HD6970 vs gtx580 benchmarks

Dan D the only thing I can say to you is that for everyone who wants the best , many of us don't want a scene out of Christmas vacation.

Until nvidia has single card multi monitor gaming , thier video cards are a no go. The 5850 is playing everything i throw at it on my tripple 24inch set up just fine right now. I use MLAA instead of fsaa because frankly jaggys are hard to see at that resolution.

I'm hoping hardocp has some eyefinity resolution benchmarks. I think i can get $150-$180 for my 5850 and if I can , I will jump on the 6950 2GB for the frame buffer. IF its not a worth while upgrade , I will simply wait for 32nm .

I'm just praying that SW TOR has multi monitor support and that one card out at its release will play it just fine at my resolution.

i'd be right there with you if a single graphics card could handle 7680x1600. since there isn't one the NVSurround requirement of SLI is a moot point since I'll have it anyway. Also I won't need a display port to DVI adapter. For Eyefinity it cost me $86 for an active unit I knew would work.

i'd be right there with you if a single graphics card could handle 7680x1600. since there isn't one the NVSurround requirement of SLI is a moot point since I'll have it anyway. Also I won't need a display port to DVI adapter. For Eyefinity it cost me $86 for an active unit I knew would work.

oh i see where your coming from. I'm glad your happy with your gtx 580s.

Just see where others are coming from. I can't justify droping over $1000 on the gtx 580s , having to get an sli board , having to get a 1000w power supply when I can simply run my 5850 or a 6950 or what have you and in less than a year get a 32nm video card that is prob faster than the two gtx 580s and uses less power.

Nvidia really needs to get single card multi monitors set up.

Btw I wouldn't buy any dual card set up unless it used very little power.

oh i see where your coming from. I'm glad your happy with your gtx 580s.

Just see where others are coming from. I can't justify droping over $1000 on the gtx 580s , having to get an sli board , having to get a 1000w power supply when I can simply run my 5850 or a 6950 or what have you and in less than a year get a 32nm video card that is prob faster than the two gtx 580s and uses less power.

Nvidia really needs to get single card multi monitors set up.

Btw I wouldn't buy any dual card set up unless it used very little power.

Well I haven't got the GTX 580's in yet. They should arrive tomorrow. If all goes well I'll be gaming on those sometime in the late afternoon or early evening. I do see where others are coming from. My decision made sense for me and me alone. If I were running a single monitor, even a 30" monitor I'd probably stick with my Radeon HD 5970. It looks like it remains the single fastest video card out there, even if it is a dual GPU solution. And personally I've never had any problems with that. Not with the Radeon HD 5970 anyway. The 4870 x2's and earlier cards were another story. If value were a concern, or power consumption, then obviously my choices would need some additional evaluation. However I don't care about power usage or cost. Operating or otherwise. I'm looking for absolute performance and that's the bottom line for me. And for me it seems like the GTX 580's were the best option to meet my needs.

And yes, I agree with you in that NVIDIA really needs to get triple monitor gaming working on a single card. Matrox did it years ago and AMD has been doing it for quite some time now. There is no reason why they shouldn't offer the same.

glad , now go find out if sw tor uses multimonitor gaming ! Seriously , i got no power but you might be able to find out haha.

I'm trying to decide if i should stick with the 5850 or buy a 6950 . I'm going to play the witcher 2 and then prob when that is done just play tor for the rest of the year.

I was kinda hoping the 6970 was going to bring a huge bump to performance. But then again with 2x GTX 580's I wasn't looking forward to my brand new cards getting trumped by cheaper cards. I guess in the end the 580 still being the fastest single GPU card but also the most money works out.

I remember when some people where saying the 6970 was going to be 30+ % faster than the 580. Now we know why the 6970 was delayed over a month. They where just trying to make it as fast as nVidia's second fastest GPU, the 570 for the more mid-range market.

I was kinda hoping the 6970 was going to bring a huge bump to performance. But then again with 2x GTX 580's I wasn't looking forward to my brand new cards getting trumped by cheaper cards. I guess in the end the 580 still being the fastest single GPU card but also the most money works out.

I remember when some people where saying the 6970 was going to be 30+ % faster than the 580. Now we know why the 6970 was delayed over a month. They where just trying to make it as fast as nVidia's second fastest GPU, the 570 for the more mid-range market.

Cayman will forever be remembered by me as the William Wallace of graphic cards. It got more powerful with every rumor and no matter what happened it's legend grew more and more. I think it was due to some overzealous fans rooting for AMD but when they release cards this good at prices like this everyone kind of gives a piece of their heart away. Even I did. I gotta tip my hat to them for that.

