• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD5770x2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4770 wasn't a new design. It was just an RV770 chip with some of the GPU removed and a die shrink. In terms of architecture, it's identical to the 4830/4850/4870/4890.

ach... I got this confused with how ATi did the R710 chip!
 
I don't think there's any solid specs out for the 5770 yet but the rumors I've seen places it at about 4890 performance. If priced similar to the 4770, the 5770x2 would offer an insane amount of performance for about $200. I don't see why you feel it doesn't make sense? X2 chips allow ATi to cover all their bases for the GT300 release.

4770 crossfire still gives users and incredible amount of performance for about $200. 4770 Crossfire and the 4850x2 are the two gems from last generation imo. Mind blowing performance for very little coin.



Words of wisdom!!! :cool:
 
ach... I got this confused with how ATi did the R710 chip!
The entire 4000 series is based around the same architecture, just with different amounts of SPs, ROPs, TMUs, and different-width memory buses.
 
4770 crossfire still gives users and incredible amount of performance for about $200. 4770 Crossfire and the 4850x2 are the two gems from last generation imo. Mind blowing performance for very little coin.

The 4850 was launched around 200$. Do you think if ATI had the 4770 from the start that it would launch at it's $100 price point. Also would the GTX275 have launch around $250 if it got released the same time as the GTX280 and GTX260. That's my whole argument on these price claims. Why would it be priced around the 4770. There's nothing official but come on. It's the next step below the 5850 and should be priced as such. $175-190 would be the logical launch price for the 5770. Look at it's place in the lineup instead of just going by what the 4770 price wise. The 4850 was already getting below the $120 mark when the 4770 came out. So I would give you a 30$ msrp difference at the time and your expecting the 5770 to be more than $100 cheaper than the 5850.

I'm just applying my own logic here. We shall find out soon enough, I will gladly take any amount of shit if SonDa's values end up the truth.

EDIT: Thank god I wasn't crazy.

"HD5700 will be with 1120 stream processors and 56 texture units TMU, the memory is GDDR5.
目前所知將有HD5770(199美元)及HD5750(149美元),HD5770將取代現在的HD4890,而HD5750則是取代HD4870。​
Far as we know there will be HD5770 (199 dollars) and HD5750 (149 U.S. Dollar), HD5770 will replace the current HD4890, the HD5750 is to replace the HD4870."
 
The 4850 was launched around 200$. Do you think if ATI had the 4770 from the start that it would launch at it's $100 price point. Also would the GTX275 have launch around $250 if it got released the same time as the GTX280 and GTX260. That's my whole argument on these price claims. Why would it be priced around the 4770. There's nothing official but come on. It's the next step below the 5850 and should be priced as such. $175-190 would be the logical launch price for the 5770. Look at it's place in the lineup instead of just going by what the 4770 price wise. The 4850 was already getting below the $120 mark when the 4770 came out. So I would give you a 30$ msrp difference at the time and your expecting the 5770 to be more than $100 cheaper than the 5850.

I'm just applying my own logic here. We shall find out soon enough, I will gladly take any amount of shit if SonDa's values end up the truth.

EDIT: Thank god I wasn't crazy.

"HD5700 will be with 1120 stream processors and 56 texture units TMU, the memory is GDDR5.
目前所知將有HD5770(199美元)及HD5750(149美元),HD5770將取代現在的HD4890,而HD5750則是取代HD4870。​
Far as we know there will be HD5770 (199 dollars) and HD5750 (149 U.S. Dollar), HD5770 will replace the current HD4890, the HD5750 is to replace the HD4870."

Of course it's not going to be $100 @ launch but it will reach that level once nvidia releases the proper cards. If it can compete with the GTX275/285 why not price it as such?
 
Of course it's not going to be $100 @ launch but it will reach that level once nvidia releases the proper cards. If it can compete with the GTX275/285 why not price it as such?

Umm, thats the whole point. Some reason I took the wrong part of your quote out. I was mainly replying to this part.

I don't think there's any solid specs out for the 5770 yet but the rumors I've seen places it at about 4890 performance. If priced similar to the 4770, the 5770x2 would offer an insane amount of performance for about $200. I don't see why you feel it doesn't make sense?

It just seems people are hooked on the $100 price point the 4770 came out at and ignore its number placement position because it was a special case as that it came out considerably later. The values of the whole 4800 series were already getting close to half of what they were. There's no reason to think the 5770 would be that cheap. This is why it doesn't make sense to answer your question.

