• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

HD5850 Price Increases

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
7,437
Just did a search on Google Shopping and found HD5850 Prices at many online vendors have increased. Even though at most retailers the item is not even available.

Looks like the first wave of users are pleased.

I hope the price goes back to normal.
 
Not to be mean or anything, but I dont get these threads--your talking about retail business, which means they do business for profit, actually they exist for profit. They are not here to make your life happier and selling it at the MSRP. Or else businesses wont exist. If a product is selling fairly well, and there are shortages, then they will jack up the price. It's economics, it's business, it's life, get used to it.
 
I understand the business part. Just reporting the situation.

As a consumer of course I'm not happy.
 
I understand the business part. Just reporting the situation.

As a consumer of course I'm not happy.

Well you got your 5850 before the prices increased right? So ... feel relieved? I know I'm very relieved I actually got a 5870 on launch day. Fast refresh and not being productive at work = win.
 
Well you got your 5850 before the prices increased right? So ... feel relieved? I know I'm very relieved I actually got a 5870 on launch day. Fast refresh and not being productive at work = win.

I got a fair price on the HD5850. Not really a good deal. Diamond HD5850 cost a little more than most but my benchmarks have already earned hall of fame status with it, so the extra money seems worth it.
 
Got mine at Tigerdirect for $259..thanks goodness for no CA tax.

Just got to be patient, they will go back down to $259 soon. I think most vendors just want to get rid of all the 4850s, 4870s, etc.
 
Remember when Nvidia's 8800GT was selling for $350 when its MSRP was $249.99 ?
 
this seems to happen with all the newest, bang for the buck cards, upon launch. Keep the supply trickling in, built a shit-hot part and demand skyrockets. retailers can charge over MSRP for the part, the OEMs can't keep the supply up (or aren't, whether they can, or not) and demand continues to skyrocket.

The 8800GT suffered from this. The 8800GTS and GTX suffered from this, as well.

It's AMDs turn, this time. same shit, different day
 
Not all that surprising. Especially since it sounds like a large reason for the shortages isn't under their control. TSMC's 40nm process seems to be a bit dodgy and has some yield troubles. That translates to less finished products available for sale, but also to higher costs. When you get chips fabbed, you pay per wafer. Thus the less chips on that wafer that are usable, the more your cost per usable chip is.
 
TSMC's 40nm process seems to be a bit dodgy and has some yield troubles. That translates to less finished products available for sale

That same excuse keeps coming up.

To me it seems like it is more about making more money.

The card is hot.
 
I suspect pricing on HD5770s soon to go up as well.


The HD5870 already seems over priced enough.
 
Last edited:
I wonder, I would hazard a guess that this is more or less AMD trying to slow demand for the new series until they can get a working stock of them. They would LOVE to be selling all these cards at launch prices if they could, I think they obviously learned from Nvidia launch of the GTX280 and avoided blatant price gouging for lack of competition. You know this has to be maddening to them. as bad as AMD is hurting they needed to capitalize on this only to have TSMC be unable to hold up
 
Just discussed the current state of the economy in the U.S with some friends and it sucks anyways.

Sooo... ATI can raise their prices on the limited produced products and still profit because those people with money will buy these cards.

The Poor people can buy the 4000 series at discounted prices.

It's all good.
 
not Ati raising the prices, but their supply influences the price, vote with your wallet, don't buy it if you feel like you getting ripped off, geez no-ones holding a gun to your head saying buy a 5850 now or else :)
 
Just discussed the current state of the economy in the U.S with some friends and it sucks anyways.

Sooo... ATI can raise their prices on the limited produced products and still profit because those people with money will buy these cards.

The Poor people can buy the 4000 series at discounted prices.

It's all good.

It's the retailers raising the prices. Why did you create this thread? It is well known on [H] the prices are high. This has nothing to do with the economy.
 
The XFX 5850 can be reserved at Amazon.com for $259.99 and free shipping.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am sure ATI would rather have more cards available to flood the market with. Having the card selling out everywhere just means that they are not making as much of a profit off of the cards as they can. Plus the faster ATI can get the cards out the door, the more they can sell before Nvidia releases their new chips. This is crutial if Nvidia's card ends up being really good. Of course if Nvidia's new cards are not good, the prices will just remain high and still sell well.
 