Cayman will forever be remembered by me as the William Wallace of graphic cards. It got more powerful with every rumor and no matter what happened it's legend grew more and more. I think it was due to some overzealous fans rooting for AMD but when they release cards this good at prices like this everyone kind of gives a piece of their heart away. Even I did. I gotta tip my hat to them for that.

Partly because everyone bought into the 1920 shader rumor.

Partly because everyone bought into the 1920 shader rumor.

Exactly, partly that but sometimes also other things, Changes to the Simd design, etc.. etc.. whenever it needed a boost it somehow got it via rumors and speculation. As far as its price, I think it's sweet but if nvidia does the unthinkable and lowers GTX 580/570 price to 6900 levels and matches prices (I dont think they will but...). "Checkmate"

The 30-40% faster than the GTX 580, was only a belief shared by the most hardcore AMD zealots (and there are quite a few), but it was totally unrealistic, even if the 1920 SP rumor was true.

Some argued that it would at least match the GTX 580 and it still fell short of that. But at least the price is right.

But what gets me is the awful performance increase over Cypress. They clearly underestimated NVIDIA, because they were aiming "only" at beating the GTX 480. And that's over one year after the release of Cypress. AMD aimed too low.

Just woke up and read the [H] review myself. Same drivers, 10.11. Any word on the magic driver from other review sites? Does it exist?

you gotta love AMD...whenever they get beat they resort to severely undercutting Nvidia to try and make up for the performance...which in turn makes the card appear in a much better light in reviews...$370 for the 6970 is crazy (in a good way)

Just woke up and read the [H] review myself. Same drivers, 10.11. Any word on the magic driver from other review sites? Does it exist?

Nope, it looks like AMD was caught with their pants down this time around with performance, they aimed way too low if they were hoping to regain the performance crown.

The 6970 transistor number is 2.64B compared to 3B for 580 or 88%.

The die size of the 6970 is 389mm^2, compared with 520mm^22 for 580 or 75%

The power consumption the a lot lower than I expected, 88 watts lower than the 580 on [H]'s Mafia II test. The difference looks a bit too high in fact.

AMD can definitely price it's card lower due to both lower die size and better yields associated with fabbing a smalling die, and AMD still keeps their efficiency advantage.

6990 is definitely possible with this die, so in the end I like it.

I love these "wait forever for new drivers!", then it will blow everything else away posts. AMD would be stupid to launch a brand new high end line with crippling drivers. So far the reports of the "new" drivers don't seem to make much of a difference.

I love these "wait forever for new drivers!", then it will blow everything else away posts. AMD would be stupid to launch a brand new high end line with crippling drivers. So far the reports of the "new" drivers don't seem to make much of a difference.
Reviews have said the same thing.
The drivers are a mess, the product was essentially rushed in the sense that it's not what AMD originally wanted. They do potentially have a lot of room to improve with new drivers.

I suppose the same could be said about any video card, but the circumstances for the 6900's are a little different.

Normally I'd agree, but the circumstances here were a little different. Everyone who posted the 'disappointing' benchmarks, before the NDA was out, were using the 10.11 drivers. One guy posted what appeared to be significantly better results in one of the benchmarks( Heaven I think?) and said he got his drivers from a special link provided by Sapphire or something.

Then there was the fact that the 6950 was actually just on-par with the 5870 in some of the early reviews; it would make little sense for AMD to place it there, which again hinted more was to come in drivers.

So yeah, normally such speculation doesn't make much sense, but in this case it had something going for it. And there's still hope, as UtopiA says, that this new design has room to improve with drivers since it's so different from the old one.

At least one site (wish I could remember the link) did a comparison between the 10.11 and the 10.12 drivers, and found no significant differences, so if we are waiting for driver improvements it doesn't look like the 10.12s are going to provide them (at least in their current non-hotfix form).

This is my problem with the 6970:

Maybe the HD 6950 is priced well but I think for the majority of PC gamers the 6970 actually comes in equal to or behind the GTX 570 as far as what settings are playable and which are not. Both are great products but I guess the answer is that 8x AA isn't really necessary anyway so at 1080p your better of with a 6850.

This is my problem with the 6970:

Maybe the HD 6950 is priced well but I think for the majority of PC gamers the 6970 actually comes in equal to or behind the GTX 570 as far as what settings are playable and which are not. Both are great products but I guess the answer is that 8x AA isn't really necessary anyway so at 1080p your better of with a 6850.

One of the few percentage graphs I actually can understand without needing a glossary.

