HD5870 to be $399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boooo...4850 lauched at $200. Sad indeed. Guess I'm going Nvidia next round.

Oh poo.

Too bad that giant thread next to this (saying it is $299) is wrong.

I don't believe it.

Has to be less money than this.

Boooo...4850 lauched at $200. Sad indeed. Guess I'm going Nvidia next round.

That's the whole point. Until there is an Nvidia next round, that's what it may cost. When Nvidia drags its ass around, it will drop to the competitive prices that we now enjoy from ATi.
I hope a few of the short sighted around here can remember what an ass drilling Nvidia was charging you all just before the 4800 series released and drove GFX cards prices back into the hands of the average enthusiast. A little fanboi ADD me thinks.

$299 is the price that I think it will start off at.

topdx11299.jpg

I never believed those claims of $299 for the 5870. Maybe after six months, but not at release. The prices listed in that BSN article seem a lot more realistic. We'll know for certain next week.

If they launch first they can charge whatever they want and the stupid immediate adopters will pay it.

Best bet is to not buy anything until the final pricing on this bad boy is released.

I believe it and I'm alright with it. Going by the rumored specs of 1600 sp's, 80 tmu's and 32rop it should be as fast or consistently faster than a 4870x2 which doesn't always scale 100% anyways. It my also be an extremely oc friendly card like the 4770. If that is the case than the $299/399 price point isn't too bad considering it's a new generation of cards and new technology.

This is the first time in a long time, or maybe ever that ATi has released a flagship before Nvidia and these prices aren't nearly as bad as what Nvidia's past two flagship cards were at launch. I believe the 8800GTX was about $500 and the GTX280 was $650.

It's also a safe price to be at before nvidia launches their cards and could probably give the company a little breathing room before any adjustments are made to the price.

I for one am extremely excited and if those specs hold true the 5870x2 could be an absolute beast.

Last edited:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233621

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/03/and-cypress-shader-count/
The real question that everyone is speculating about is the shader count. It is 1600 for Cypress, 800 for Juniper, going down from there. If clocks stay at their targets, more or less where the current R770 is, that should put the DX11 Cypress right on top of the GTX295 for a rumored $100 or so lower price, plus all the added features.

Basically
256bit memory bus

WTF man? A GTX 360 ofshoot of GT300 will easily cream 5870 if the specs hold to be true.

Last edited:
That means it will be 400 euro in UE (with all taxes, converging rates and rip-off cut :p)... that will be more expensive then x-fire 4890. I really hope card delivers, but I'm just more and more tempted to get rid of my powerhungry noisy 280s bastards and get me nice pair of Vapor-X, instead of one 5870

We shall see tho, when they hit shelves at my area

if its 299 I will bite. if its 399 I will wait. with the production issues at 40nm this is just what they may be hoping for. They may not have the inventory to launch at the lower price even if they wanted to (market share)

seriously doubt its going to be 399 when the performance is worse than a single 4870X2..

especially brightsideofnews is the source info, where we all know they have lots of FUD...

the yields for RV870 are really good and there should be a significant chunk of chips coming to the market. According to the sources at hand, TSMC significantly improved the yield from the first batch of chips and that should significantly help the margins on these multi-billion parts
I thought they were still having yield issues with 40nm judging by the 4770's price and availability.

Might be that they were saving 40nm production capabilities to get the 58xx series ready. The 4770 would be test subject for all the stuff, while rest of wafers were waiting for Cypress

Yes,

If the 40 nm is working then there is much more gain in cranking out evergreen chips assuming demand will be larger than availability.

Does sound quite expensive, even for ATI, but hey, hopefully it will live up to everybody's expectations. I was surprised with ATI's 4800 series and I have high hopes for ATI's 5800 series. Very interested with the 5870x2 especially, I wonder how much faster would it be comparing to the 4870x2.

$299 / 399 sounds more feasible.

But this is AMD, logical might not play into the equation, and potential for greed will.

With no next generation card from Nvidia close, they could keep it high till they have to compete.

If its on par, better than GTX 295 levels, its gonna stay in that price range.

On paper its slower.. I can't wait to see some benchmarks. If its faster then a 4870x2 I could see it being 399... I hope not though.

how is it slower on paper?

a 4870x2 doesn't equal 4870 x 2 in performance,
800 sp x2 = 1600sp and say about a 25-30% performance hit for being a crossfire setup, 1600x.75 = 1200sp :p not to mention it gets worse on some games. I'd say a 5870 will be on par or better then a 4870x2 maybe sometimes a slight bit slower

that's going on the assumption that the 5870 will be a 1200sp part

how is it slower on paper?

a 4870x2 doesn't equal 4870 x 2 in performance,
800 sp x2 = 1600sp and say about a 25-30% performance hit for being a crossfire setup, 1600x.75 = 1200sp :p not to mention it gets worse on some games. I'd say a 5870 will be on par or better then a 4870x2 maybe sometimes a slight bit slower

that's going on the assumption that the 5870 will be a 1200sp part

your also assuming that the stream processors are going to indicate the performance, and that the scaling is liner.

