HD38XX for AGP?

well, it's a good thing that Feb is a short month :p

this card will be perfect to hold me over until nehalem comes out. :D

Nice fan on that Club 3D Model. Guess they've learned a few things since the X1950 Pro AGP cards were released....

3850clubzq2.jpg

Available for pre-order in UK here for £158.57 including VAT. That would translate to $260 in USD without the VAT. Pretty much in line with what the X1950 Pro's costed as well initially. Hopefully they'll launch a bit cheaper in the US.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=608644

I had to shut down my pc for the first time in a month and guess what.....my 1950pro died! the pc was off for maybe 5min. i am not mad that it died, i am pissed that the 3850agp is not out yet :p i can't even buy a new 1950.

anyway, i am currently on my trusty 7000 radeon which never fails me.

My backup video cards are a GF2 mx400 PCI and an AGP 8500LE ...... great when in a pinch.

I wish the AGP HD3850 would hit the market already for under $250. It will be a great gaming upgrade for my aging x800xt and amd 939 3200+ (@2.6ghz). I haven't decided weather or not to purchase a 939 x2 cpu for $50-$100 too. I'll see how a single core cpu handles new games first.

defiantly go with an X2. i went from an A64 3200+ with an x800pro to an X1950xt, and then threw in an X2 4800+

it really woke up the 1950xt.

They lost me as a customer. When this was announced back in november I would have jumped on it. but waiting almost 5 months i've found better options. I can now get a core2duo system with a 3850 and ddr2 ram for a tad over $400 I could probably go even cheaper but I wanted a motherboard I could end up putting a quad core in.

They lost me as a customer. When this was announced back in november I would have jumped on it. but waiting almost 5 months i've found better options. I can now get a core2duo system with a 3850 and ddr2 ram for a tad over $400 I could probably go even cheaper but I wanted a motherboard I could end up putting a quad core in.

i don't mind the wait. I finished bioshock a few days back so my gaming fix is good for a few more weeks. But I will not wait beyond Feb and I will not pay more than $250 for one.

Heads-up Guys. the Sapphire HD 3850 512MB appears to be in stock at ExCaliberPC for $220. Haven't looked for anymore sites yet ....

I've been waiting for one of the HD 3850 AGPs to show up in the US, so I checked out that link. Unfortunately, one of the requirements is:

450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommanded.

My PSU is 460W, but I only have one 4-pin power connector :( I know if it needed a 6-pin I could use a converter cable, but what can I do about this situation? Other than wait for the GeCube or other manufacturer who uses a 6-pin connector?

BTW, the price has already shot up to $239 from $220 this morning.

what kind of psu do you have? something is a bit off here. my 10 year old psu has more then 1 4pin on it.

I've been waiting for one of the HD 3850 AGPs to show up in the US, so I checked out that link. Unfortunately, one of the requirements is:

450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommanded.

My PSU is 460W, but I only have one 4-pin power connector :( I know if it needed a 6-pin I could use a converter cable, but what can I do about this situation? Other than wait for the GeCube or other manufacturer who uses a 6-pin connector?

BTW, the price has already shot up to $239 from $220 this morning.

Now it's up to $249.

what kind of psu do you have? something is a bit off here. my 10 year old psu has more then 1 4pin on it.

I decided to open up the computer and start searching. The cords were all bundled up out of the way, and I actually found a free 4-pin that looked just like the 4-pin going into my current video card :) So I guess I'm good to go.

AndonSage, you see that where theyre saying they want 30amps on the 12volt line? Sheesh thought the 1950 was bad.

Well, I just got one also... If my 1950 can work fine with the PS I have hope that this one will also.

So, now to find drivers.. think Ill start with the 8.2 theyve worked the best with my 1950.

any ideas on drivers?

So, now to find drivers.. think Ill start with the 8.2 theyve worked the best with my 1950. any ideas on drivers?

I read that the 8.2 drivers don't work with the HD 3850 AGP, but that the drivers shipped with the Sapphire do work. So I'd say use the drivers that come with the card, and check in March for the 8.3 drivers.

Anyway, the info was in the overclockers forum: http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5482156&postcount=68

Yep, unfortunately, and also going on threads over at GURU3D, the Catalyst 8.2's do not work with HD3850 AGP, even though someone made a post elsewhere here that said that they would, based on what ATI supposedly said.

Below that thread is another with a link to beta drivers that are also supposed to work.

And yes, I saw that they wanted 30A on the 12V. I can't find anything in my documentation that says how many amps the 12V line has, so I'm just hoping I have enough. Supposedly Dell used good PSUs in their first gen XPS machines. I figure with the scarcity of the card, that if it doesn't work for me, I can always sell it. At least I only paid $211.15 instead of $249 :)

You may want to check with the BBB - one of the vendors is already out of stock and with the remaing two, one has no listing, the other a bad rating...

You may want to check with the BBB - one of the vendors is already out of stock and with the remaing two, one has no listing, the other a bad rating...

Actually, eWiz.com does have a rating, and it's very good. However, as of Friday night, they are sold out.

Looks like two more HD 3850 AGP Cards will be coming from HIS. An ICEQ3 and standard model.

I wonder if they won't be coming to market too late. They don't even have pictures for the web site yet. I think Sapphire is going to have the big market share, since they came out first. Although if someone has heat problems, the ICEQ3 would be a good choice.

At least there will be plenty of HD 3850 AGP cards available in the future... Sapphire, PowerColor, GeCube, HIS and one in Europe only (Club3d?).

I wonder if they won't be coming to market too late. They don't even have pictures for the web site yet. I think Sapphire is going to have the big market share, since they came out first. Although if someone has heat problems, the ICEQ3 would be a good choice.

At least there will be plenty of HD 3850 AGP cards available in the future... Sapphire, PowerColor, GeCube, HIS and one in Europe only (Club3d?).

No I don't think they're coming to market too late only because they're bringing a little something different to the table. First there's the ICEQ3 Cooler, but more importantly they have full HDMI support where as the other do not. This was pointed out to me by someone who's really into HTPCs on another forum.

Back