The XFX 5850 can be reserved at Amazon.com for $259.99 and free shipping.

The last time I reserved 2 HD4770s at Amazon I waited over a month then gave up and bought the HD4770s some where else.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am sure ATI would rather have more cards available to flood the market with. Having the card selling out everywhere just means that they are not making as much of a profit off of the cards as they can. Plus the faster ATI can get the cards out the door, the more they can sell before Nvidia releases their new chips. This is crutial if Nvidia's card ends up being really good. Of course if Nvidia's new cards are not good, the prices will just remain high and still sell well.


I think it's all calculated. All about making money. Remember the HD4770 was supposed to be a $99 card. There has to be a profit.
 
I think it's all calculated. All about making money. Remember the HD4770 was supposed to be a $99 card. There has to be a profit.

and they could make money on it, had TSMC been able to supply it. they are in no way making up for loosing volume with this price hike. not to mention the market share that they should be taking here, very hard to put a dollar amount on that.
 
I think it's all calculated. All about making money. Remember the HD4770 was supposed to be a $99 card. There has to be a profit.

gah. I've got 3 million articles to link you to on super high 40nm leakage. Give me your favorite tech site and I'll link you to a story they did on how TSMC was struggling at 40nm, or actually, LMGTFY.

Anyways, its simple price gouging. ATI wanted a hit, they got one. Welcome to new-gen graphics card success fallout. We've been through this every time a new successful card has come out, at least as far back as the 6800... and these price hike pale in comparison to the all-mighty $800 6800 Ultra, The MSRP for that card was never above... what $699 I think? $649?

edit: hah! I never thought I'd be thankful to NCIX for their poor house keeping, but just to show you guys, I wasn't exaggerating.
 
I've heard TSMC is go, TSMC is slow, TSMC is go,. very inconsistent.
 
Last edited:
reeman2k6 [H]Lite, 4.3 Years

freeman2k6 is offline
XFX 5850 on Amazon
The XFX 5850 can be reserved at Amazon.com for $259.99 and free shipping.

I ordered one 10/2 and just received it yesterday.
 
gah. I've got 3 million articles to link you to on super high 40nm leakage. Give me your favorite tech site and I'll link you to a story they did on how TSMC was struggling at 40nm, or actually, LMGTFY.

Anyways, its simple price gouging. ATI wanted a hit, they got one. Welcome to new-gen graphics card success fallout. We've been through this every time a new successful card has come out, at least as far back as the 6800... and these price hike pale in comparison to the all-mighty $800 6800 Ultra, The MSRP for that card was never above... what $699 I think? $649?

edit: hah! I never thought I'd be thankful to NCIX for their poor house keeping, but just to show you guys, I wasn't exaggerating.

True that, I think ATI was paying attention to the back lash Nvidia experienced the last card release. Props to AMD for paying attention esp when they need the cash flow. I am actually more worried about Nvidia's next gen here, theirs is even bigger and more complex, if these issues aren't fixed they are going to have worse issues then AMD
 
Well you got your 5850 before the prices increased right? So ... feel relieved? I know I'm very relieved I actually got a 5870 on launch day. Fast refresh and not being productive at work = win.

I was lucky to get a 5850 on launch day at newegg, specifically the XFX brand, AT MSRP. I'm very happy! :D
 
Supply and demand. Is it that complicated?

Unless you guys really want the government to step in and start controlling the gpu market then enjoy your HD 5850/5870s eta Q4 2010 and G300 Fermi eta Q1 2011. Also pricing will be as follows; $600, $850 for 50s and 70s and $999 for G300 Fermi.

As always with government products, pricing is completely non negotiable.


Also posting in Sonda banned thread.
 
Supply and demand. Is it that complicated?

Unless you guys really want the government to step in and start controlling the gpu market then enjoy your HD 5850/5870s eta Q4 2010 and G300 Fermi eta Q1 2011. Also pricing will be as follows; $600, $850 for 50s and 70s and $999 for G300 Fermi.

As always with government products, pricing is completely non negotiable.


Also posting in Sonda banned thread.

Huh? You're talking crazy talk. What are you talking about anyhow? :p
 
He talking about the nuclear option:

Socialism.

That will make sure prices stay the same, no matter how high they are.
 
Back
Top