Why wouldn't you expect the 4770 to be around 4890 levels. That's where it should be according to its model number in the first place.

Any card will reach a certain price depending on it's demand and value compared to the competition. No one said it didn't. I think the only reason I'm posting is from the fact you encouraged Sonda <.<.
 
Last edited:
But...rv740 and any 40nM rv770 offshoot is dead by now.

Its all about rv870 chips now.
 
HD5770 is not looking much better than the HD4770 from that review linked above.

I don't see the HD5770 being priced more than $149.99 at launch.
 
No it would be more like 2x2HD4890x2s if they ever made a HD4890x2.

You just used this to back up your price point argument.

HD5770 is not looking much better than the HD4770 from that review linked above.

I don't see the HD5770 being priced more than $149.99 at launch.

Now you're saying it's back at 4890 levels. It's almost an art on how it seems you walk the fine line between being a troll or oblivious fanboy to TWO video card models. I've had one too many drinks, I'm not sure if it appears that I'm trolling :eek: I'll be back whenever [H] gets the reviews up if this thread isn't locked by then.
 
I had a chance to look link for a preview and 5750's performance on par with 4770 at vantage for 150$ (may not be a biggie for Dx11 and +512Mb ram ,waiting gaming test) but 5770 will have hard time at 200$ ,it have to compete against gtx260/275 and 5850 is just 59$ more.Can 5770 give 80% of 5850 performance ?It is what i would expect when i pay 80% of 5850 price to 5770
There's no reason to think the 5770 would be that cheap. This is why it doesn't make sense to answer your question.
Any card will reach a certain price depending on it's demand and value compared to the competition..
 
For the 5770 to launch at $150 it would probably have to be gimped in some significant way? 512MB ram in addition to lower number of stream processors? I'm thinking it will retail for $179 and be 1GB.
 
I don't see the sense of a 5770x2 or 5770 Crossfire. Even if the 5770 comes in at $149 (I think it will be closer to 179-199), wouldn't it make more sense (price/performance-wise) to just buy a single 5850 and overclock it to near 5870 levels?
 
The only way I can see the 5770 being worthy of any attentions is if AMD uses it as a test for their 32nm chips. With the 5850 being so cheap for so much performance, there isn't any real reason to look at another mid-ranger card. With the new Nvidia cards coming out, eventually, the prices should drop to a even more manageable $199-$220.
 
The only way I can see the 5770 being worthy of any attentions is if AMD uses it as a test for their 32nm chips. With the 5850 being so cheap for so much performance, there isn't any real reason to look at another mid-ranger card. With the new Nvidia cards coming out, eventually, the prices should drop to a even more manageable $199-$220.

Eventually is the key word though, so the 5850 will stay a cool $260 for a while. These new cards are supposed to be released at the end of this month.

Keep in mind that most people don't want to spend over $200 for a video card or don't have the adequate requirements for one (case, psu), so the 5770/5750 would be a very attractive option for them.
 
If ATI was thinking about doing a HD4770x2 why would they not consider a HD5770x2?
If ATI didn't release a 4770X2 then why would they release a 5770X2?

If there ever is a 5770X2, it'll be a third-party card similar to the 4850X2.
 
If ATI didn't release a 4770X2 then why would they release a 5770X2?

If there ever is a 5770X2, it'll be a third-party card similar to the 4850X2.

My take is that HD5000 series was about to come out and didn't want to deter the spot light from the HD5000 series.

ATI claims there was production problems with 40nm gpus as well. ATI did go on record saying the following:

“A dual ASIC board utilizing the ATI Radeon HD 4770 chip is a great concept idea. This would be up to our partners to bring to market,” said Patrick Moorhead, vice president of advanced marketing at AMD, in an interview with Technologizer web-site.

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/..._Radeon_HD_4770_X2_Is_Great_Concept_Idea.html


Oh slightly off topic but check out my 1000/1200 GPU-Z info on my Xfired HD4770s. :)
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/4wsgs/
 
My take is that HD5000 series was about to come out and didn't want to deter the spot light from the HD5000 series.

ATI claims there was production problems with 40nm gpus as well. ATI did go on record saying the following:



Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/..._Radeon_HD_4770_X2_Is_Great_Concept_Idea.html
And that was my point. If there is a 5770X2, it will be something like the 4850X2 in the sense that it will be designed and produced by ATI's AIB partners and not ATI themselves. Although I doubt that there will be a 5770X2 altogether. ATI would end up just competing with themselves, since they'd have too many products within the same price and performance range.
 