I am hoping your right though :D

I predict it will launch with an MSRP of 299 - cost between 350-400$ at launch, and eventually level off near the 300$ mark in 30 days.

If it's MSRP is 399 - I will not be going ATI this round. I wanted underdog performance at a good price... If I'm paying that kind of cash, I'd much rather go nVidia - and not deal with the driver issues.

your also assuming that the stream processors are going to indicate the performance, and that the scaling is liner.

I am hoping your right though :D

I think we are all assuming until the card actually gets released.

I predict it will launch with an MSRP of 299 - cost between 350-400$ at launch, and eventually level off near the 300$ mark in 30 days.

If it's MSRP is 399 - I will not be going ATI this round. I wanted underdog performance at a good price... If I'm paying that kind of cash, I'd much rather go nVidia - and not deal with the driver issues.

I dunno, it kind of makes sense that they'll be launched at $400; this way they have a part at every price point ($400 5870, $300 5850, $200 4890, $150 4870, $100 4850, etc).

And I find it kind of funny that people keep mentioning ATI driver issues. I used to be an ATI guy exclusively, switched to nvidia this round and so far have had more problems with drivers on my GTX 260 than the entirety of my ATI lifespan.

I dunno, it kind of makes sense that they'll be launched at $400; this way they have a part at every price point ($400 5870, $300 5850, $200 4890, $150 4870, $100 4850, etc).

And I find it kind of funny that people keep mentioning ATI driver issues. I used to be an ATI guy exclusively, switched to nvidia this round and so far have had more problems with drivers on my GTX 260 than the entirety of my ATI lifespan.

Depends on the luck of the games. One game I played (Mount and Blade) had a huge issue with drivers for several months... it sucked but eventually was fixed... but sheesh it sucked. Hope to not have any of my favorite games not work due to drivers in the future.

I'm not buying at 400$. I can hold out until the price drops to 250$ or below.

QFT. I've been using ATI for years and years, with a Nvidia thrown in there once in a while, and I never understood all of complaints about ATI drivers. They're as good as anyone else, and, frankly, better and more current than most drivers for most PC hardware across the board.

Both sets of drivers suck, both sets of drivers are great.

Better to view it as a pox on both houses more than anything else.

As true as that might be - I personally think ATI's strategy shouldn't be to corner the market with every available price point - but to power through more and more of nVidia's sales figures.

ATI made one hell of a comeback last round - I think they'll want try their best this round as well.

And about the drivers... Well, it's subjective of course. Nonetheless - ATI drivers have caused me major headaches on several occasions... From their inability to let me use my secondary AIW card, to CCC nuking my entire OS install... I'd take my chances with the green camp for 399$ (Having said that - and having been loyal to NVidia since I started building systems - I've yet to have a single issue with their drivers on any of my systems, or the hundreds I've built for clients. No, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest...).

The one plus that ATI does have - and one of the reasons I'm even considering the 870's - is ATT... But there's no guarantee it's producer will make it compatible with the 5870's...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233621

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/03/and-cypress-shader-count/

Basically

WTF man? A GTX 360 ofshoot of GT300 will easily cream 5870 if the specs hold to be true.

Umm, what?

You do realize 4870/90 is 256 bus and gave 448/512 bit Nvidia parts all they wanted, right? ATI uses GDDR5, which gives about double the bandwidth per bit. So a 256 bit with GDDR5=Nvidia's 512 bit with GDDR3, at least for this current generation.

Maybe you're assuming Nvidia will be switching to GDDR5 this gen, which they might. But still, given ATI is doubling shader count this gen, I dont see Nvidia greatly surpassing that (in fact, I think the rumor was GT300=512 SP's, about 2X GT200, just like ATI's increase from 800>1600).

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is a little faster again with GT300, just like this time around. Once again though, ATI is likely to be a lot smaller/leaner/cheaper to build, if last gen repeats, which is Nvidias real problem. Who cares if Nvidia is 10% faster, if their chips are 2x as big.

As true as that might be - I personally think ATI's strategy shouldn't be to corner the market with every available price point - but to power through more and more of nVidia's sales figures.

ATI made one hell of a comeback last round - I think they'll want try their best this round as well.

And about the drivers... Well, it's subjective of course. Nonetheless - ATI drivers have caused me major headaches on several occasions... From their inability to let me use my secondary AIW card, to CCC nuking my entire OS install... I'd take my chances with the green camp for 399$ (Having said that - and having been loyal to NVidia since I started building systems - I've yet to have a single issue with their drivers on any of my systems, or the hundreds I've built for clients. No, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest...).

The one plus that ATI does have - and one of the reasons I'm even considering the 870's - is ATT... But there's no guarantee it's producer will make it compatible with the 5870's...

I've had a good driver experience with ATi this time around until 9.8 Hotfix under windows 7. I've had very few driver issues with my GTX280 rig downstairs too... just stupid brightness issues.

I think this threads title is 100 dollars off. If they really want to sell an X2 variation, it's gonna be real tough at 700-750 dollars. I spent 550 on my 4870x2, but 700 for the X2 is absurd. (I'm basing the price off of the 4870 release at 299, the 4870x2 at 449.99, and adding the difference to the single card over 2 of them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back