HD Stuttery

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
Decided to start a new thread asking about this since it was a separate issue -

I was running my HTPC with an added on ATI Radeon 4350 for a year or so because i did not have an HTPC. I just bought an HD tv and hooked it up and got the HDMI working. It is an Asus board with an Nvidia 8300 on board. Anyway, when I am watching video now in Windows Media Center, particularly when I bring up the guide and such while video is playing, it gets kind of stuttery. I'm wondering if it is because the video is now sharing memory with the system and not on its own card or what?

Was wondering about suggestions - my system has 2 gig of RAM, but I don't mind throwing in another 2 if you think that would help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Open the file in windows media player (64bit version) and see if its stuttery in that.

Open the file in windows media player (64bit version) and see if its stuttery in that.

I can try that, but it isn't like that all the time - I can play stuff and its ok, its when I try to bring up the on-screen guide and such while live tv or playback is going on - then it gets that way.

Do you have really, really slow hard drive transfers? If you do, it could possibly cause this type of a problem.

Also - have you tried to update the video drivers?

Do you have really, really slow hard drive transfers? If you do, it could possibly cause this type of a problem.

Also - have you tried to update the video drivers?

Well, its running on a Caviar Green drive...but until I put this over onto the HDMI onboard port, I didn't have the problem. I did upgrade the video drivers as soon as I got the HDMI working Friday night - so it should be the latest drivers from Nvidia...

Tell me if I'm thinking correctly here - prior to Friday, I was using an S-Video out - but even though I was using that, my recordings were still in HD - so its not like my file sizes have changed - I've only gone from an add-on card with its own memory to onboard HDMI with shared memory/sound.

I'm wondering if it is the video drivers then. That is the other difference, right? Maybe you need to go back a revision or two?

I'm wondering if it is the video drivers then. That is the other difference, right? Maybe you need to go back a revision or two?

Well but before I wasn't using an older video driver, I was using a completely different device, an ati radeon HD 4350 - now i'm using the onboard Nvidia GeForce 8300

So I asked elsewhere and the response I got was that the 8300 is probably not a decent chip for HD at high resolution. It was suggested to me that for HD, you need a video bandwidth of around 10-12GB per sec or better and the 8300 is only 6.4GB.

Looks like after all that, I may need to go back to another card, maybe an ATI 5 series?

So I asked elsewhere and the response I got was that the 8300 is probably not a decent chip for HD at high resolution. It was suggested to me that for HD, you need a video bandwidth of around 10-12GB per sec or better and the 8300 is only 6.4GB.

Looks like after all that, I may need to go back to another card, maybe an ATI 5 series?

Where did you ask?

If properly setup. the 8300 chipset is more than enough for playback of HD content.

Ok guys - so if its enough - what do I have going on? :D Just trying to solve my problem before the super bowl!

I heard about the dedicated memory thing, but could not find where to change it.

While piecing together my HTPC i heard a lot of people say the 8300 was more than enough for HD, well it is not. I experienced a lot of stuttering problems just like the OP is having and the only solution was to get a dedicated card. I stuck a 4670 in there when it was on sale at newegg and have since played flawless video.

Specs are in my sig.

I'm in the situation - I think Danny Bui may have given me my original specs - but I used an HD 4350 for Svideo out for a year, then switched to the 8300 now that I have an HDTV and have the problems.

No offense intended at all Danny, but you said if it is configured right it should work - but what is there to configure?

I have a GeForce 8200 board and it handles 1080p MKVs and dual-tuner HD recording without a hiccup.

I did have to do something, though:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/preferred-directshow-filters-tool-for-windows-7.html

This fixed the stuttering for MKVs.

Are you having the problem with recorded TV, video files, or both?

I Checked last night - seems to be both - they play ok if nothing else is going on, but if i bring up onscreen miniguide and such, the video quality deteriorates quickly.

I don't have any issues playing 1080P files thru 100mb wired network on my htpc using 8200IGP - 512mb via bvios ;) Maybe because I'm using MPC-HC with DXVA enabled, however if I remember correctly I didn't have any issues with WMC7 (32bit pro). The only thing 8200IGP doesn't do well:

- lacks dual-monitor support on dvi/hdmi (both connected at the same time).
- in some 1080P flicks I cannot use post-processing i.e. edge sharpening.

Otherwise the chipset IMHO is solid.

Follow this if you are into watching h264 with DXVA

Sorry friends - I upped the memory setting in the BIOS to 512 from 256 with no change at all. Next idea?

Did you download the linked utility and check the decoder settings?

Back