HD555 Break in?

Kido1986

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2003
Messages
1,180
I can't wait!! My mother ordered me a pair of HD555s for Christmas, but of course that means I can't use them until then :( I can't freakin' wait though :-D

So, how long of a burn in will they take before sound quality is at its peak? Also, it has a 1/4" end with 1/8" adapter right? If so, I should invest in a different adapter that has a short cable length (instead of solid piece adapter) so it doesn't damage my iPod right?

Anything else I should be aware of with these headphones?
 
took mine around 200 hours to burn in

if you want a different adapter, the grado 1/4 -> 1/8 is a good choice

and if you have the 120ohm version you will need an amp but most of the newer HD555's are 50ohm
 
Hopefully its a newer one, just ordered from Amazon.

Amp is outta the question for me, the key here is portability.

BTW, noob questions here:

Are my Z680s considered an AMP? I can plug into them and crank the volume up on the speaker's controller.
 
my HD650's took a while to burn in... when i first got them they sounded like death and i immedietly wanted to return them... but i left them playing some bass heavy techo/trace for a few days and they sound quite nice now...
 
Ill let them run any time Im not at the computer. Do I just leave them at listening volume or turn them up? What about the z680/amp question?
 
I thought most Senns ended at the 1/8. My 600's do. Headphone "Burn In" is probably the biggest debated thing on most headfi forums. Some never notice it, others do. I spent about 48 hours with mine on all the time. I've noticed that over two years nothing sound wise has really changed. But I've heard a pair of HD580's before and after and it was big.
 
the 680 headphone output should be fine

when you burn it, it should be music with the full spectrum of frequencies and at a "high" volume level (not max volume!)

but its better to have the headphones directly plugged into the soundcard
 
Kido1986 said:
Hopefully its a newer one, just ordered from Amazon.

Amp is outta the question for me, the key here is portability.

BTW, noob questions here:

Are my Z680s considered an AMP? I can plug into them and crank the volume up on the speaker's controller.


If portability is the key, maybe 555's aren't for you. You will not be able to put them in your pocket.... I love mine however and they required no burn in. Then again my ears are damaged from years of loud music. Heh.
 
Do all speakers require break-in? I just got a set of Logitech's X-530's and they sound great but will they sound better after ~200hrs of random music and games?
 
I actually lit my Beyer DT 990 Pro's on fire to speed the burn in process.... It worked out great, and even some how cured my dandruff problems. Sweet!
 
Back
Top