HD Performance Concerns

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I currently have a Seagate 1TB 7200.12 drive which doesn't appear to be performing up to par (based on HD Tach and Crystakl Disk scores). I'm looking for ideas on what may be influencing the lack of performance.

So far I've verified I have up-to-date MB bios and HD Firmware. Additionally, I'm running the drive on a 6gbs channel, and using AHCI settings in the bios.

Any thoughts on other things to try?

Thanks

Does CrystalDiskInfo say the drive is any status other than good?

Also are you benchmarking a full drive, nearly empty, somewhere in between? Remember a nearly full drive will have a much slower benchmark since the folder CDM creates will be at the end of the drive instead of the beginning. On some drives the STR at the end will be around 1/2 the STR of the beginning.

I'm at work, so I can't comment on the status at the moment. As for the drive, it was a freshly formatted 1TB, with about 875GB free at the moment.

I wasn't aware that would have a such an impact. Thanks for the thoughts.

Additionally, I'm running the drive on a 6gbs channel, and using AHCI settings in the bios.
I doubt that drive will do anything close to SATA3GB/s much less 6GB/s. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't help.

I really don't know what you are expecting but there's no help that can be had unless you can provide graphs.

Back