• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD5770 Performance Lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
7,437
I thought they were going to be what the HD4770 was to the 4000 series but right now they are looking weak.

What went wrong?

Does anybody else feel like the HD5770 got robbed in performance?

I'm feeling that way right now. :(
 
Last edited:
I thought they were going to be what the HD4770 was to the 4000 series but right now they are looking weak.

What went wrong?

Does anybody else feel like the HD5770 got robbed in performance?

I'm feeling that way right now. :(

Didn't you buy a 5850?

Why post about you feeling robbed from the 5770.....specially when everyone knew it wouldnt be as fast as you thought.

You sir are the only one who was let down for hyping it.

And if you need to talk about how bad the performance is, there is a thread for it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1460382
 
Last edited:
Didn't you buy a 5850?

Why post about you feeling robbed from the 5770.....specially when everyone knew it wouldnt be as fast as you thought.

You sir are the only one who was let down for hyping it.

And if you need to talk about how bad the performance is, there is a thread for it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1460382


Yes I did buy a HD5850.

Still not pleased with the performance of the HD5770.

Maby I am the only one that is not pleased. I thought it would be better.
 
pssst SonDa... I think DASHIT might be stalking you... call the cops...

ehrm*ahem*...

yes well, the 5770 was a launch card, the 4770 was not. I have no doubt by x-mas 2010 you're going to see or at least have some confirmed rumors on some 32nm or smaller parts from ATI (how they're going to work them into the current card naming scheme I dont know... 5790 and 5830 maybe?)... Or who knows, There are rumors that the 6000's will be here as early as x-mas next year.

But yeah, from a consumer standpoint ATI kinda cornered themselves with the 5770. The HD4870 (which I think we can all agree is pretty well the same package) was going for $130. Thats a barely profitable chip. AMD needs margines right now (as, incase you haven't noticed, their CPU sector is in full retreat with no signs of retaliation until 2H 2011 (2 more whole years!!!) For ATI to pay for both itself and AMD, they need to ship the RV850 in huge numbers at high margines --and quite frankly, as a relief to their stock investors, I think they can pull it off come this x-mas season. If the 5800's can hold some mindshare against fermi through december the 5770 autta sell like hot cakes.

But from a performance standpoint, the 5770 is really just more-of-same. Its just that now AMD is making a little more money.
 
pssst SonDa... I think DASHIT might be stalking you... call the cops...

ehrm*ahem*...

yes well, the 5770 was a launch card, the 4770 was not. I have no doubt by x-mas 2010 you're going to see or at least have some confirmed rumors on some 32nm or smaller parts from ATI (how they're going to work them into the current card naming scheme I dont know... 5790 and 5830 maybe?)... Or who knows, There are rumors that the 6000's will be here as early as x-mas next year.

But yeah, from a consumer standpoint ATI kinda cornered themselves with the 5770. The HD4870 (which I think we can all agree is pretty well the same package) was going for $130. Thats a barely profitable chip. AMD needs margines right now (as, incase you haven't noticed, their CPU sector is in full retreat with no signs of retaliation until 2H 2011 (2 more whole years!!!) For ATI to pay for both itself and AMD, they need to ship the RV850 in huge numbers at high margines --and quite frankly, as a relief to their stock investors, I think they can pull it off come this x-mas season. If the 5800's can hold some mindshare against fermi through december the 5770 autta sell like hot cakes.

But from a performance standpoint, the 5770 is really just more-of-same. Its just that now AMD is making a little more money.

It's true I stalk stupidity.

This guy is worst person on [H]ardocp on giving people advice. He is wrong 90% of the time, and tells people to flash there 4770 bios with a 5770 bios because the GPU core looks the same.

I am sorry man, but its true I stalk stupidity
 
It's true I stalk stupidity.

This guy is worst person on [H]ardocp on giving people advice. He is wrong 90% of the time, and tells people to flash there 4770 bios with a 5770 bios because the GPU core looks the same.

I am sorry man, but its true I stalk stupidity

You need a new hobby. IF it were possible to do the flash I'm sure people would do it. I did contemplate the idea but it turned into a joke. Grow up.
 
FYI, your expectation for 5770 performance was a bit ridiculous IMO. I mean did you expect it to be as fast as a gtx280? Lol!
 
I was expecting at least 1.6 times the performance of HD4770. That is what most of the media was reporting.
 
