HDMI 5.1 passthrough problems.

nimbyfaygo

Limp Gawd
I'm getting a little out of my league with this new setup. I've been wanting to try out 5.1 on my gaming setup. So I picked up an open box Pioneer VSX-522 receiver, I have it connected via HDMI from my 6970. That part was simple.
5.1 content plays back great, all channels are working properly.

The problem is upmixing, the receiver doesn't have the ability to enable Dolby Pro-logic II or anything else based on the input I'm using (HDMI). I was under the impression that using the HDMI connection is superior to Optical because optical won't pass anything but compressed PCM. This receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs.

I'm sure that the computers onboard sound can upmix but it's not being used because of the HDMI output of the video card. I'm guessing that an external sound card with HDMI can process/upmix 2 channel content before its sent out, but I don't think that I want to buy a 150$ sound card that will only be used for its ability to upmix. I think the real question is this a limitation of my receiver? Do other models have this ablity?

Other brands don't specify if they can do this kind of processing or not. The sales people I spoke with didn't have a clue about my configuration. I'd be willing to return this receiver and get a different model but if it's just going to cost a bunch more money, I'll just live with it.

What do you mean by upmix? Like taking a 2-channel source and changing it to Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or something?

What do you mean by upmix? Like taking a 2-channel source and changing it to Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or something?

I'm not sure what the correct term is. I'm referring to upmix as taking 2 channel material and playing it through all 5 of the speakers connected to the receiver.

I'm not an expert, but I think the term is upconvert, which I don't think many/any do at all since there isn't enough information, (well maybe some super expensive stuff probably). I know most receivers can play the simulated stereo through the 5 speakers, but its essentially just a copy, not really an upconvert. You may have to manually controll your receiver and try a few of the pro logic modes, like PIIX or something if its available. I gave up a long time ago, and just bought some good front drivers for my 5.1 system, so when I do play the stereo sound and it only comes out of those drivers, it sounds fine.

I'm not sure what the correct term is. I'm referring to upmix as taking 2 channel material and playing it through all 5 of the speakers connected to the receiver.

Yamaha uses the X channel stereo to "upmix" 2 channel to X channels. if the Prologic signal is not present, then the receiver cannot create the 5 channels.Pioneer's manual should be able to show you how to get sound from all speakers using a 2 channel source Other DSP options may or may not use all speakers but most should (Jass Hall effect for example)

You need to set the realtek sound output to default and advanced settings on dolby digital live.

This will convert all audio to dolby digital. I am connected to my monitor with dvi. I had to duplicate video output to get hdmi audio sound working.

Using 9800gt and denon avr-1712

I'm pretty sure the pioneer receiver should have an enhanced stereo mode where it takes 2 channel PCM input and upmixes it so you can get 5 channels from your 2 channel source. You should be able to select it with the controller.

It turns out this receiver has a mode called EXT.STEREO, it appears to do exactly what I'm wanting. It makes 2 channel audio play out of all speakers with some reasonable processing included to keep imaging fairly intact. Other wise I've just been keeping it on auto surround mode. That way all the mcacc setup stays intact.

I really do appreciate all the advice. The manual included with the equipment was not much help with the initial setup. I think there is entirely too much specific jargon used in the surround sound industry. It takes ridiculous amount of research to figure out what does what. And there are entirely too many different competing formats. I mean the Digital audio compression guide is 256 pages.

Well, if you have an option on the receiver to use straight mode then enable that. That will allow you to get that hd audio and stuff when you are watching a blu-ray movie on a player like TMT5. Another thing is if you want to enable dolby digital you should have that option to do it on your receiver. Unless you are using a xonar or some seperate sound card I don'tthink you have the option to control the upmixing or whatever from the AMD Catalyst panel. If you have TMT5 or other programs you can have that ability by enabling it under the settings.

I would think you could just leave it set to Ext Stereo or whatever as it should only apply that setting to stereo signals, 5.1 or 7.1 would be handled normally (direct mapping). Might be a little more convenient that way, worth trying out anyhow.

Back