And that was my point. If there is a 5770X2, it will be something like the 4850X2 in the sense that it will be designed and produced by ATI's AIB partners and not ATI themselves.

So then you admit that there it is a possibility that there will be an HD5770x2? :)
 
So then you admit that there it is a possibility that there will be an HD5770x2? :)
There's a possibility that I'll win the lottery and become a millionaire as well. That doesn't mean that there's a good chance of it actually happening.
 
There's a possibility that I'll win the lottery and become a millionaire as well. That doesn't mean that there's a good chance of it actually happening.

Oh no. I think there is a good chance there will be a HD5770x2. :)
 
And that was my point. If there is a 5770X2, it will be something like the 4850X2 in the sense that it will be designed and produced by ATI's AIB partners and not ATI themselves. Although I doubt that there will be a 5770X2 altogether. ATI would end up just competing with themselves, since they'd have too many products within the same price and performance range.
Bingo. There's no need for it, hence it wouldn't be worth the time and cost to manufacture such a card. Low-end dual card configurations are niche market ever since high-end GPU prices plummeted with the 48xx series.
 
The only way I can see the 5770 being worthy of any attentions is if AMD uses it as a test for their 32nm chips. With the 5850 being so cheap for so much performance, there isn't any real reason to look at another mid-ranger card. With the new Nvidia cards coming out, eventually, the prices should drop to a even more manageable $199-$220.
Someone else mentioned it already... power requirements. For a quicky upgrade for someone who doesn't want to spend the money to upgrade the power supply that came with his Best Buy computer, the 5770 might be perfect.
 
Someone else mentioned it already... power requirements. For a quicky upgrade for someone who doesn't want to spend the money to upgrade the power supply that came with his Best Buy computer, the 5770 might be perfect.
The 5770 most likely won't have significantly lower power requirements than the cards that are already out. Unlike the 4770, it isn't built on a smaller process than the other GPUs in its generation.
 
Oh no. I think there is a good chance there will be a HD5770x2. :)

Your unnatural attachment to your 4770's is hilarious. Half of your posts contain some form of 4770 worship and now your even going nuts over the possibility of a 5770x2 when there will clearly be better options available. Were you paid by ATI to proclaim your exuberant and endless love for the 4770's?
 
The 5770 most likely won't have significantly lower power requirements than the cards that are already out. Unlike the 4770, it isn't built on a smaller process than the other GPUs in its generation.

By this logic the 4830 doesn't require significantly less power than the 4890, since they are both on a 55nm process.

I don't know what the TDP of a 5770 will be, but it's obviously a smaller card that will only require one 6-pin connector, so I don't understand a claim that it's power requirements won't be significantly lower because it's in the same generation/process as others.
 
By this logic the 4830 doesn't require significantly less power than the 4890, since they are both on a 55nm process.

I don't know what the TDP of a 5770 will be, but it's obviously a smaller card that will only require one 6-pin connector, so I don't understand a claim that it's power requirements won't be significantly lower because it's in the same generation/process as others.
A ~30W difference is not really what I consider significant, nor would it make much of a difference to someone with a store-bought PC. I do understand where you're coming from, but the power requirements of the entire 5000 series are fairly low to begin with.
 
Last edited:
I don't think there's any solid specs out for the 5770 yet but the rumors I've seen places it at about 4890 performance. If priced similar to the 4770, the 5770x2 would offer an insane amount of performance for about $200. I don't see why you feel it doesn't make sense? X2 chips allow ATi to cover all their bases for the GT300 release.

4770 crossfire still gives users and incredible amount of performance for about $200. 4770 Crossfire and the 4850x2 are the two gems from last generation imo. Mind blowing performance for very little coin.

haha 4850x2... have you ever listened to one of those things? sorry guys, that card is epic noise fail. plus, it has poor value. a single 4850 is about $100. two will run you $200. the 4850x2 was well over $220 for the majority of it's short, short, lifespan. i checked last week and it was $250. i frequent the [H]ot|Deals section pretty often and I never saw it for anything close to $200.
 
A ~30W difference is not really what I consider significant, nor would it make much of a difference to someone with a store-bought PC. I do understand where you're coming from, but the power requirements of the entire 5000 series are fairly low to begin with.

It might be 30W difference, or who knows maybe the 5770 will come in at 110W and be 40-50W less.

I'm just saying for the guy who wants to game on his 1440x900 monitor with his 350W PSU and older CPU the 5770 might be a better choice. There is definitely a market for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top