Hdcp Good News!

stelleg151

Limp Gawd
I just heard from the HTGuys (the radioshow on AVSForums.com) that Sony has decided that if you have analog outputs you will still be able to watch HDCP "protected" content in full glory (full resolution).

Good to hear, and I think there is a component --> VGA device, so those of us with PC monitors will be able to watch HDCP content. (Correct me if Im wrong about component--> VGA)

This may be the case for stand alone Blu Ray players, but I don't think this will apply to Vista's hdcp DRM.

Thats only Sony content and their initial copies. They still reserve the right to turn it on later, and others such as fox will likely turn it on.

jebo_4jc said:
This may be the case for stand alone Blu Ray players, but I don't think this will apply to Vista's hdcp DRM.

I believe its enabled on the disks, so if it is disabled on the disks than it should be able to pass through Vista's DRM just fine.

Thats only Sony content and their initial copies. They still reserve the right to turn it on later, and others such as fox will likely turn it on.

Im not sure about this, because I think Sony will be the one manufacturing the BluRay disks, so I think they will have final say in whether or not they can be passed through analog output without HDCP. However you are right about the future, I think the quote was that this bypass of HDCP will be possible for the "foreseeable future"

either way, it is a step in the right direction. Maybe others will follow Sony.

stelleg151 said:
Im not sure about this, because I think Sony will be the one manufacturing the BluRay disks
That doesn't matter, it's up the indiviual studios whether or not they want to enable downsampling or not. All this means is that Sony isn't going to right away and it might put pressure on the other studios to do the the same.

stelleg151 said:
Im not sure about this, because I think Sony will be the one manufacturing the BluRay disks

No, not true. Sony will certainly manufacture BluRay discs, but they won't be the only ones. Otherwise, Sony would be manufacturing every single BluRay disc out there! You didn't see this with Philips and DVD-9.

Back