The drivers are a mess, the product was essentially rushed in the sense that it's not what AMD originally wanted. They do potentially have a lot of room to improve with new drivers.

it takes months for AMD to get their drivers optimized for their new cards and by that time another card will be almost ready to be released...that's one of the main reasons I switched from the 5870 to GTX 580...Nvidia optimizes their drivers a LOT sooner, pretty much immediately

So do they have a card now that competes with the gtx580? I am completely lost with their new numbering scheme.

Cayman will forever be remembered by me as the William Wallace of graphic cards.

Oh, gawd, not the William Wallace reference again!
:D

Got to admit the Cayman release has been somewhat disappointing, with the HD6970 trading blows with the GTX570, not the HD6950 trading blows the GTX 580 that had been rumored. And of course the 1920SP rumor was just a figment of someone's imagination, possibly a misunderstands from +20% on the 'shader' count.

But it does have some nice features, such as PowerTune, and CSAA, and better tessellation than the HD5xxx & HD68xx....
- still not as good as NV though

I'm hoping hardocp has some eyefinity resolution benchmarks. I think i can get $150-$180 for my 5850 and if I can , I will jump on the 6950 2GB for the frame buffer. IF its not a worth while upgrade , I will simply wait for 32nm .

That'll be a long wait
- 32nm was cancelled by TSMC more than a year ago!

- TSMC's 28nm has recently been delayed, so it may have slipped into 2012
- GF will probably be ready with 28nm at about the same time
(as, I think, GF haven't shipped 32nm yet)

Call me a fanboy all you want, I went from a GTX285 -> 5970, and now I'm waiting to see who gives me better performance, how many AMD cards have you ever run?

if you want to follow Dans decision like a sheep without even waiting for the facts, or even understanding what he posted, be my guest, your wallet can share his vote, I'll wait till my wallet finds what suits it best :)

and since you can't seem to read and comprehend at the same time, let me break it down for you
DAN RUNS 3 30" MONITORS WITH THE 5XXX CROSSFIRE + EYEFINITY(MULTI MONITOR) SUCKED, WHICH DAN CLEARLY STATED, IF YOU HAD READ PAST THE FIRST LINE OR 2 YOU MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN THAT PART TOO. SO IT MAKES SENSE FOR DAN TO BUY NVIDIA CARDS THIS ROUND, SINCE HIS LAST EXPERIENCE WITH AMD AND MULTI-MONITOR / MULTI GPU SUCKED, EVEN IF THE 6970 IS A BETTER VALUE, OR FASTER THAN THE GTX580, OR EVEN SLOWER AND MORE EXPENSIVE IT MAKES SENSE FOR DAN TO BUY GTX580S

Hope that clears it up for you.

Nice use of Colour & Capitalisation!

Probably. As long as the performance of the 6970 is close enough to the GTX 580 he'll be able to highlight what he considers NVIDIA's weaknesses and given the price point it looks like the 6970 will hit, he'll argue it's value. The sad part is he'll be right for the most part even if his hatred for NVIDIA has reached irrational proportions.

Yes, but considering what he's being saying about NI/SI all year, he's got be feeling a bit foolish at the moment!
:D

I think AMD will be able to work out the kinks at lower resolutions through drivers. It is unprecedented for a card to beat its rival by 10% at 2560x1800 and lose by 10% at 1920x1080. The 6950 is still a winner even if they can't.

I think AMD will be able to work out the kinks at lower resolutions through drivers. It is unprecedented for a card to beat its rival by 10% at 2560x1800 and lose by 10% at 1920x1080. The 6950 is still a winner even if they can't.

The extra memory is probably helping at higher resolutions...

The extra memory is probably helping at higher resolutions...
Not necessarily. Few games actually exceed 1GB at 2560*1600, let alone 1.5GB as the 580 has. Even with a significant amount of AA. The extra memory could definitely make a difference at bigger resolutions though.

That'll be a long wait
- 32nm was cancelled by TSMC more than a year ago!

- TSMC's 28nm has recently been delayed, so it may have slipped into 2012
- GF will probably be ready with 28nm at about the same time
(as, I think, GF haven't shipped 32nm yet)

i know , but a 6970 isn't really in the buget and if the 6950 isn't a big enough upgrade over the 5850 there isn't a reason for me to buy one. The next game I'm playing is the witcher 2 after that it will be star wars the old republic. I want to play both at eyefinity res with as many features maxed as possible.

If the 6950 offers 40-50% impovements over the 5850 i'd buy it. I know what your going to say , that its a tall order , but remember the 5850 has 1 gig of ram. So i'm hoping at eyefinity resolutions it makes that

Back