HDD Transfer speed messed up after house move...

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
I don't really know how to state the title so sorry if it's not what you were expecting or if this is the wrong sub forum.

I just got my computer back after a moving company had it for the better part of 7 months. When I opened it up to make sure nothing had come loose, especially hoses since it's water cooled, I found hard drives in various states of inappropriate positions... Most were screwed in, but about 4 of them had come loose and were banging around in my computer... I checked them for obvious damage then put them in their correct positions and after adding distilled water, my computer booted right into windows.

Here is the odd part. I cannot transfer anything larger than a few gigs between the drives. Including my external hard drives. For instance, I have repeatedly tried to move a 9.8GB folder containing the first season of game of thrones. Across the USB3 port (it's a usb 3 external) I get about 32MB/s transfer, but it drops by about .5MB/s every second or 2 until it gets down to a few KB and stalls out. Will just hang there for hours...

I get the same thing going from Internal HDD to Internal HDD via Sata II ports... I have tried various combinations across all 12 Internal HDD's and 3 USB3 externals all with the same result. All the externals are running around 80-90MB/s on my laptop via USB3.

Hard drive health reports all drives good and other than this problem the system seems stable. No BSD etc and I can run Diablo 3, SC FA, and Sins without problems.

Anyone have any idea's?

Edit: forgot to mention, rig is my sig rig...

Last edited:
Try booting into a Linux Live CD and try moving files between drives then. That'll rule out a possible OS issue.

On a mint 13 disc i copied ~a 20GB folder from 3 different drives to 3 different drives (accessing 6 drives at once, 2 stalled out, 2 were down to around 13MB/s and 2 were running around 40-50MB/s.

I think I might have some bum drives even though HDDH is telling me they are not bad. It's wierd though. I moved a 5.4GB folder from the USB 3 external I had with me that I know is good to a HDD I was running 40-50MB/s on a few seconds ago and was getting 13-18MB/s...

It's fricken wierd tbh. I dont see how my system could run stable if the MB had been damaged.

The majority of the drives are WDC WD20EARS (Western Digital 2TB Green) drives (I am a data hoarder...) I have tried clearing bios and setting up defaults but it has changed nothing.

Last edited:
Switched over to linux partition instead of the live cd on the desktop and Disk Utility is telling me all drives are healthy as well. My external is reporting 55c for some reason, but all internal drives are between 28 and 31c.

Hmm, do you have a spare PC? Test the internal drives in that other PC.

ya i do. This is going to take a bit, I will get back with ya in the morning sometime.

Try using WD's diagnostic tools and see what that turns up. Maybe somehow you're hitting bad sectors that were damaged during the move? Not sure how, hard drives have had automatic head parking for decades now. Perhaps clear off one drive and run a full scan disk (or other similar program) and/or do a full format to force it to look at the entire platter and identify bad sectors (if that is what the problem is). Otherwise I have no clue. Hopefully its limited to only the HDDs and not other components.

Well today has been a busy day. Unpacking is always frustrating.... I ran through all the drives on another computer and they all worked fine at expected speeds. I ran WD's Diagnostics on every drive, friggen 5 hours per drive doing 5 at a time... All came back clean. I cleared the bios again and pulled the bat. Re ran every cable to each one and made sure everything was seated well. Ran through all the bios settings and made sure they were right.

Now I am again moving data between drives at full speeds. About 54GB transfer moved at an avg of 70MB/s and staying above 100MB/s for a long while. I have no idea what actually fixed the problem as I have checked the cables and cleared the bios several times.

Back