5770 does exactly what it should do.
price/performance and dx11.
up to 1920x1200 its a great card.
replacing the same performances by an older generation and adding feature as eyefinity and dx11 is really nice.

5850 fills the price/performance at high end.
same price as 4870 was when it launched.
twice the stuff for the same price is really good value.

overclocking the 5770 allows it also to be a great additional value.
 
*rubs eyes* a sonda thread TRASHING a *770 card?!

the 5770 is what it is.. Im just disapointed there isnt a 4890 equivalant dx11 card out yet, and probably wont be until well into quarter 1 or 2 next year when fermi is released
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Last edited:
I was expecting at least 1.6 times the performance of HD4770. That is what most of the media was reporting.

ugh where did the media ever say that? they said that the 5870 would be 1.6x as fast as the 4890 not the 5770 to the 4770
 
What went wrong?

128-bit bus

Same as the 64-bit bus cards of yore. Of course we're rocking GDDR5 now but you can't cripple a nice core like that with no memory bandwidth.

I agree with OP, the price should be $20-30 less to reflect its performance relative to other offerings.
 
Stop complaining, the 5770 is a mainstream card that is almost as fast as the 4870 but is power efficient. This card is for people with low PSU wattage and limited budget.

Yes it is more expensive than the 4870, but it is more future proof that 4870 imo.

thats why bought it
 
Stop complaining, the 5770 is a mainstream card that is almost as fast as the 4870 but is power efficient. This card is for people with los PSU wattage and limited budget.

Yes it is more expensive than the 4870, but it is more future proof that 4870 imo.

thats why bought it
 
Sonda has a malfunction, just ignore him.

He thinks the 4770 was some sort of revolutionary thing when it was yawn-worthy at best. A 4890 is faster than 2x 4770 ( [H] proved this ) and the energy consumption factor isn't really impressive, either. A single 4890 at the time of the [H] review was cheaper, too.

The 5770, however, is almost exactly where it should be all things considered.
 
Stop complaining, the 5770 is a mainstream card that is almost as fast as the 4870 but is power efficient. This card is for people with low PSU wattage and limited budget.

Yes it is more expensive than the 4870, but it is more future proof that 4870 imo.

thats why bought it

So much nonsense in one post. A stop gap card is not future proof, these are two opposing concepts. Low PSU wattage? That sentence hasn't applied in 5+ years.

I find myself in agreement with Sonda. I'm scared. The 5770 is for suckers, ATI pulled an nVidia on us. At least until it's price at $109 where it belongs.
 
If you game with SFF then yeah go ahead and gimp your system with a 5770, you deserve it. :p
 
Does anybody else feel like the HD5770 got robbed in performance?


I don't.

It is about right for a mid-range card. Overpriced though. If it debuted at $139, you would have seen a lot more people praising it. Probably will be the first 5 series card to officially drop msrp.

I will likely buy one but somewhere in the $100~110 range when it goes on sale later.
 
A 5770 at $100 would be a bargain, I'd like to see them at that price by Dec.
 
A 5770 at $100 would be a bargain, I'd like to see them at that price by Dec.


I doubt it.

Would be awesome but I really doubt it.

Seems like most places online are selling them for $159.99+.

Maby $139.99 for a black Friday deal but I don't see it happening.

I was checking out Fry's B&M pricing on the HD5770 and it is going to go for $199.99. For the XFX model.

My only complaint is that it is a little weak.

I have been doing HD5850 vs. 2 HD5770s in Xfire comparisons and so far the HD5850 beats a pair of HD5770s in xfire. HD5850 over clocked of course. My invetigation isn't done yet. There may be driver problems with the HD5770s.

A few online reviews have shown 2xHD5770 in Xfire to outperform a single HD5850.
Real world results so far have put an over clocked HD5850 ahead of two over clocked HD5770s in cross fire.

Need more data to back up my findings so far.
 
SonDa5 flogging a dead horse again, exactly how many threads about 4770 and 5770 do we need to have ?
 
SonDa5 flogging a dead horse again, exactly how many threads about 4770 and 5770 do we need to have ?

We should really honor him and ask that his tagname be changed to SonDa5770 or somthing like that. hehehe...

I don't understand the *770 infatuation either. It's like he's got the 5850 and can't get off the *770 crack! hahahaha...

He's just a bot that's going to start threads and once people respond he's going to show off his #6 ranking on HWbot.
 
