HDMI input for iMac?

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey. I see that the Blackmagic Intensity is availiable for PCI-express slots... but what is there for something like the iMac or the Macbook pro?

Is there anyway i could get HDMI input via firewire or something?

I'm looking for a way to capture from my camera in full/non-compressed 1080p.

Thanks.

I don't know what exactly you are trying to do but you could get an HDMI -> DVI cable and then get a mini dvi -> DVI adapter for your iMac (assuming you have a current iMac with mini dvi out). Previous iMacs only had mini vga out.

EDIT: you could do this whole thing for about $30. $20 for the mini dvi adapter and ~$10 for the HDMI -> DVI cable from monoprice.

I don't know what exactly you are trying to do but you could get an HDMI -> DVI cable and then get a mini dvi -> DVI adapter for your iMac (assuming you have a current iMac with mini dvi out). Previous iMacs only had mini vga out.

EDIT: you could do this whole thing for about $30. $20 for the mini dvi adapter and ~$10 for the HDMI -> DVI cable from monoprice.

I will quote the original post with emphasis on the part you apparently didn't understand...

Hey. I see that the Blackmagic Intensity is availiable for PCI-express slots... but what is there for something like the iMac or the Macbook pro?

Is there anyway i could get HDMI input via firewire or something?

I'm looking for a way to capture from my camera in full/non-compressed 1080p.

WTF are you talking about, doing what I suggested would have no loss of quality. It also would allow him to have HDMI INPUT on his Mac...or should I emphasize the part you failed to understand :rolleyes:

Inputs and Outputs are different things.

The iMac has a Mini-DVI Output which allow using a second external display.

What the OP want is an Input. To record video from a camera to the iMac hard drive.

2 different words, 2 different uses. At least you learned something today. =)

Inputs and Outputs are different things.

The iMac has a Mini-DVI Output which allow using a second external display.

What the OP want is an Input. To record video from a camera to the iMac hard drive.

2 different words, 2 different uses. At least you learned something today. =)

:p whoops, I totally forgot the mini dvi was output :eek:

I'm glad my Dell XPS has an HDMI port.

Apple... Grrr... Steve Jobs and AT&T make me angry.

Well if you get a mini dvi to dvi adapter, then a dvi to hdmi adapter you can hdmi out on an iMac. I did this with my macbook. I bought the mini dvi to dvi adapter from best buy for $10. Then i picked up a dvi to hdmi *female* adapter on ebay for 5 bucks.

Well if you get a mini dvi to dvi adapter, then a dvi to hdmi adapter you can hdmi out on an iMac. I did this with my macbook. I bought the mini dvi to dvi adapter from best buy for $10. Then i picked up a dvi to hdmi *female* adapter on ebay for 5 bucks.

Yea, that works for output, not input.

And even then, the DVI>>HDMI would not have the audio channels passing through, it would only be video.

I don't believe there is another transport that can handle the requirements of 1080p video:

http://nslog.com/2006/11/18/1080p_math said:
*1080p Uncompressed Video Bandwidth*
(...)
6,220,800 bytes x 30 fps = 186,624,000 bytes/sec (187Mbytes/sec)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths said:
PCI Express (x1 link) 250 MB/s
PCI Express (x2 link) 500 MB/s
etc...

USB Hi-Speed (USB 2.0) 60 MB/s
FireWire (IEEE 1394b) 800 98.304 MB/s

then the hard drives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths said:
Ultra DMA ATA 133 MB/s
Serial ATA (SATA-150) 187.5 MB/s
Serial ATA (SATA-300) 375 MB/s

Since these are theoretical maximums, the SATA-150 is probably unrealistic.

So from my googling, which still could be completely wrong, you would need a PCI-X slot plus a SATA-300 drive to even think about 1080p uncompressed, nothing less will work.

Remember, the iMac has a firewire port. Perhaps that may be of use? (I believe that is the best quality that you may find at the moment).

Back