1080p_math said:
*1080p Uncompressed Video Bandwidth*
(...)
6,220,800 bytes x 30 fps = 186,624,000 bytes/sec (187Mbytes/sec)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths said:
PCI Express (x1 link) 250 MB/s
PCI Express (x2 link) 500 MB/s
etc...

USB Hi-Speed (USB 2.0) 60 MB/s
FireWire (IEEE 1394b) 800 98.304 MB/s

then the hard drives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths said:
Ultra DMA ATA 133 MB/s
Serial ATA (SATA-150) 187.5 MB/s
Serial ATA (SATA-300) 375 MB/s

Since these are theoretical maximums, the SATA-150 is probably unrealistic.

So from my googling, which still could be completely wrong, you would need a PCI-X slot plus a SATA-300 drive to even think about 1080p uncompressed, nothing less will work.
 
Remember, the iMac has a firewire port. Perhaps that may be of use? (I believe that is the best quality that you may find at the moment).
 
Back
Top