It's like he's got the 5850 and can't get off the *770 crack! hahahaha...


Good comparison. The HD4770 was good stuff.

Currently ranked #4 for 3dMark03 in the hall of fame for the HD5850. I'm sure my rankings will get wasted once some pros tweak the HD5850 beyond what I have done.


I'm ranting about my displeasure over a video card on the internet.... Is that new or something? :D

I'm so close to going Xfire HD5770. I'm searching and searching for a reason to stay HD5850 and the only reason I can find is that the Hd5850 performs better than Xfired HD5770s. *770 crack is nasty.
 
I'm so close to going Xfire HD5770. I'm searching and searching for a reason to stay HD5850 and the only reason I can find is that the Hd5850 performs better than Xfired HD5770s. *770 crack is nasty.

This is a mental problem. See a shrink. You already have a 5850 and now you want to sell it and get 2x5770s? You're joking, right? Maybe not.

Look the 5770 is plenty fast. And it is FASTER than a 4770 easily. That's a fact. It gives about the same performance as a 4870 +/- a few fps. That's where the mainstream should be now. No it's not going to beat a 4890 but it is a better card than the one it replaced, has DX11, Eyefinity, etc.
 
Did you move the aftermarket heatsinks from your 4770s to the 5770's?

Maybe that will help your performance. ;)
 
Did you move the aftermarket heatsinks from your 4770s to the 5770's?

Maybe that will help your performance. ;)


The heat sinks will live on beyond the HD4770.

I would have loved to have put them on some HD5770s if they measured up.
Right now it is looking like 1 heat sink will go on a HD5850.

Big Bang Lucid chip may keep my HD4770s and HD5850 alive and well for quite awhile.
 
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/20

In the guru3d 5770 review, they also include crossfire 5770.
And for most the games two 5770 easily best a 5850, 5870, and 4870x2.
I picked up an asus 5770 for $135 at ewiz.
If I could get another one at that price it would be $270 for faster hardware then 5870 for $100 less (oh, and an extra 1gb of memory).
 
Last edited:
Sonda has a malfunction, just ignore him.

He thinks the 4770 was some sort of revolutionary thing when it was yawn-worthy at best. A 4890 is faster than 2x 4770 ( [H] proved this ) and the energy consumption factor isn't really impressive, either. A single 4890 at the time of the [H] review was cheaper, too.

The 5770, however, is almost exactly where it should be all things considered.

+1

The heat sinks will live on beyond the HD4770.

I would have loved to have put them on some HD5770s if they measured up.
Right now it is looking like 1 heat sink will go on a HD5850.

Big Bang Lucid chip may keep my HD4770s and HD5850 alive and well for quite awhile.

So after all of that bull about being able to transfer your heatsinks from the 4770 onward, you can't even put them on the 5770? Hold on I think I just laughed my balls off.
 
+1



So after all of that bull about being able to transfer your heatsinks from the 4770 onward, you can't even put them on the 5770? Hold on I think I just laughed my balls off.



I don't have any HD5770s available to put them on. The heat sink should fit on the HD5850 very nicely though.
 
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/20
If I could get another one at that price it would be $270 for faster hardware then 5870 for $100 less (oh, and an extra 1gb of memory).


I have seen that review. The thing is the HD5850 is a monster over clocker and when over clocked it can outperform 2 Xfired HD5770s. That has been my findings on message boards and HWbot so far.

If Xfire HD5770 can't beat single HD5850 I don't think it will beat a single HD5870.

I hope your experience proves wrong because HD5770 in Xfire seem like a great way to go if they did beat out a single HD5870.
 
This is a mental problem. See a shrink. You already have a 5850 and now you want to sell it and get 2x5770s? You're joking, right? Maybe not.
.

I'm trying my best to deal with making the best decision for my rig.

I want to start folding again as well.

Need more HD5770 Xfire reviews and users to show me the way.
 
Last edited:
1) HD5770 were never lacking, you were just delusional thinking they were better than they really are. I wonder what you would do if someone wore a HD4770 or HD5770 on themselves, would you jump on them and start doing unmentionable acts?

2) How about you make the best decision for your rig by yourself not posting the same crap over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ( see how annoying that is? ).

3) I wish "their" were less HDX770 reviews and BS spewed by Mr. SonDa5 @ hardforum.com
 
I don't get it, he has a 5850, but wants 5770CF? This is crayzee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top